REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM
Nov 13, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #152 of 1,290
I've had the Merlin demo for the past 2 weeks and I have to say that with certain Genres they really do excel the Miracles in 'fun' - Bass is very very visceral in comparison and the mids don't seem far fetched - I'll still say I prefer the overall sound sig of the Miracles to the Merlins - As with soft Jazz music and female vocals, I still feel that the Miracles shine - Although there is not much between the two - I think the overall isolation (regarding the vent etc) means I made the right decision with the Miracles -
But If you haven't got the spare $$ to splash on the Miracles then the Merlins are definitely not a downgrade, but more of a sidestep in what you want or what music you listen to
biggrin.gif
(Remember this is all based on the Miracles actually being fitted to my ear, and the Merlins being a universal fit - Although I felt the tips of the Merlins provided a fantastic fit/seal)

I've made some notes in what time I've had, even though about half the time I've had I've been caught up in some hectic hospital visits - I'm going to be trying to piece together some impressions on both - I just need to make the Miracle notes/pictures
redface.gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #156 of 1,290
I know that Matt from UM was on holidays after CanJam in the US and Canada, but I'm not sure if he's back yet or not.

But there should be some people still at the office? Strange indeed.

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #158 of 1,290
Yep, I think they've been getting smashed with orders.

No email replies received as yet, but I did just receive a cable via express post, so I presume they're focusing on a backlog of operations/backend work at the moment. 

I think Matt's the only one running the shop at the moment (other staff on leave). 

It'll be worth the wait :) 

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #159 of 1,290
looks like we will miss out the chance to ship impressions this friday though, I think I have to change my plans for xmas lol. It's nice to see the promotion going so well though, UM definitely deserves this kind of attention

Quote:
Yep, I think they've been getting smashed with orders.

No email replies received as yet, but I did just receive a cable via express post, so I presume they're focusing on a backlog of operations/backend work at the moment. 

I think Matt's the only one running the shop at the moment (other staff on leave). 

It'll be worth the wait :) 

Nov 18, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #161 of 1,290
No, with my W4 I can completely shut off from the world using the tri-flange tips plus comply on the stem. With Merlin as with any IEM with a hole in it, there is always going to be a percentage of noise that gets in - for me it only seems to be in a strong wind/heavy vehicle driving past, but others can hear more depending on the position of the vent relative to the drivers.

Nov 18, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #162 of 1,290
No, with my W4 I can completely shut off from the world using the tri-flange tips plus comply on the stem. With Merlin as with any IEM with a hole in it, there is always going to be a percentage of noise that gets in - for me it only seems to be in a strong wind/heavy vehicle driving past, but others can hear more depending on the position of the vent relative to the drivers.

Can you compare it to the isolation when gray tip was used?(the one that is on when you buy them!)
Because if Merlin has worse isolation than that, i would have to think again.

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #163 of 1,290

Quote:
Can you compare it to the isolation when gray tip was used?(the one that is on when you buy them!)
Because if Merlin has worse isolation than that, i would have to think again.

For me I'd say that Merlin isolates less than that. But mine seem to be among the worst isolating pairs out there, compared to what other owners are saying. Maybe it's my gigantic ears that allow for more open space inside for the sound to funnel through? 

Nov 19, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #165 of 1,290

Quote:
Got my impressions done today. In approximately 4 weeks I should have a pair of Merlins!

I hope the isolation is acceptable for public transport use.

Probably going to be a little longer than the 4 weeks =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back