Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Feb 12, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #2,912 of 3,061
Seriously, there was louder hum in most modern audiophile recordings than the v200's hum that i could hear with my shure se530. I never lowered the pre gain below the default, medium, setting, the lowest setting may fix hum for most iems. Any seriuos hum is most likely due to other components in the chain, home electrical installation and power grid issues, etc...

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #2,913 of 3,061
How many people did you poll? FWIW, the same humming with my HPA V281, just twice as loud, which makes sense since it's basically a double V200, with two transformers.

I’m reading through all of this thread and that’s what I’m using as my poll data. Cant go on the street and ask people if their V200 headphone amplifier is noisy; I’m only joking. I’m not calling you a liar I’m just wondering why you’re finding this and if it has to do with your other gear or if a lot of people just don’t have as good of hearing

Cheers,

Jonathan

Feb 20, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #2,916 of 3,061
image.php

I'm using iems exclusively with this setup. On the picture, the Vision Ears VE8 & SuperBaX / V200 (-12dB) XLR / Aune S16 Coax / Schiit Eitr USB / Generic PC.

The VE8 is not a hiss diva like Campfire Audio or Empire Ears products, but a sensitive ciem nonetheless : 120dB SPL at 1 mW and a 22 Ohms impedance at 1 kHz.

I had the humming issue with a Gustard H10 and an Arcam rHead, with a Modi Multibit or the Aune as DAC.

No humming whatsoever with my current setup.

My educated guess : the humming is passed on by the amplifier, not generated by it. In my case, it was coming from my source : the pc feeding my dac directly via usb.

Since I added the Eitr, humming problem solved.

When no music is playing, at -12dB gain, I can start perceiving the noise floor right before 12 o'clock, which is not an issue since it is plenty loud at 10 o'clock with the VE8. And gorgeous... :kissing_smiling_eyes:

I also regularly use Earsonics EM10 & EM32, Sony XBA-Z5, JVC HA-FW01 and IMR R1, for the record.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #2,917 of 3,061
Hello,i'm in a dilema.I have Beyerdinamic T1 first gen. and HD800 and i want an amplifier for them. I don't know what to choose: Violectric V200,wich is still at 1000 euro,or Felix Audio Elise,1300 euro.
I looked at this topic,i notice that there are people who have both amplifiers,i would like to know witch of the two is a better choice.

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #2,918 of 3,061
i bought the vioelectric to drive my first gen t1 (sweet) and Hd800 (pure copper upgrade; stock cable was a bit too forward in the highs for me) and it is fantastic. especially so for the Hd800 lots of control and finesse even at low volumes.

recently acquired the utopias and the vioelectric still fantastic.

Aug 23, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #2,919 of 3,061
@filip sebastian There are plenty of reviews for both, here on HF and around the web. The difference between a solid state amp and a OTL is big regardless of house sound nuances. Also, tube amps' signature really depends on the tubes in use. It may sound completely different with different tubes. For the HD800 and T1 gen1, i preferred tube amps exactly for that reason. If i wanted a faster decay sound (pop, rock) or a mellower (classical, jazz), i just had to switch tube sets. The problem is it gets expensive, good tube sets cost easily a couple hundred bucks, at least. The V200 is a very balanced amp, sound wise, in between a classic solid state sound and the mellow tube sound. Will also work with any headphones, low or high impedance. Drawbacks are, serious presentations, no wow effect soundstage.

Aug 24, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #2,920 of 3,061
Hello,i'm in a dilema.I have Beyerdinamic T1 first gen. and HD800 and i want an amplifier for them. I don't know what to choose: Violectric V200,wich is still at 1000 euro,or Felix Audio Elise,1300 euro.
I looked at this topic,i notice that there are people who have both amplifiers,i would like to know witch of the two is a better choice.

I'd get an JDS Labs Atom and be done with it. IMO it's an upgrade over the V200 which has audible transformer hum. I've tried all sorts of fancy amps (up to $4600) and have never been able to detect any audible difference besides some having hum or being susceptible to EMI. The reality of it is that it's NOT HARD TO DRIVE HEADPHONES. A cheap amp will do more than a good enough job. There are amplifiers as big as your thumbnail which will drive most headphones. It's not even a question of diminishing returns. It's more like a brick wall once you get past the limit of audibility which occurs fairly quickly.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #2,921 of 3,061
I'd get an JDS Labs Atom and be done with it. IMO it's an upgrade over the V200 which has audible transformer hum. I've tried all sorts of fancy amps and have never been able to detect any audible difference besides some having hum or being susceptible to EMI. The reality of it is that it's NOT HARD TO DRIVE HEADPHONES. A cheap amp will do more than a good enough job. There are amplifiers as big as your thumbnail which will drive most headphones. It's not even a question of diminishing returns. It's more like a brick wall once you get past the limit of audibility which occurs fairly quickly.

No offence but looking at the details of this JDS Labs Atom I have the impression that it's a kiddie's toy compared to the Violectric! Not even in the same league!

Aug 24, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #2,922 of 3,061
No offence but looking at the details of this JDS Labs Atom I have the impression that it's a kiddie's toy compared to the Violectric! Not even in the same league!

You "looked at the details"? I've owned them both and call BS on the SNR of the V200 considering I could hear the transformer hum in both the V200 and the V281. (Approximately twice as loud on the V281 which isn't surprising since it's essentially a double V200 with 2 transformers.)

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #2,924 of 3,061
Never had any transformer hum with the V200 or V281 or with the Valhalla 2 or with the Mjolnir 2 or with the Audio-GD whatever amp I used in all these years.

I could cite anecdotal experience contradicting yours, but what would be the point?

Pointless. He will always come back to retell the story of his traumatization.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back