REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM
Jan 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #301 of 1,290

Quote:
Yeah, I could have lived with them both being green if they were actually a shade of green I like! Lime green is nice when it's my Original Source shower gel, but I prefer darker green for stuff I actually have to wear...

Those look really good, in my opinion, and I'd be happy to take that color over mine (translucent azure on the faceplate, rest transparent clear). But I also understand your issues with the color. I specified that I wanted azure blue on the plates in my excel document, but later clarified that I wanted the typical translucent blue faceplate and the rest of the shell clear, which is what I expected when I received them. Either way, it could in my case be attributed to a miscommunication-error at best and since I don't want to part with mine for a long time, I'll settle with the very, very lightblueish plates :p

I do think you should go for the color you want, if you really want it.

For everyone else out there, when I ordered my Miracles I didn't believe I'd care much about the color of my customs, but in hindsight I should have gone all out with custom artwork and maybe inserts if I had the chance again. Edit: The reasoning behind this was that I thought it'd be cool to be able to see all of the components inside, which is cool, but greatly overrated compared to a good looking, customized, shell.

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #302 of 1,290
The problem is they sound is so good to my ears, I'm reluctant to part with them for a month. I'll wait and see what Matt at UM Aus has to say before I decide though and then maybe speak to Yusuf at AmpCity. Maybe I can get some sort of compensation, I've been eyeing up their silver IEM cables.
tongue.gif

Whoever described the Merlin's bass as "thunderous" was spot on. These are a basshead's dream.

Jan 26, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #303 of 1,290

Are they more bass-heavy iem than W3?
Quote:
The problem is they sound is so good to my ears, I'm reluctant to part with them for a month. I'll wait and see what Matt at UM Aus has to say before I decide though and then maybe speak to Yusuf at AmpCity. Maybe I can get some sort of compensation, I've been eyeing up their silver IEM cables.
tongue.gif

Whoever described the Merlin's bass as "thunderous" was spot on. These are a basshead's dream.

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #307 of 1,290
Damn I've been very stupid. I just realised that so far I've been listening with the bass boost on my Arrow so everything I've said so far regarding the bass quantity is not strictly accurate considering it was being boosted by +9dB and I didn't notice.
redface.gif

The bass is still very plentiful, but now that I think about it there was probably too much bass when I was listening last night (not that I didn't enjoy it
L3000.gif
).

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #308 of 1,290

Quote:
Damn I've been very stupid. I just realised that so far I've been listening with the bass boost on my Arrow so everything I've said so far regarding the bass quantity is not strictly accurate considering it was being boosted by +9dB and I didn't notice.
redface.gif

The bass is still very plentiful, but now that I think about it there was probably too much bass when I was listening last night (not that I didn't enjoy it
L3000.gif
).

You are killing me. STOP POSTING! Every single post from you just makes the wait harder...

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #309 of 1,290
Would you guys mind editing that quote above? I don't want people getting the wrong idea about the bass quantity due to my foolishness. Without the +9dB the bass isn't as monstrous and overpowering as I originally thought (derp), but it is extremely high quality and tight. It's like a well integrated subwoofer - bottomless and powerful when called for without ruining the mids or highs.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #311 of 1,290

Quote:
Would you guys mind editing that quote above? I don't want people getting the wrong idea about the bass quantity due to my foolishness. Without the +9dB the bass isn't as monstrous and overpowering as I originally thought (derp), but it is extremely high quality and tight. It's like a well integrated subwoofer - bottomless and powerful when called for without ruining the mids or highs.

STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING STOP POSTING!

Sigh... I'll have to ban myself from this thread until my Merlins get here.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #312 of 1,290
I admit I'm not very good at describing sound...I could never do a full review like many of the members here. I can sort of compare them in simplistic terms to what I've heard though. Out of the bassy IEMs I've had, the Merlin (minus the Arrow's bass boost) reminds me of a very refined Westone 3. The highs are sparkly and detailed yet not fatiguing or in any way sibilant (the W3 was ssssibilant to my ears). The mids are clear and well-placed (again I thought the W3 mids weren't that recessed) and the bass is powerful (thumpy), deep (good rumble) and free from mid-bass hump (the W3 was mainly mid-bass and I think it lacked rumble and was rolled off in the sub-bass). Unfortunately, I lack the ability to adequately describe the highs and mids (bass is all I know!) but overall they sound very spacious and clear to me, again like the Westone 3 did, but improved in all areas.

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #313 of 1,290
There's only one thing I miss in the Merlins - the lowest bass of the Atrios, which you practically only feel. The product of Future Sonics is imo still the king in that area.

The rest is of course far better on the Merlins - clear and a bit forward mids (how I like it), extended but non-fatiguing highs (no sibilance at all). I had a couple of IEMs (W3, UM3X + UM56, UM2, E500, Atrios, 3-way customs), but the transparency of UM is amazing - hearing things I didn't hear before (never thought I could write this again).

I would describe them as UM3X with extended highs and lows.

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #314 of 1,290
That's it, I'm getting in the car and driving to China. I can't take it anymore.

Jan 27, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #315 of 1,290
I've been listening to my Merlin a lot lately and thought I'd share some observations (I'll post a review in another couple of weeks).

I've posted before that the Merlin are mid centric but what I've come to realize is that the mid presentation is somewhat similar to the RE262. Very liquid, thick, intimate and enveloping but extremely clear and transparent at the same time.

Notes are very thick.  Distortion guitars have incredible sustain.  If I a/b with my other universals, they will (except the Atrios) sound thin and lifeless in comparison.  Bass is very, very tight and sounds more natural, to me, than thinner, lighter bass phones.  Most importantly coherency is excellent to my ears.

Lastly, soundstage is huge.  And not just huge in width and depth but very tall.  This was the hardest thing to get used to.  It seemed like a wall of sound and my other universals felt very short, almost as if the instruments and performers were smaller in comparison.  I'm not sure if this is something that all, or most, customs can present but it's really different and took the most time getting used to.

I'll try and explore these observations further in my upcoming review.  Now I'm really looking forward to comparing the Merlin with the FS MG6pro's come March or April...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back