Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Jun 29, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #1,546 of 3,062
Experience:

- LCD-2 on V200 is a very good match
- LCD-3 on V200 is merely a good match

So, what is the difference? As Gwarmi is mentioning - both have a "warmish" sound - and combining both components are maybe a bit too warm...

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #1,547 of 3,062
Quote:
Quote:
LCD-3 + V200?

Be still my beating heart  . . .
tongue_smile.gif
. . .  my HD800's arrive today . . . when I ordered my V200, the lake people specifically mentioned Audeze LCD cans.  Must be a good match with V200 . . . !!!

Congratulations........Can't wait to hear your initial thoughts on the HD800/V200.......what will you be using as source?

I have been waiting for my pair of HD800 for quite a while now. Just contemplating whether to order some cables now for the HD800 or wait until I get a feel of the signature.

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #1,548 of 3,062
I need a little help.  Using balanced inputs, I'm burining in the Senn HD800 I just received.  I'm surprised that I still have the pre gain set at minus 12.  This is the same setting I used for the AKG K702's.  I thought a 300 Ohm headphone like the HD 800 would require a higher gain setting.  The volume knob is set at about 12 O'Clock for normal listening levels.  I'm curious what pre gain settings other HD800 listeners are using on their V200s . . . ?  Thanks . . .

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #1,549 of 3,062
Yo,

I don't have a HD800 but with the gain unaltered my T1's sound loud at 10 O'Clock on the dial. If  set the gain to +6 it's loud at 8 O'Clock.

Quote:
I need a little help.  Using balanced inputs, I'm burining in the Senn HD800 I just received.  I'm surprised that I still have the pre gain set at minus 12.  This is the same setting I used for the AKG K702's.  I thought a 300 Ohm headphone like the HD 800 would require a higher gain setting.  The volume knob is set at about 12 O'Clock for normal listening levels.  I'm curious what pre gain settings other HD800 listeners are using on their V200s . . . ?  Thanks . . .

Jun 30, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #1,551 of 3,062
Quote:
I also have to disagree with the "muddy" comment. I simply do not hear that at all with the V200, or for that matter, the Lake People G103 and G109. I suppose one could say these are not bright amps, and they don't focus on sparkly tipped up highs. But they certainly are not overly warm to my ears, nor muddy, nor constricted at all on the top end.
I'm listening to the Ultrasone Signature Pro right now with V200 (and V800) and it sounds superb. Very well extended, smooth top end but still incredibly lifelike. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Hi project86,

I also use the V200+V800 and looking for an improvement for my D5000.
I thought to buy me the D7000 or TH900 (TH900 is too expensive at the moment) and sell the D5000.
But what is about the Ultrasone Signature Pro, can you advice it as an improvement or is the D7000 the better choice?
Do you compare the Ultrasone maybe with the D7000?

Would be great if you can help with this case.

Jun 30, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #1,552 of 3,062
Quote:

Hi project86,

I also use the V200+V800 and looking for an improvement for my D5000.
I thought to buy me the D7000 or TH900 (TH900 is too expensive at the moment) and sell the D5000.
But what is about the Ultrasone Signature Pro, can you advice it as an improvement or is the D7000 the better choice?
Do you compare the Ultrasone maybe with the D7000?

Would be great if you can help with this case.

I really like the Signature Pro. It's a great headphone, easily the best Ultrasone I've ever heard (I'll be selling my Edition 8 for that very reason). Is it worth the $1299 price? That's rather debatable. I'd be much happier with it if the price was closer to $800 or something. 

I haven't heard the D5000 and only had the D7000 for about a week before sending it in to Lawton for upgrades. So a comparison is hard to do. My LA7000 still has the Sig Pro beat in ultra-low bass extension, but it is pretty close. The Ultrasone has a better presentation with vocals though, pushing them slightly more forward in the mix without being too much. 

The Sig Pro sounds great with the V800/V200. They don't require a lot of power, but they are really sensitive to background noise... more so than their specs would suggest. So the inky blackness of the Violectric and Lake People amps is very welcome. 

Jun 30, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #1,554 of 3,062
I'm wondering if I should get the DAC option when I purchase this amp in September (I START WORK, AWWW YEAH).
See, I already have the Pico usb DAC/AMP and I'm very very happy and impressed by its sound.

So my question here is, would it be feasible, to use this PICO usb dac/amp (which, of course, is an amp already) to feed it the to v200 which I am planning to buy.  The way it is going to be connected is 3.5mm to the RCAs of the v200.

Will this double amping produce any unwanted effects, or negative results?  Will any signal be lost, damaged or distorted?  The headphones I am looking to power will be the LCD-2 and/or HE-500.  One of the higher ends.

Jun 30, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #1,555 of 3,062
Quote:
I'm wondering if I should get the DAC option when I purchase this amp in September (I START WORK, AWWW YEAH).
See, I already have the Pico usb DAC/AMP and I'm very very happy and impressed by its sound.

So my question here is, would it be feasible, to use this PICO usb dac/amp (which, of course, is an amp already) to feed it the to v200 which I am planning to buy.  The way it is going to be connected is 3.5mm to the RCAs of the v200.

Will this double amping produce any unwanted effects, or negative results?  Will any signal be lost, damaged or distorted?  The headphones I am looking to power will be the LCD-2 and/or HE-500.  One of the higher ends.

Quite the dilemma - I would lean towards the Pico route even though you'd end up with 3 x volumes - software source, Pico and V200
 it will be far from ideal, however I can testify that the USB or Optical PCB Violectric options are mere after thoughts - they really
 are nothing special. You cannot expect anything great from a sub $200 piece of silicon and the proof lies in the listening.

Precisely why Freid made it optional for the range of Violectric amps - it is at best, a really small taste of the full rig V800.

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #1,556 of 3,062
Quote:

Would the pico dac/amp be a temporary or permanent solution? Double amping is not ideal but it should be fine if it is temporary. I would not have double amping as a permanent solution. I also would want something that is meant for home use rather than portable but that depends on your usage of it. 

I had the HE500 in the past and it sounded good with the V200. The LCD-2 also sounds good with the V200 but that was not for that long a time period as I did not own the LCD2.

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #1,557 of 3,062
Quote:

Quite the dilemma - I would lean towards the Pico route even though you'd end up with 3 x volumes - software source, Pico and V200
 it will be far from ideal, however I can testify that the USB or Optical PCB Violectric options are mere after thoughts - they really
 are nothing special. You cannot expect anything great from a sub $200 piece of silicon and the proof lies in the listening.

Precisely why Freid made it optional for the range of Violectric amps - it is at best, a really small taste of the full rig V800.

So, if I understand what you are saying, playing 320 mp3 or even FLACs/WAvs via the pico's dac aren't ideal and won't bring out the v200's potential?  Sorry if my english is bad.

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #1,558 of 3,062
Quote:
Would the pico dac/amp be a temporary or permanent solution? Double amping is not ideal but it should be fine if it is temporary. I would not have double amping as a permanent solution. I also would want something that is meant for home use rather than portable but that depends on your usage of it. 

I had the HE500 in the past and it sounded good with the V200. The LCD-2 also sounds good with the V200 but that was not for that long a time period as I did not own the LCD2.

See, if I knew that double amping is advised, I would say that the pico as a dac/amp will be a permanent solution.

Now that I learned that double amping isn't desirabled, I guess I will have to make it temporary.  As I don't have another DAC and all my music is stored in computers.

Jul 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #1,559 of 3,062
Quote:
See, if I knew that double amping is advised, I would say that the pico as a dac/amp will be a permanent solution.

Now that I learned that double amping isn't desirabled, I guess I will have to make it temporary.  As I don't have another DAC and all my music is stored in computers.

If money is dead tight look at any second hand Audio-gd DAC - they tend to be neutral and seem to flow with the V200's signature
 in my opinion.

The old Audio-gd 3.1 is now succeeded and should be available for under $250 if you look hard enough second hand.

My advice would be to hit the 'For Sale' postings and even ask questions over here on what you find,.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back