Review: Unique Melody Miracle 6 driver custom IEM
Jan 10, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #496 of 625
To owners of Miracles with aftermarket cables - what do you prefer, the stock cable or your aftermarket cable? What cable do you use?

I have the Supreme Rose. I'm wondering if I'm just imagining things, or if the stock cable actually sounds better to me. I always thought cables didn't do much, if anything to affect sound.

I started using the Supreme Rose this weekend and haven't noticed any big changes. I suspect that when we change one aspect , there's a tendency to listen more acutely.

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #497 of 625
Am using Moon Audio Silver Dragon with my Miracle.

Bass is very tight, but decay is very short. Mids is very clean and transparent, it's akin looking out of an open window. Treble is well extended with a slight bright signature but non sibilant. Imaging is excellent and staging is deep.

Love the cable except for the bass. Could do with a longer decay and more punch. But I'm very happy with all other aspects of the cable.

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #498 of 625
Hrm, I seem to have some pretty noticable microphonics with the Miracle.. does anyone else have this issue?

I also seem to lose seal a bit while walking; it seems like every time I take a step, the outside noise is louder and then softer.. though I may just be not inserting them properly. Gotta test some more.

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #500 of 625
Anyone else hear their heartbeat pretty loudly?  My pair has good isolation but I notice the thump, thump, thump during quiet passages.  Is this through bone conduction?  Maybe it's just from the excitement of hearing such great IEMs....

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #501 of 625
That's something that happens to any humanbeing, to some extent, if you block out all external noise. I get it if I plug my ears with my fingertips.

Some people may hear it more than others, of course, but that's in no way the fault of any manufacturer's IEM.

I also hear my own heartbeat, even without plugging my ears, when I'm meditating.

I have noticed that having blocked sinuses (e.g. when having a head cold) makes my heartbeat more audibly-apparent, too.

Jan 11, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #502 of 625
Quote:
Anyone else hear their heartbeat pretty loudly?  My pair has good isolation but I notice the thump, thump, thump during quiet passages.  Is this through bone conduction?  Maybe it's just from the excitement of hearing such great IEMs....

Sorry to say, I have the same thing with my UERM customs, thumping from my pulse and footfall while walking. It makes low volume listening to classical music almost impossible. And I disagree that this is merely an occlusion effect (from blocking the ear canals), because I can achieve the same level of isolation on my Shure SE530 without such severe side effects. I'd rather think that the hard acrylic shells pick up body noise much easier than universals, and if bone conduction plays any role with customs, it surely works both ways.

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #503 of 625
Ugh, this is a huge dilemma. The Miracles are sonically SPECTACULAR. The custom artwork was above and beyond what was expected - I sent in samples of hand drawn art on grey paper, and UM photoshopped the grey out and kept only the picture, not any trace of the paper used. It turned out beautifully despite the intense microdetail and congestion of the drawings. Very impressed.

Unfortunately, there are problems with the microphonics.. and my fit I suppose isn't perfect. To be fair, UM did an amazing job with bad impressions. The sound quality attests to it.

Now I wonder..

Should I test other cables? Both the Supreme Rose and stock cables have microphonics, so I don't know if other cables help.

Get a refit? I really don't want to ship IEMs back to China due to bad experiences.. I might lose them. It'll also cost $100. However, does that solve microphonics?

Or, sell all my headphones and try all out again for one more top-end custom IEM? Maybe a silicone shelled one? However, the only silicone custom that appeals to me (Spiral Ear) doesn't ship overseas..

Or I could just live with the microphonics.. but spending $1000 on headphones and getting microphonics is pretty disappointing..

Jan 11, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #504 of 625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanashimu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The custom artwork was above and beyond what was expected - I sent in samples of hand drawn art on grey paper, and UM photoshopped the grey out and kept only the picture, not any trace of the paper used. It turned out beautifully despite the intense microdetail and congestion of the drawings. Very impressed.

Would you mind sharing a photo of your Miracles' artwork? (as you can see from the following thread, I appreciate custom artwork):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/456033/custom-iem-artwork-show-yours-or-use-provided-template-to-make-your-own/15

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #505 of 625

Yeah, I suck at taking pictures, and its pretty blurry and I bet the image is compressed. They're absolutely stunning to behold in person though.

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #506 of 625
Thanks for posting the pics.

You're the first person I've seen with white Miracles, and they do look nice. I can't make out much of the detail in the drawings, but they look like they've been done nice and crisply, with good contrast.

I ordered mine in high-res monochrome, with smoked shell and red&blue tips. I hope they turn up soon - after just over 10 weeks, I'm really wondering if I'm ever going to receive them at all.

I hope you find some resolution to your 'heartbeat' and microphonics issues, as you seem to really rate the sound quality of the Miracles.

Purely in the interests of experimentation, perhaps you could try applying 'Blutac' to the faceplates of the IEMs and also some around the cables, near to the IEMs. I doubt it'd do much to reduce the sound of your heartbeat, but it'd be interesting to see what effect, if any, it might exert upon perceived levels of microphonic noise. I appreciate the Blutac will look unsightly - I'm not proposing it as a permanent solution, just as a means of exploring if you can positively affect the some of the noise you are currently finding distracting.

For the cable microphonics, you could alternatively experiment with applying a section or two of silicone tubing around some of the cable. I'm referring to the very flexible small-bore silicone tubing which is commonly used as a fuel line in 2-stroke and 4-stroke engine powered radio-controlled model aircraft and 2-stroke 1/8" scale model buggies. If you cut a section of this pipe through one wall of the tubing, along its length, it'll then be very easy to slip it over your IEM cable. The silicone may perhaps reduce a significant amount of the microphonic noise through the cable.

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #507 of 625
Haha yeah. I originally wanted to get Red and Purple faceplates with transparent shells but then I managed to get my friends to draw custom art for me and then I'm like - wow, gotta make this special, so I'll change everything for the art. I made the shells and faceplate the canvas, and I thought all white would be perfect. It did turn out very well - though there are a few parts that are missing a bit of colour, I don't mind at all.

I actually paid for Red and Purple, and added custom art in later, after I paid and shipped my package. Stephen managed to change it for me in time, which I'm really thankful for. (He also lent me demo Merlins to try out UM IEMs).

I paid and ordered my IEMs on November 14th. They arrived 7 weeks later; I wasn't part of any promo. 10 days for my package to arrive, and 2 business days for them to ship the package when they were done. Apparently my IEMs were manufactured on December 30th, but they didn't ship my batch until the next week. This batch method UM works must make it easier for them to organize, but seriously delays our receiving of the customs.

Hrm, your Blutac suggestion seems interesting. I don't know where I'd get any, but I'd surely like to experiment. Silicone tubing as well? Dang, that could very well be a permanent solution..

Jan 12, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #508 of 625
Hrm.. According to some posts on the multi custom comparison thread - it isn't microphonics I'm getting, its bone conduction due to a good seal. I wonder if theres anything I can do about it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back