Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Sep 27, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #2,791 of 3,058
Had a few question to v200 owners.

What happens when you upo two of the gain switches to the up position?
Like if I up the +12 & +6 gain to the on position.

Will it give me double the gain or will the +12  gain override the +6 gain?
What happens if I up all the switches to the up position?

Trying to figure out the best possible setup for it with the HD800.

Using a 3pin balanced cable with this amp will do nothing as this is not a balanced amp, correct?
It's just an extra option for people who have sources with only balanced outputs.

Sep 29, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #2,792 of 3,058
When you push up 6 dB and 12 dB the result is 14 dB and not 18 dB.
When you push all up the result is 0 but some noise will be added.
V200 offers balanced 3 Pin INPUTS,
No chance to connect a HD800 with 2x 3 Pin connectors. Those would need outputs.
If you want to connect HD800 balanced go for V181 or V281 but with more reasonable 4 Pin connectors.

Best Regards
Fried

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #2,794 of 3,058
Hey,
I would not give all these hints if they were not safe !!

You can also operate all these switches during operation but at least the headphones should not be plugged.
Because some cracks/crickless might appear which may ruin your headphones when you push the switches.

There are also some adjustments which are not senseful.
For example to push + 6 dB and + 12 dB = 14 dB Gain and to push also the -6 dB switch to come to -8 dB ...
Again, nothing bad will happen - except my believe in common sense will suffer ...

Greetz

Fried

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #2,795 of 3,058
  For example to push + 6 dB and + 12 dB = 14 dB Gain and to push also the -6 dB switch to come to -8 dB ...

blink.gif
confused_face_2.gif
 You mean +8? That would still not make sense, mind you, but I could at least trail their train of thought ...

BTW, congratulations on your 100th post, Fried!
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #2,796 of 3,058
Well, i'm glad that self destruction is not applied.

P.S
all mods successfully tested. +6 is just a doctor ordered for HE500's. +14 can drive death metal session direct in your brain. Amazing amp, non a bit of regret from buying it.

UPD.
As expected. Match flawlessly with my new Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC.
V200 gives to it aditional sense of analoglike soundig. Rich and full sound body, with powerful bass section, liquid clean mids and comfortable HF.
Also no more +12 db gain needet, how it was, while connecting amp direct to notebook 3.5 out.
On pair with Musette in +6 db mode, I can't push volume knob further, than 10 o'clock even with most silent vinyl records, cuz it turn heaphones into airblast gun. From sound to funcionality- everything is exelent.

Jan 11, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #2,800 of 3,058
...and by the way - Mr Fried Reim is a perfect contact - very very friendly and helpful and so fast with his answers - THANK YOU!!!

I wish a lot of companies could have a CEO like him!!!!

For my own I try to support companies like Lake People - perfect quality in products and support and private !

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #2,801 of 3,058
Right. It says a lot about the V200 that it almost matches the Taurus, with less power, smaller enclosure, for less money.

Would you (or anyone with experience for that matter) answer me this:

I used to own the Auralic Taurus mkII and used it together with a pair of LCD2F, that combo hit all the right spots for me. Unfortunately I had to sell the Taurus of financial reasons.
I have now gotten myself a v200/v800 stack and use it together with my LCD2F. As I experience it, the sound i get from this combo is somewhat more muffled and muddy than the sound that I got from the LCD2/Auralic combo. I almost find it mandatory to use an EQ to get that little extra clarity and spark to the high end.

Is this something that makes sense from your experience or do I just simply remember "wrong" from my days with the LCD2/Auralic amp.

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #2,802 of 3,058
Can anyone tell me about your experience with the V200 and the Hifiman HE-560? I'm curious to hear how this combo performs and would like to know, what DAC you used with it. I'm thankful for every reply!

Feb 19, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #2,803 of 3,058
For what it's worth, I used my Violectric V200 with Hifiman HE500s for quite a while. I loved the combination, though obviously that isn't the same as the 560s.  By an interesting coincidence, I just listed my Violectric V200 for sale today! That's only because I've decided to go all-in on a portable rig. Please check it out if you're interested in Head-Fi's "Full-Size Amplification For Sale" forum. I used a Wyrd-4-Sound DAC-2 DSD with the Violectric V200. I have yet to get it listed, but it's going up for sale as well.

Feb 20, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #2,805 of 3,058
  Would you (or anyone with experience for that matter) answer me this:

I used to own the Auralic Taurus mkII and used it together with a pair of LCD2F, that combo hit all the right spots for me. Unfortunately I had to sell the Taurus of financial reasons.
I have now gotten myself a v200/v800 stack and use it together with my LCD2F. As I experience it, the sound i get from this combo is somewhat more muffled and muddy than the sound that I got from the LCD2/Auralic combo. I almost find it mandatory to use an EQ to get that little extra clarity and spark to the high end.

Is this something that makes sense from your experience or do I just simply remember "wrong" from my days with the LCD2/Auralic amp.

Examined the lift/ground settings on both units and it turned out the v800 was in gnd position. I changed it to lift and the sound immediatley became significantly clearer and less veiled. Now my LCD 2 sound a little more as I remember them. Still I would say that my memory tells me that the Taurus made the LCD 2 even more transparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back