Review: Unique Melody Miracle 6 driver custom IEM
Dec 9, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #361 of 625

Quote:
yeah, even when i compare two headphones, the time it takes to remove one and put the other one on, readjust the volume and whatnot, things already start to get iffy, unless the differences are really blatent.

i dont doubt there are people who have really trained themselves well to detect differences in headphones or other components without split second switching, but I also dont doubt that there are many, and most, that have not, and cannot, and think they can.

It is a tricky thing to do - harder than many people would have you believe. I think that it is possible, but difficult, and much humility is called for. I always want to present things as my interpretation only rather than objective fact. Often times other folks will try the same gear and come to the same conclusions, but certainly not every time. 

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #363 of 625
I received my Miracle(s) approximately two weeks ago and can make something of a preliminary account of what I hear. I can say without reluctance that the Miracle's are technically far more proficient than any of my other mainstay iem's (Sony EX1000, SM3, CK10, RE262, TF10, DBA's, UM3X).

The very first thing that struck and continues to impress me is a sense of tonal balance. At first I thought the Miracles were a tad warm, but have since determined that they output precisely what they're fed. In comparison I have found the EX1000 thin and bright, the SM3's thick and veiled. The Miracle sound is weighty and dynamic, a bit V-shaped, but extremely refined. As for the presentation I would call them disciplined rather than aggressive and attacking. I sometimes get this feeling that at any moment the shackles will come off and the Miracles will reveal their real power, but alas they're too humble and cultivated for that. If asked to make an analogy I would say the Miracles are gentle like a tamed wildcat, but effortlessly powerful (resolving) in a way I have never heard in an IEM. 

My music tastes are broad and I am a proponent of the certain-iems-for-certain-genres camp. The Miracle is no exception to this rule. I still prefer the SM3's for vocals, CK10's for rock and TF10's for mindless fun. I prefer the Miracle with female vocals over male (I find them very slightly recessed in the 300 - 1.2k area) and generally prefer the singer placed forward in the soundstage, something the Miracle does not always give me (they're not a stage monitor after all). I should add that the sound has changed in the two weeks that I've had them. Upon receipt they were more recessed, but the mids have all but caught up and is on a near even keel with the rest of the spectrum.  To give an idea of what I have been listening to over the last two weeks: 

Sigur Ros
Alison Krauss
Amandine Beyer
Bon Iver
Andrew Bird
Andy McKee
Arcade Fire
Sufjan Stevens
Wilco
Michael Hedges  
Norah Jones
Joao Gilberto 
Stan Getz 

The Miracle comes out principally for acoustic, some jazz, classical and some ambient, When it comes to classical and guitars I find them untouchable (especially as the Miracles are considerably more dynamic than any other IEM I own). The imaging and especially texturing is either the best I've heard or certainly top three. I believe the greatest compliment that I can give the Miracle is to say that I enjoy them equally to my desktop setup (W4S Dac 1-- Zana Deux -- HD650). I should add that I go CLAS -- Meier Stepdance/Pico Slim -- Miracle. 

Before receiving them I remember thinking that there has never been a headphone that I found perfect with all music. Prior to the Miracle the SM3's provided the most positive qualities in a single IEM and they have been surpassed. The Miracle gives me at least 35db of isolation (while I don't have the ER4S anymore I'm certain I get better isolation with the Miracle as I asked for longer stems), the most balanced tonality and most dynamic, revealing, and refined sound that I have thus far heard in an IEM. Also, the soundstage as a whole (W x D x H) is more spacious and the imaging pinpoint and holographic (rather than left/right as in EX1000); these are all things I prefer. In short I found them to sound like a $1000 IEM  and once I adjusted to their slightly distant presentation (think 10th row of a concert hall) I also found them impossible not to admire. 

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #364 of 625
Wow thanks for you impressions. I listen to practically everything on your list rather often and so your comparisons are super relevant to me. Would you mind adding to why you prefer the CK10's with rock?

Also, that's interesting about the soundstage. I'm imagining that it's quite a bit more distant than the CK10's then?

I'm happy to hear the tonality is accurate. Thanks again and I'd appreciate any further comparisons to the CK10/DBA's, particularly about the Miracles' aggresiveness or lack thereof.

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #366 of 625
When it comes to rock (I listen to the likes of The Shins, PJ Harvey, The Weakerthans, Mercury Rev, The National, The Walkmen, Flaming Lips, Wild Beasts, The Antlers -- so mostly Indie, nothing hard) I prefer fast, bright, edgy and hyperdetailed.

The Miracle, while not soft and relaxed like the RE262, carries a considerably thicker note with longer decay than either the CK10's or DBA's. I find when you conjoin these qualities with the large soundstage and sedate presentation the result is more suitable for other genres.

I find the liquidity and shimmer of the CK10's perfect for the type of rock I listen to, especially since I don't mind the absence of a weighty low end in that case (which I nevertheless use with the SR71A, a relatively warm amp). I also believe the CK10's are quite undervalued for their mids and believable soundstage. The Miracle soundstage is quite a bit deeper than the CK10's and especially the placement of the singer is further back. 

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #367 of 625
Okay! This is great info. If you have time maybe you could compare the CK10 and Miracles using a specific track like Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots or any track from that album. Sorry to be asking for so much but it is a $1000 iem and I tend to research somewhat extensively. It helps a lot! Thanks!
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #368 of 625
Quote:
Also, the soundstage as a whole (W x D x H) is more spacious and the imaging pinpoint and holographic (rather than left/right as in EX1000); these are all things I prefer. In short I found them to sound like a $1000 IEM  and once I adjusted to their slightly distant presentation (think 10th row of a concert hall) I also found them impossible not to admire.

Wow, interesting. In fact Joker's (and other's) impressions discouraged me from going for the Miracles, since they reported a simliar around-the-head soundstage (without much forward projection) like the SM3's, which I absolutely hated. But then again, I think we may not perceive soundstage similarly at all, since I've never found any closed IEMs (including the JH13 and UERM customs) to sound nearly as spacious as vented/open ones (EX1000, FX700, FI-BA-SS).

Bottom line, more than anything else, perception of soundstage seems to be a highly personal phenomenon.

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #370 of 625
Dec 12, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #372 of 625
Anyone in the UK got any updates on their order? Ampcity emailed me saying they would be receiving a batch this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back