Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Mar 15, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #2,552 of 3,079
  Can anybody please explain what are the common problems with the Tenor chip so I can check whether the Violectric module is problematic in the same way or not?

You have to search for them, but I believe a lot of it was documented in the Audio GD threads around here. Kingwa was using the TE8802 but a lot of users had issues (driver related I believe) so he eventually switched to another USB solution from VIA instead of Tenor. 

If you have stable performance with no dropouts, or spikes in CPU use, or random freezing/glitches, then you're fine. Despite all the complaints there were some people who had no issues with the Tenor chip in their Audio GD gear. It seemed kinda random. 

Mar 15, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #2,553 of 3,079

You have to search for them, but I believe a lot of it was documented in the Audio GD threads around here. Kingwa was using the TE8802 but a lot of users had issues (driver related I believe) so he eventually switched to another USB solution from VIA instead of Tenor. 

If you have stable performance with no dropouts, or spikes in CPU use, or random freezing/glitches, then you're fine. Despite all the complaints there were some people who had no issues with the Tenor chip in their Audio GD gear. It seemed kinda random. 

Using WIN7, I had minor issues with two Audio gd TE8802 units when using their initial drivers and no issues with their latest drivers

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #2,555 of 3,079
I've been mostly using my Taboo MKIII the last months, but this morning I hooked my HD 800s up to the V200 and suddenly remembered what a fantastic amp it is, especially with the Sennheiser.  I just love how clear, detailed, full and smooth it sounds out of the Violectric.  

I really don't need more amps, but if / when Violectric come out with something even better (balanced) than the V200, I'll be highly intrigued.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #2,556 of 3,079
I have the HD-800/V-200 combo also.  I agree, it does sound great.  I read somewhere that when the HD-800s were designed, they were voiced using that amp  (or was it the other way around...?)

Mar 21, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #2,557 of 3,079
I've been mostly using my Taboo MKIII the last months, but this morning I hooked my HD 800s up to the V200 and suddenly remembered what a fantastic amp it is, especially with the Sennheiser.  I just love how clear, detailed, full and smooth it sounds out of the Violectric.  

I really don't need more amps, but if / when Violectric come out with something even better (balanced) than the V200, I'll be highly intrigued.

I love mine. Even though I have another amp that's a bit more transparent, I use the Vio 90% of the time. Just sounds so good. Ironically, when choosing electronics for my main system I prefer a presentation that's almost a complete opposite of the Vio. I can only attribute that to the cans sitting centimeters from my ears, while my speakers hit my head at the exact point of their time alignment - 10', as a start. :)

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #2,558 of 3,079

V281 is just a few months away. Fully balanced design based on a tweaked V200 circuit (unbalanced version will be called V220). I'm excited to hear it! Fried Reim is not the type of designer to just make stuff because he needs a new product launch.... So this must be something pretty significant.

Mar 22, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #2,559 of 3,079
Yeah definitely excited about the V281! Violectric seems to be one of those companies that stays under the radar. There's been a little bit of hype around them at times on head-fi, and they're definitely respected, but it seems that lots of people end up selling their V200s and moving on to more exotic gear. I don't think I could ever let my V200 go, though. I can probable eke out a bit more air or detail by spending a lot more money somewhere else (I sort of do on my Taboo), but I am still quite in love with the Violectric and keep coming back to it. :)

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #2,560 of 3,079
Hello
I have a Burson Soloist that I use with a
Resonessence Labs​
Concero HD (Used as a DAC ONLY), Audeze LCD-3 with my MacMini as a source for PCM. I was looking at the HPA V200. I was wondering the following:

1. How would I connect the Concero to the V200? The concero has RCA analog out. Right now I run USB from the MacMini into the Concero, then from the Concero RCA analog out to the pre-amp on the Burson.  I don't see any analog (not XLR) inputs on the back of the V200. 

2. Do most people use the balanced XLR inputs? I understand the the amp sounds better with the XLR balanced inputs. So if I don't use the amp in this capacity would it be a waste of a good amp for me?

Thanks so much

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #2,561 of 3,079
The V200 has rca inputs, I use them connecting my Mytek to the V200 with RCA cables. Not tried the xlr connections yet, but I read that it should't make much of a difference (if any) if you use cables that aren't too long.

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #2,562 of 3,079
You would use RCA cables to connect the Concero HD to the V200, which has both XLR and RCA analog inputs. Just like you do now with the burson. I think more people use XLR just because it's there, but personally I don't find there to be much difference between the XLR and RCA inputs.

Some DACs have both types of outputs and sound different depending on which one is used, and I suspect that is often the reason why people think v200 has a difference between inputs.

For what it's worth, I love the Concero HD/V200 combo. It just sounds "right" to me. Not thin, not too dark, not anything.... Just enjoyable, no matter what headphone is used.

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #2,564 of 3,079
You would use RCA cables to connect the Concero HD to the V200, which has both XLR and RCA analog inputs. Just like you do now with the burson. I think more people use XLR just because it's there, but personally I don't find there to be much difference between the XLR and RCA inputs.

Some DACs have both types of outputs and sound different depending on which one is used, and I suspect that is often the reason why people think v200 has a difference between inputs.

For what it's worth, I love the Concero HD/V200 combo. It just sounds "right" to me. Not thin, not too dark, not anything.... Just enjoyable, no matter what headphone is used.

Thanks so much for the help and clarification of the XLR and RCA inputs.  And, thanks it's good to hear someone is using the Concero HD with the V200 as a combo. Most of what I read pertains to the V200/V800.  

I like the Burson, but I think a "warmer" amp like the V200 would be better for me.  I will need to find one around I can borrow.

Thanks again 

Mar 27, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #2,565 of 3,079
Hi
One more question. I am a newbie so please forgive this simple question. 

My Soloist is rated at 4W in 16 Ohms.

and the V200 is rated at: 

Output Voltage in 16 Ohms

4 Veff
Output Power in 16 Ohms

1000 mW

So am I correct in assuming the V200 is rated  1W at 16 Ohms?  So the Soloist is about 3x higher in output power? 

Hum, I though they were both similar in power.  

Does the V200 do well with the LCD-3?  HE-6? other difficult to drive HP?

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back