Review: Unique Melody Miracle 6 driver custom IEM
Aug 27, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #166 of 625
To kick some life into an old thread, a UM Miracle currently being used by a sound engineer (Live FOH mixing)

His quote -

"That's funny.

I just noticed for the first time that someone drops something (a
pencil?) in this recording of Grieg's Piano Concerto #1 in A minor. It
 sounded so well placed that I looked over my shoulder." 

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #167 of 625
Well, the inveterate sceptic in me would ask: which recording/track/time? Can you provide a download link, so we can try this with our own phones? No offense, but without that I'd rather regard it as a nice-sounding marketing quote.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #168 of 625
^ it wouldnt surprise me if it were true.

i've had high end earbuds (sennheiser mx980) do that to me on many occasions.   I cant tell you how many times i yelled - "come in" thinking someone was knocking on my door  or got up to try to figure out what just fell over , only to realize it was something in the music.  Some headphones just have that type of imaging.

well on that note, after pre-ordering and waiting one whole year for the release of the JH3A, i cancelled my order today and as you've probably guessed.. I'm planning on purchasing some Miracles. 

I have a feeling these will be much more to my liking anyway, not to mention saving $900 has a nice ring to it.

Now i just have to manifest a trip to the audiologist.. i dont suppose i could have JH send over their cast of my molds??

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #169 of 625

Quote:

Now i just have to manifest a trip to the audiologist.. i dont suppose i could have JH send over their cast of my molds??

It's unlikely that they would be willing to send them to a competitor. But it is not unreasonable to ask them to return the molds to you, and then you can send them out yourself. 

Oct 5, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #170 of 625
So I'm guessing the faster I send my impressions, the faster the IEM will come to me? If so, I better send my impressions with some insane shpping method. :p

Oct 5, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #173 of 625

Quote:
To kick some life into an old thread, a UM Miracle currently being used by a sound engineer (Live FOH mixing)

His quote -

"That's funny.I just noticed for the first time that someone drops something (apencil?) in this recording of Grieg's Piano Concerto #1 in A minor. It sounded so well placed that I looked over my shoulder." 

If known, which recording is this? 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #175 of 625
It's unlikely that they would be willing to send them to a competitor. But it is not unreasonable to ask them to return the molds to you, and then you can send them out yourself. 

They need the original impressions to work with, in my experience. Impressions do shrink over a period of time, so I don't suggest this.

Ben, make sure you open your mouth and relax your jaw; the bite block doesn't mean you should bite it, it means you should let your teeth rest on it. Do not swallow, and do not laugh or smile either. Ask the audiologist to insert the cotton dams a bit deeper, and to make you a more pressurized mold, as in, make sure the material is completely filling the canals. If you do all this right, your fit should be perfect when the Miracles get to you!

I phoned around 9 audiologist in my area, and most of them don't have experience with custom in-ear monitors. You should either go to an authorized Westone dealer and just get the "impressions" only, or call and ask around if they've dealt with impressions for custom-in-ear-monitors such as Westone, JHA, UE, etc.

Oct 7, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #176 of 625

Quote:
project86,
What kind of use (portable, stationary, background or dedicated listening), and component matching are you seeing with your Miracle?

I actually don't have the Miracle. UM sent me the demo pair for review, and I returned it long ago. I ended up purchasing the Merlin, also from UM. Sometimes I use it on the go with just a Sansa Clip+ (Rockbox of course), other times I do a bigger rig with a QLS QA350 player and an Audinst AMP-HP. Mostly though for the Merlin I use it at home, either straight from my Anedio D1 or else from the Violectric V800/V200 setup. 

On the go, my listen tends to be much more background style. I enjoy it but I'm usually doing something else at the same time. At home I mostly sit and do nothing but listen. Or sometimes I browse HeadFi or type up my reviews while listening (but that is hard because the music gets distracting and demands full attention). 

Quote:
They need the original impressions to work with, in my experience. Impressions do shrink over a period of time, so I don't suggest this.
Ben, make sure you open your mouth and relax your jaw; the bite block doesn't mean you should bite it, it means you should let your teeth rest on it. Do not swallow, and do not laugh or smile either. Ask the audiologist to insert the cotton dams a bit deeper, and to make you a more pressurized mold, as in, make sure the material is completely filling the canals. If you do all this right, your fit should be perfect when the Miracles get to you!
I phoned around 9 audiologist in my area, and most of them don't have experience with custom in-ear monitors. You should either go to an authorized Westone dealer and just get the "impressions" only, or call and ask around if they've dealt with impressions for custom-in-ear-monitors such as Westone, JHA, UE, etc.

I think it depends. I've had impressions returned after customs were made from them, and they were not really usable any longer. But in other cases they looked practically untouched. I did once reuse the same impressions from one company to another, maybe 9 months later, and the result seemed to be identical. 

Your advice about audiologists is spot on though. Many of them don't have experience with this application. It is in our nature to trust medical professionals and not ask questions, but in these cases you really do need to speak up and make sure it goes the way you want it to. That includes asking for a bite block and checking for voids when they are done. I suspect that the requirements for hearing aid use is not as demanding as what custom IEM companies need. 

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #177 of 625
The new material they make impressions from now can last 6 months, 2 years or even longer depending on which professional you ask. It's the old impression material from a few years ago that only lasts a few weeks. Most audiologists are using the newer, longer lasting material.

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #178 of 625
Below is a copy of an email that I've just recently sent Stephen Guo of Unique Melody.

Hi Stephen,

Just to let yo know, the Miracles arrived in good order just a few hours ago.

First off, I would like to thank you for an efficient and totally hassle free transaction.

Obviously I haven't yet had the time to do any serious listening, but my initial thoughts are very positive indeed. Out of the box, I am enjoying:

- really clean and impressively transparent sound
- excellent detail
- great instrument separation 
- superb balance across the spectrum
- assured mix of weight and delicacy 

Plus the fit and the finish are absolutely first class. 

I am so looking forward to being able to spend some proper quality time with these brilliant IEM's. 

Thanks again for all your help.

Kind regards.

I will post some more impressions when I've had the time to do some careful listening, but as you can see I'm already pretty impressed.
biggrin.gif
  Stephen is a gentleman, and a pleasure to do business with.

Also, a big shout out to project86 whose excellent review got me switched on to the Miracles in the first place.

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #179 of 625
Below is a copy of an email that I've just recently sent Stephen Guo of Unique Melody.

Hi Stephen,

Just to let yo know, the Miracles arrived in good order just a few hours ago.

First off, I would like to thank you for an efficient and totally hassle free transaction.

Obviously I haven't yet had the time to do any serious listening, but my initial thoughts are very positive indeed. Out of the box, I am enjoying:

- really clean and impressively transparent sound
- excellent detail
- great instrument separation
- superb balance across the spectrum
- assured mix of weight and delicacy

Plus the fit and the finish are absolutely first class.

I am so looking forward to being able to spend some proper quality time with these brilliant IEM's.

Thanks again for all your help.

Kind regards.

I will post some more impressions when I've had the time to do some careful listening, but as you can see I'm already pretty impressed.
biggrin.gif
Stephen is a gentleman, and a pleasure to do business with.

Also, a big shout out to project86 whose excellent review got me switched on to the Miracles in the first place.

Fantastic, do enjoy. They seem to get better the more you listen to them!

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #180 of 625
Can't wait to get my hands on them. The 4 week wait is killing me
mad.gif
  "paces back and forth restlessly"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back