[REVIEW/TOUR] Somic MH412 + Viper4Android. The "Put Up or Shut Up" Review and Tour.
Aug 23, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #91 of 233
Subbed (can't find the sub button at the moment lol!)

Aug 23, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #92 of 233
I can't tell anymore if it's a challenge tour, something to show how good Joe can be with EQ, or how nice V4A is, or if we should all buy a pair of MH412? ^_^
amount of fun vs price of the gear, it is probably the most entertaining stuff I've ever done(or was it with the cheap foam planes when I was a kid?) let's say in the top 2.

about V4A its purpose is to work as a base EQ system for everything else, but some app do have some interaction issues. apps that use there own audio drivers don't seem to work for example. but in most situations it will work.

Aug 23, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #93 of 233
There are a lot of interesting things we can take from this experiment. What I find most telling is that a 10$ iem is equipped with a diaphragm that has the potential to go toe to toe even with totl hardware. So I have to wonder, is it such an impossible task to tune a driver to sound flat, or is it doable but most companies choose to go with a more consumer friendly sound instead?

Aug 23, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #94 of 233
  Quote:
  James444, can you elaborate on how the sound from Philips tips differs from stock?

Thanks.

The most striking difference is that the Philips tips sound less intimate and more open. This, and their thin silicone is hardly felt inside the ear canal, which adds to perceived transparency.

I haven't done an in-depth comparison, but the two aforementioned things, plus the fact that Joe used them for tuning, makes it an easy recommendation.

James,

Thanks for the suggestion. I was quite skeptical, but these Philips SHE3590 tips are definitely transformational, I may have to get them for my other IEMs and wish there were an aftermarket source rather than having to buy the whole IEM.

This is some next level stuff right here. Wow. I'm thinking they perform well above the $200-400 range I said before, probably the $600-1000 midtier group, but unfortunately my IEMs are either above or below that range so hard to give a direct comparison. I wonder how they compare against the SE846, Dita, Fischer Amps FA4E XB, Primo 8 range.

Well worth checking out.

Joe, any idea when the retail version with the mic will be out, and the MSRP?

Thanks!

Aug 23, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #95 of 233
There are a lot of interesting things we can take from this experiment. What I find most telling is that a 10$ iem is equipped with a diaphragm that has the potential to go toe to toe even with totl hardware. So I have to wonder, is it such an impossible task to tune a driver to sound flat, or is it doable but most companies choose to go with a more consumer friendly sound instead?

it's hard to do well with only physical dampers, but mainly they believe flat to be boring. jerry harvey said something like that again non long ago.

Aug 23, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #96 of 233
Would a hybrid solution be feasible? Give something like the Somic a usb interface, an on cable dac and the capability to load profiles on it. It could still cost < 100$ and be user adjustable. 

Aug 23, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #97 of 233
The Tour package is on it's way to the next person. I will certainly miss the EQ'd Somic; it's absolutely fantastic- After EQ it's so clear, nimble and dynamic with very little to find fault.  When switching back and forth with the UERM, the only things I really miss are the more holographic staging properties, in size and dimensions, and the fantastic layering.  Otherwise the EQ'd Somic's macro and micro dynamics, transparency, quickness, clearly defined note edges and revised frequency response are all brilliant.  I really don't think you can put a price tag on this kind of quality sound; I certainly prefer it to the overwhelming majority of iems I've heard over the years. Now to patiently wait for the MH412's release, so I can pick up my pair that will easily find its place in my daily routine.

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #99 of 233

James,

Thanks for the suggestion. I was quite skeptical, but these Philips SHE3590 tips are definitely transformational, I may have to get them for my other IEMs and wish there were an aftermarket source rather than having to buy the whole IEM.

You had all the right to be skeptical, bore size and all. But for some reason they really do make a difference with the MH412.

... a 10$ iem is equipped with a diaphragm that has the potential to go toe to toe even with totl hardware.

IIRC Joe told me some time ago that MSRP is likely to be about $30 in China.

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #100 of 233

It's still a top quality (most probably custom designed and custom made) diaphragm for under 50$. If it was better tuned by default it would make head-fi explode when released 
wink.gif

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #101 of 233

Absolute no Brainer.

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #102 of 233
Joe,

In your Dropbox folder what is this forward projection folder?

Are you able to implement forward projection on MH412 like how vwinter suggested?

Thanks.

Aug 25, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #105 of 233
Just wanted to chime in with a bit of info for those of you who may be using your own equipment for testing the MH412 IRS file.

Firstly, here's the link to my the IRS file for download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8j1oe36g67cv47c/MH412-me-philips-low-44k.irs
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6tzo4prs1rfjyzi/MH412-me-philips-low-48k.irs

Secondly, you need to check your audio system's sample rate and choose the appropriate IRS file accordingly.

For Viper4Android on an Android phone (duh), just go into V4A, press the menu button and select "Driver Status" while music is playing through your earphones. Note down the "sampling rate", and choose the 44k IRS if 44100 is displayed or the 48k IRS if 48000 is displayed.

On Windows, the sample rate of the system is shown and set here in the control panel:

Also if you're running Windows 7 you want to make sure the hotfix mentioned in the following article is applied, to prevent poor audio performance whenever resampling happens:
http://www.indexcom.com/tech/WindowsAudioSRC/

will this also work on android?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back