Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Dec 23, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #1,921 of 3,062
Quote:
Hmm I'd have to disagree with your impressions of the LCD2 and V200 paired up. I find the bass detailed and don't experience this overlapping of instruments. Subjective hobby is subjective.

as far as I remember Brat has promoted his v200+lcd2 combo a lot. I think this impression maybe just one night thing ( kind of got tired of your wife and want something new 
very_evil_smiley.gif
). Through I also found the v200 and lcd 2 to be quite congested some time to the point that I felt tired and that why I switched to the fostex 

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #1,923 of 3,062
Quote:
"All instruments are one over another, the bass is overwhelming and lacks detail, this sound is anything but neutral."

I've just finished a 2 week demo with the V200 and i agree with your description. It does some things really well with my LCD-2.2s such as vivid and smooth mid/upper-mid range, punchy and tuneful bass and there's hint of tube like sparkle in the low treble, but its bad points are far too distracting

- highs too rolled off
- bass is muddy at times and makes many instruments (lead guitars in particular) sound dull, thick and veiled
- plastic / glassy sound quality occasionally
- no sense of air around instruments

I compared it directly with the Burson Conductor for one of those weeks, feeding both amps with the Conductors DAC, a Asus Xonar Essence St and a Naim CD5 player. The Burson had much more clarity, but too cold sounding for me.
I would recommend others to demo the V200 before buying. I was all set to order one, just based off the comments in this thread. So far the best amp I've heard with the LCD-2 is the Red Wine Corvina that I'm demoing at the moment. I'm actually enjoying listening my LCD2s again with it. The Corvina lacks some power, but doesnt share any of the V200s bad points.

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #1,925 of 3,062
Quote:

I was looking to buy the V200/V800 + LCD2 combo in the next few weeks, but your comment has stopped me dead in my tracks. I can't get a chance to demo any of them so it would be a blind buy from me. I was thinking for electronica, this would be a great match but apparently not. All I know is, I didn't like the sound from the Black Cube Linear and HD800 - it was far too bright for me.

I'm not quite sure what to do now.

edit: just to expand on this a little. Do you think it's the sound signature of the LCD-2 which you don't like or the V200+LCD-2 combo? From reading all of the comments on this thread, I'm slightly confused. People say the LCD-2 is warm, packs a lot bass but lacks soundstage, yet the V200 seems to have similar qualities. So my understanding would be that the V200/LCD2 (could?) be overly warm, too much bass and a limited soundstage - which appears to be what you're saying, but other say the match up is very good.

Urgh I too am confused.

When I ordered my V200 from Fried Reim in June he specifically recommended the LCD 2.2.  Another Head-fier recently visited the Violectric plant and Fried was still recommending the LCD2.2  I didn't go for it because I'd already tried the HE500 and didn't like the weight of planar magnet headphones.  It will depend on the type of music you listen to, but if you want that deep bass extension and punch that planar mag headphones have I think the LCD 2.2 + V200 would work for you.  EDIT:  The HE 500 is highly regarded and the V200 has the power to drive it as well as the LCD2.2 

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #1,926 of 3,062
Many thanks for your reply Rico. I had my heart set on the V200/V800 and LCD2 combo but reading some of the comments has made me think.

I was actually just thinking to do the unimaginable and let the upgrade bug pass me by and try saving some cash for the new year.

Either way, thanks for the advice, and Happy Holidays Head-Fi!

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #1,927 of 3,062
Quote:
Many thanks for your reply Rico. I had my heart set on the V200/V800 and LCD2 combo but reading some of the comments has made me think.

I was actually just thinking to do the unimaginable and let the upgrade bug pass me by and try saving some cash for the new year.

Either way, thanks for the advice, and Happy Holidays Head-Fi!

Great.  Let us know how it works for you.  When I had the HE 500 I didn't like the cold feel of the steel cans.  I'm sure the wood on the Audeze is much nicer.

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #1,929 of 3,062
I have the v200/v800 stack from Freid.  Originally it was for my LCD r2.2 that I was so desperate to get (afterall it has rave reviews here and adored with the v200 combo).

But upon hearing the LCD on it, I can't help but agree with the user brat:

"Originally Posted by brat 

In the past few weeks I'm confused. I feel the sound of LCD-2 r2+V200 exremely dark and congested. All instruments are one over another, the bass is overwhelming and lacks detail, this sound is anything but neutral. Using HD-800 with V200 for 3 days was as fresh air in my room. It's sibilant but has so much space and texture... Definitely V200 is for brighter headphones like HD-800, T1, K701...
I've never tried before, but V200+K701 is a killer combo for rock! Extreme dynamics and impact. And K701 HAS BASS! :)"

It sounds so claustrophobic, so I am going to end up with the HD800s instead.

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #1,931 of 3,062
I briefly listened to a HE-500 on a Bryston HPA-1 amp.  Didn't wow me as much as I thought.  Sounded a little dry to me.  It was too heavy for my liking as well.

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #1,932 of 3,062
Well I got my amp today and I have been listening to tunes with the hd800's for around 5 hrs now. A big improvement in sound quality with bass and treble. The sound is awesome and I am very satisfied with my setup. I have the pre gain set to +6 and the dial around 10 o'clock. 

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #1,933 of 3,062
Quote:
Well I got my amp today and I have been listening to tunes with the hd800's for around 5 hrs now. A big improvement in sound quality with bass and treble. The sound is awesome and I am very satisfied with my setup. I have the pre gain set to +6 and the dial around 10 o'clock. 

Try it on Flat or -6 and have the volume pot at 12-3 o'clock......normal listening levels.

Also lift the grounds and also the pass filter internally!

Glad you are enjoying the amp with the HD800...I have great fun on the combination too!

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #1,934 of 3,062
I'll try the pre gain setting but I am not to sure about the ground setting. Why do you have to lift the grounds to pass the filter internally?

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #1,935 of 3,062

Here's a quick picture with my Galaxy2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back