Review: Violectric HPA V200 amp
Aug 2, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #1,666 of 3,062
Thanks that's a great help
Quote:
Old story - and NOT valid any more. Move on. :)

If not: Turn the volume control to minimum before turning the amplifier off. The same rule applies in stereo. No big fuzz. 

1. Source ON
2. Amplifer ON
3. Volume UP

Switch OFF: Reverse order:

1. Volume DOWN
2. Ampliferer OFF
3. Source OFF

Aug 4, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #1,667 of 3,062

Fellow power cord fans were not wrong. The V200 responds extremely well to a fine power conditioning cord :)
Here's two happy snaps of my set-up on the bed :- more dynamic with the transients, bass hits harder, the lowered noise
floor is a plus alongside a  slight increase in separation and the sound stage is ever so slightly more expansive.

Another classic example of how this amp belittles its $1048 landed price in Australia - it is much nicer than the price suggests,
if you are happy to tinker.

The cord is the fairly recently released Shunyata Research Zi-Tron Cobra terminated in Aussie prong plug.

Aug 4, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #1,668 of 3,062
I like 
beerchug.gif
...........whats the material of this power cord. It looks intimidating. Very nice
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:

Fellow power cord fans were not wrong. The V200 responds extremely well to a fine power conditioning cord :) Here's two happy snaps of my set-up on the bed :- more dynamic with the transients, bass hits harder, the lowered noise floor is a plus alongside a 
slight increase in separation and the sound stage is ever so slightly more expansive.

Another classic example of how this amp belittles its $1048 landed price in Australia - it is much nicer than the price suggests,
if you are happy to tinker.

Aug 4, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #1,669 of 3,062
 I really like Caelin Gabriel's work (Mr Big Cheese at Shunyata) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scCr9x-0mv4

Blurb by them below - it does spend over 3 full days in Cryo at their base in Washington.

"The Shunyata ZiTron Cobra offers unprecedented price-to-performance power. Forget any preconceptions that "paying more sounds better" -- once you hear the performance difference even one Cobra makes, you will re-evaluate the role a truly exceptional power cord can play in your system. The speed, depth, and resolution this cable is provides will truly stun you. With the Cobra, spending less actually does deliver more state-of-the-art performance.
The Cobra's massive ten-gauge conductor complement and supple flexibility means that it can be used on ANY component. Like other Shunyata power cords, the best place to evaluate the performance of the Cobra is on the amplifier, the power distributor or a music or video source component. Shunyata Research designed the Cobra as a complete power cord system, so the more of them that are applied in a system, the more profound their effects become. However, placing even one Cobra on a key component will demonstrate how effective they could be when used together. Forget pre-conceptions as to whether the Cobra is best with analog, digital, high-current or low current. In all of Shunyata's applied testing there was a perfect synergy with the Cobra when applied to any and all electronics from ultra high-current amps to delicate phono-sections and everything in between.

Aug 5, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #1,671 of 3,062
Hi Guys,

OK, I'm convinced... I'm going V200 too with my HE500s, just as soon as I can. In the meantime I note this thread is discussing the merits of using a good power cord with the V200. The introduction of a good power cord is a very good and very important idea to any source or amplifier. My best-buy, hands-down favorite can be found here at Triode Wire Labs (http://www.triodewirelabs.com). My whole system uses them to jaw-dropping benifit. The proprietor (Pete) is an awesome guy and his cables are simply off-the-charts in terms of price/performance, IMHO. Peace & Happy Listening!

Aug 5, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #1,672 of 3,062
IMHO investing in power cables is a waste of  money  no cable can improve the sine wave coming in your house nor reducing noises coming with nor passively stabilizing
changes in the voltage  all this is done by design in  the internal power supply circuits that can easily clean and stabilize input changes (continuous or pulsating )+/- 10%
ok it is a nice looking cable but nothing else ,sorry but it is my simply honest opinion about this ,it is no my pocket money every one is free to spend it as they wish

Aug 5, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #1,673 of 3,062
Quote:
IMHO investing in power cables is a waste of  money  no cable can improve the sine wave coming in your house nor reducing noises coming with nor passively stabilizing
changes in the voltage  all this is done by design in  the internal power supply circuits that can easily clean and stabilize input changes (continuous or pulsating )+/- 10%
ok it is a nice looking cable but nothing else ,sorry but it is my simply honest opinion about this ,it is no my pocket money every one is free to spend it as they wish

Hello baritone!
In your honest opinion, "Have you ever tried an aftermarket power cord?"... I'm not talking about a cheap Pangea, which has little (YMMV) or no effect...

If you have not tried a decent aftermarket power cord, it's my opinion that you shouldn't pass judgment... It is not a subtle difference... especially when using headphones, where you can "microscopically" evaluate the differences...

My $0.02,
Pete

Aug 5, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #1,674 of 3,062
Quote:

Hello baritone!
In your honest opinion, "Have you ever tried an aftermarket power cord?"... I'm not talking about a cheap Pangea, which has little (YMMV) or no effect...

If you have not tried a decent aftermarket power cord, it's my opinion that you shouldn't pass judgment... It is not a subtle difference... especially when using headphones, where you can "microscopically" evaluate the differences...

My $0.02,
Pete

+1

Aug 5, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #1,675 of 3,062
I was totally skeptical myself until I auditioned one and tried it on the amp and dac.  I had tried a couple of different lower/mid range cords before but couldn't really tell a difference but when i auditioned the ones i ended up with it was an obvious difference.  It doesn't make sense to me really but if it works do it. It improved my setup so much that i sprung for the one i was auditioning.  More of a change on my dac than the amp as i have written previously.  Maybe one day if i have spare cash i will do the v200 with one of these too. I try not to think about it, it costs too much when i think about equipment.
redface.gif

Power cable is a Wireworld Electra 5 2 OCC copper.  I know there is controversy and i don't normally talk too much about it, and like i said i never believed it but.....trust my ears.   

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #1,676 of 3,062
Quote:
I was totally skeptical myself until I auditioned one and tried it on the amp and dac.  I had tried a couple of different lower/mid range cords before but couldn't really tell a difference but when i auditioned the ones i ended up with it was an obvious difference.  It doesn't make sense to me really but if it works do it. It improved my setup so much that i sprung for the one i was auditioning.  More of a change on my dac than the amp as i have written previously.  Maybe one day if i have spare cash i will do the v200 with one of these too. I try not to think about it, it costs too much when i think about equipment.
redface.gif

Power cable is a Wireworld Electra 5 2 OCC copper.  I know there is controversy and i don't normally talk too much about it, and like i said i never believed it but.....trust my ears.  

Bolded for emphasis - that's a good policy no matter which side of it you fall on. If people would stop trying to be so evangelical about their position, and just let others do their thing, it would be a lot better. Not saying you can't give your point of view (especially when asked) but people on both sides tend to go overboard. 

Aug 5, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #1,677 of 3,062
Quote:

Bolded for emphasis - that's a good policy no matter which side of it you fall on. If people would stop trying to be so evangelical about their position, and just let others do their thing, it would be a lot better. Not saying you can't give your point of view (especially when asked) but people on both sides tend to go overboard. 

very good point.

Aug 5, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #1,678 of 3,062
I think it will be a good idea for violectric to sell an audiophile power conditioner  box  with an ultra clean sine output  inaudible noise and the same form factor as the vxxxx line  for  all those persons   that believe  that ac current quality  is a must for the quality of audio

Aug 5, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #1,679 of 3,062
I think that would be a breach towards their own believes.

Aug 5, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #1,680 of 3,062
Quote:
I think it will be a good idea for violectric to sell an audiophile power conditioner  box  with an ultra clean sine output  inaudible noise and the same form factor as the vxxxx line  for  all those persons   that believe  that ac current quality  is a must for the quality of audio

A good double conversion UPS does that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back