REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM
Jan 12, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #256 of 1,290

Quote:
Got mines today and gotta say I'm a bit disappointed. I'm not sure if it's an improper fit or not, but they sound kind of far-away, similar to a universal not being entirely pushed into my ear. The quantity of bass is significantly less than my MPTC's and LCD-2's driven from both my iPhone 4S and Burson HA-160D.

My mind immediately jumped to fit issues when I heard them, but I don't really experience any discomfort and pushing against the earphones while wearing them doesn't affect the sound. Also, closing the vent doesn't seem to affect the sound at all too. Any ideas on how to diagnose if there is a fit issue?

That description doesn't sound right for any IEM, much less a custom. Are the cables connected to the earpieces properly? I remember being shocked at the huge sound when I first listened to mine in comparison to universals.

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #257 of 1,290
Got mines today and gotta say I'm a bit disappointed. I'm not sure if it's an improper fit or not, but they sound kind of far-away, similar to a universal not being entirely pushed into my ear. The quantity of bass is significantly less than my MPTC's and LCD-2's driven from both my iPhone 4S and Burson HA-160D.

My mind immediately jumped to fit issues when I heard them, but I don't really experience any discomfort and pushing against the earphones while wearing them doesn't affect the sound. Also, closing the vent doesn't seem to affect the sound at all too. Any ideas on how to diagnose if there is a fit issue?

If there is discomfort, then it must be fitting problem. If the sound is somewhat like a badly fit IEM, then it is also a fitting problem, as it is not a perfect fit from the mould. Try pushing them inside the ears, if at one time you can get a perfect isolation, order for a re-fit

If the fitting seem perfect, then it is probably the drivers. Try asking others for their impression

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #258 of 1,290
Quote:

With my Miracles, when I first received them, I had a similar experience. Came to find out that the polarity was off, and that the wiring had been done incorrectly. Hence, I'm forced to reverse the cable orientation each time, with, for instance, the L on the left side of the cable facing inwards, and the R on the right side of the cable facing outwards, or the other way around. Only then do they sound right. I've already taken this up with UM of course, and since it only requires me switching the cable orientation around, I'm much too impatient to send them back, especially considering how great they sound.

See if the reversing the cable orientation, as I've described above helps.

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #259 of 1,290
Can't do that. The sockets have a groove for the cables that only fit one way.

Quote:
Quote:

With my Miracles, when I first received them, I had a similar experience. Came to find out that the polarity was off, and that the wiring had been done incorrectly. Hence, I'm forced to reverse the cable orientation each time, with, for instance, the L on the left side of the cable facing inwards, and the R on the right side of the cable facing outwards, or the other way around. Only then do they sound right. I've already taken this up with UM of course, and since it only requires me switching the cable orientation around, I'm much too impatient to send them back, especially considering how great they sound.

See if the reversing the cable orientation, as I've described above helps.

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #261 of 1,290
Quote:
Can't do that. The sockets have a groove for the cables that only fit one way.

Hmm. The stock cable UM provided fits fine either way, though that may just be for the Miracles. 
blink.gif

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #264 of 1,290

Quote:
I gotta send both of mine back to re-fits.  Double Bleh.  

I had to get a refit with mine too, but I've got to say that it was definitely worth the wait.

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #266 of 1,290
Jan 14, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #268 of 1,290
Mine's back in China as well getting the faceplate fixed. Hopefully they'll make them match this time since I really don't feel like spending another $95 to ship it to them. Is it just me or is UM Global terrible at replying to questions?

Edit: Looks like my emails have been going to their spam box and was not being ignored. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #270 of 1,290
Your email might have gone to our spam box, we've had to tighten our filters a bit over the New Year/Christmas break.

If you have any particular concern PM us and we'll follow it up as soon as we can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back