Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Feb 12, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #1,037 of 3,061
I think for me the LCD-2 and the V200 is a very involving sound.  Very engaging.  When I listen the the LCD-2/V200/W4S DAC-2 combo. The combo tends to turn off my analytical audiophile mind and lets my musical mind engage instead.   If I had to describe the rig in a non audiophile type of way that would be it.  It engages my musical mind and give my audiophile mind a day off.    

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #1,038 of 3,061

Thank you, Fried. To be sure, about using Y connectors. Do your concerns still apply if one of the two amps output from the source is powered down? I would never have both amplifiers active, just both connected to the outputs of the source through the Y connector and analog outputs, alternating between amps by powering one up while the other is turned off (or does the source still drive two input impedances regardless of whether the input amplifiers are powered up/down)?

Also, are you suggesting alternatively that I output to the v200 from the source via analog to xlr adapter and then output from the v200 (after going inside the v200 and changing the jumpers to convert the analog cinch switches to outputs), and then outputting the v200 to the second amplifier?  Could a straight RCA to xlr cable be used in this situation as well?

Thanks
Quote:
@ Walkman666

Hi Steve and all the others who consider y-adaptors.

I dont think that paralleling an output is a good idea.
You should imagine that the output impedance now has to drive two (different) input impedances and you can be sure that these will interact.
This is even more true when the output impedance from the source is quite high like the one from Icon HDP (100 Ohms).
So non-linearities like frequency issues are presumable.
It would be better to feed the unbalanced outputs from the source with a RCA -> XLR adaptor to the balanced inputs from V200.
Now you are free to configure the RCA sockets as outputs.
Here, the analog input signal will appear with identical level but buffered with an output impedance < 1 Ohm.

@ warriorant and others who are wondering if RCA or XLR should be prefered

I also suggest impedances to be responsible for different sound images.
It might be that some RCA outputs work together better with RCA inputs than XLR types and vices versa.
From the technical point of view the RCA interconnection is more straight as it utilises at least 2 opamps less from signal transportation.
On  the other hand balanced signal drivers have normally 6 dB more power and are better protected against hum and noise – thus better to drive lines, specially when these are long.
There are many ways to design balanced and unbalanced inputs and outputs.
We at Lake People / Violectric take special care on very low output impedances, signal levels, low noise circuitry and the ability to drive high capacity loads.
For closest specs we are normally using 0.1 % resistors in our balanced input / output circuitry.

@ Rawrbington and others who like to purchase G100

Sorry, too late.
As far as I know our G100 stock became empty much earlier than expected ...
And we never managed to have dealers with a relevant stock except Thomann in Germany ...

The successor from G100 will be released hopefully in March and is named G109 Professional and G109 Standard.
The differences are balanced AND unbalanced inputs and a switch-on relay for the Pro.
Only unbalanced inputs and no relais for the standard.
The amp inside will be compareable to G100 as it is the same circuitry.
In contrary to G100 with its stainless steel case G109 will have a black anodized case and silver labeling, thus will be more living-room compatible.
I will try to post some drawings if there is some interest.
No pics available until now !

Together with the successor of G93 (named G103 Professional and G103 Standard) we try to establish those Lake People amps as entry models for people who can or will not afford Violectric. They share the same philosophy like Violectric:
- low gain for lowest noise,
- low outout impedance for low impedance cans and
- high operating voltage for high impedance cans.

Greetz

Fried

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #1,041 of 3,061
Finally completed reading this thread in its entirety.  Mostly a good read thanks to a few of the dedicated V200 supporters.  I really appreciated all the thorough insights and detailed analysis of the amp itself as well as the equipment both upstream and downstream.

After reading I really want to try some of the exact setups I read about but sadly I don't find the LCD-2 aesthetically appealing at all.  I've been leaning towards the Hifiman HE-500 for the last month or so I've been dropping by and am getting more serious.  It appears those who did mix the V200 and the HE-500 experienced good results. 

Anyone have the contact info for Robert from Aphrodite and wanna shoot me a quick PM?  I might try to get in touch with him if he is in the area.

Feb 14, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #1,044 of 3,061
If you live in Europe, the G100 is still available on Thomann.de by the way. Around 400 euros. It's no longer in production (see the post by fdg), but Thomann still have some in stock. They are also one of the finest online stores I've ever had the pleasure to buy from, extremely good service.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #1,046 of 3,061
I actually got mine via Audition6.de. The owner Heiko was fantastic to deal with and had no qualms in price matching and besting Thomann's, even with respect to free international shipping (in my instance to the UK). Always nice to come across small local stores that don't mind branching out.

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #1,048 of 3,061
Thinking about getting this amp for my HD800s.  Looks like a nice balance between lush mid range of tubes but t the quietness of a SS amp.  I had issue with hum and buzz with cheaper tube amps.  I currently have a audio-gd c2.1.  Anybody have the lower to mid audio-gd amps notice enough of a difference in sound to warrant the purchase?

Feb 17, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #1,049 of 3,061
i think the hd800 sounds great with the V200.  
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #1,050 of 3,061
Yo guys,

I'm getting moth the V200 and V181 in tomorrow. The V200 is mine and the V181 is a loaner from Robert at Aphrodite Cu29. If any of you guys are on the fence about trying either amp, hit him up and he might be able to send you a unit to demo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back