[REVIEW/TOUR] Somic MH412 + Viper4Android. The "Put Up or Shut Up" Review and Tour.
Dec 2, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #121 of 233
:D

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #122 of 233
Surprisingly was able to get ahold of these this afternoon.

I wanted to give the stock sound a listen and unlike almost everyone else here I think the stock sound is not even close to awful. I don't think I'll be as impressed with the Supreme tuning, not because it won't rock, but because this driver is absolutely rife with potential. It's an incredibly capable starting point, stock voicing be damned. I reckon this EQ will be like taking, say, Willie Mosconi, and being like so how about we try 9-ball.

I thought this was going to be like turning lead to gold but it's more like finishing raw gold. No rags to riches story here, imo.

Regardless, I suspect the end result will be nothing short of awesome after hearing what this thing is capable of.

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #123 of 233
Surprisingly was able to get ahold of these this afternoon.

I wanted to give the stock sound a listen and unlike almost everyone else here I think the stock sound is not even close to awful. I don't think I'll be as impressed with the Supreme tuning, not because it won't rock, but because this driver is absolutely rife with potential. It's an incredibly capable starting point, stock voicing be damned. I reckon this EQ will be like taking, say, Willie Mosconi, and being like so how about we try 9-ball.

I thought this was going to be like turning lead to gold but it's more like finishing raw gold. No rags to riches story here, imo.

Regardless, I suspect the end result will be nothing short of awesome after hearing what this thing is capable of.

Well, maybe they're burned in by now.
smile.gif

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #124 of 233
Just a quick update. I finally got to listen to them through the V4A profile after having a ton of issues getting music onto the GS3 and the sound is kind of... beautiful.

Extremely accurate soundstage and imaging without being overbearing, but maybe a little on the thin side. Bass is pretty level with the Rockets bass with the profile enabled, at first listen at least.

Stock sound on the GS3 is pretty bass bloated and I can see where previous comments are coming from. Markedly better stock sound on the iPhone 5S.

But the V4A profile is also very different sounding IMO from the iPhone EQ posted in my short A/B.

Will post more later.

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #125 of 233
I think "beautiful" is gonna be my main impression for this unless something drastically changes upon further listening of more and different tracks.

Another quickie:

Sliiiight bit of sibilance on some tracks unlike the Tenore or to a lesser degree the Rockets. But as far as sibilance goes, probably the least offensive I've heard.

Lower mids I need to assess further. Very good but might be one of the lower points of an otherwise exceptionally tuned sound. In a rare bit of underlying impressions exposition for me, Andy M. Stewart is not at his pinnacle here.

Best low volume listening I have ever heard. Probably by far.

The character of the soundstage and imaging reminds me more of the few open fullsize cans I've heard and liked than I think any other in-ear.

In an unrelated note, kinda loving the way poweramp transitions between songs.

How much would it run me to not pass this setup along? :p :D

Dec 22, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #126 of 233
I think "beautiful" is gonna be my main impression for this unless something drastically changes upon further listening of more and different tracks.

Another quickie:

Sliiiight bit of sibilance on some tracks unlike the Tenore or to a lesser degree the Rockets. But as far as sibilance goes, probably the least offensive I've heard.

Lower mids I need to assess further. Very good but might be one of the lower points of an otherwise exceptionally tuned sound. In a rare bit of underlying impressions exposition for me, Andy M. Stewart is not at his pinnacle here.

The character of the soundstage and imaging reminds me more of the few open fullsize cans I've heard and liked than I think any other in-ear.

How much would it run me to not pass this setup along?
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

These were pretty much my thoughts. All hail JoeBloggs.

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #127 of 233
So uh... Where can I get one of these things LOL

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #129 of 233
Not sure why vwinter isn't hearing it similarly on the iPhone but my curve is visually similar to Joe's (he supplied me) and incorporates almost all his points (a couple points shy due to app limitations but was able to get the same curve by tweaking the q's a bit). Anyway, when I had the android phone, they sounded pretty identical during a/b. I'm very happy with it on iPhone.

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #130 of 233
Not sure why vwinter isn't hearing it similarly on the iPhone but my curve is visually similar to Joe's (he supplied me) and incorporates almost all his points (a couple points shy due to app limitations but was able to get the same curve by tweaking the q's a bit). Anyway, when I had the android phone, they sounded pretty identical during a/b. I'm very happy with it on iPhone.

I figured that's what happened, but the iPhone 5S and GS3 sound pretty different stock already to me. I'm thinking inherent differences on iPhone vs GS3 DAC and amp sections causing the variances.

Given how different they sound stock, I can't imagine it would be the same exact EQ if done separately for both phones to achieve the same exact result.

The 5S just sounds a good bit more aggressive and beautiful is just not a descriptor I would use for that sound. The GS3 sounds like a halfway point between the 4/4S and the 5S to me, but with less control on the low end. It has a soft delicacy that I don't hear on the 5S. And the low volume performance on the 5S just doesn't have that open lightness and clarity that the EQ shows on the GS3. The EQed sound overall is less thin and more dense on the 5S as well.

Make no mistake, it sounds fantastic EQed on the 5S. And I listened to it that for over a week. But not once did I think it sounded special, just very very good. 15 minutes on the GS3 and I wanted to keep it. It's close, but that x-factor just isn't there. I dunno.

Joe Bloggs
Did you tune this EQ specifically on the GS3?
Also is there any part of the V4A profile that is active on top of the EQ?

Dec 22, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #131 of 233
Could be the eq differences are just enough to take it from magical to just very good for you. Sometimes it doesn't take much and magic is a fine line. The 1+2 danced back and forth over that line for me depending on certain circumstances. Too bad we can't recreate it exactly point for point.

Dec 22, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #132 of 233
Could be the eq differences are just enough to take it from magical to just very good for you. Sometimes it doesn't take much and magic is a fine line. The 1+2 danced back and forth over that line for me depending on certain circumstances. Too bad we can't recreate it exactly point for point.

Absolutely possible. The V4A team needs to give iOS some love. I'd jailbreak for this.

Dec 23, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #133 of 233

Another quickie:

How much would it run me to not pass this setup along?
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Awesome impressions, thanks! I've copied them to post #2. I believe we're pretty much on the same page regarding this setup. 
smile_phones.gif

As for your last question, I chipped in $200 for the tour GS3 and would agree to part with it, as I still have my own GS3. You might be able to source a cheaper unit locally though (just note that this is the international version with the Wolfson WM1811). The MH412 are Joe's, so this would be his call.

Btw @Joe Bloggs, shouldn't the Somic MH412 have been released already?

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #134 of 233
Hello everybody and Happy New Year!

Regarding your questions, nope, I just tuned it on my computer using a FiiO E17. And no, this thing still hasn't been released :mad: The latest news is this press release on December 19
www.somic.cc/somiccc/news/01/2014-12-19/913.html

Apparently the final product will be called the MH412i and will have MFi certified Apple in-line remote. I dunno if there will be an android or plain version available :confused:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 5, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #135 of 233
So uhhh, who's up next? Still in listing order or...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back