[REVIEW/TOUR] Somic MH412 + Viper4Android. The "Put Up or Shut Up" Review and Tour.
Aug 26, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #108 of 233
will this also work on android?

Yes; I suppose you have V4A installed already, in which case after determining the sample rate of your phone by looking at Driver Status while music is playing through headphones on your phone,

1. Choose Menu button->UI Setting->choose "Expert" mode
2. Click Impulse Response under Convolver. If no impulse response is loaded / available, an error message will show, but more importantly, the repository directory for impulse responses will be created at \ViPER4Android\Kernel.
3. Copy the -44k or -48k .irs file (as determined by whether the Driver Status shows sample rate to be 44100 or 48000) to the directory and return to V4A to select the Impulse Response under Convolver.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 6, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #109 of 233
I decided to enhance the bass, could be I don't have a great seal with the Philips tips which are pretty stiff. So I turned on dynamic bass, 50-70%, common earphone v2 and it sounds pretty good without bleeding into the mids.

Sep 23, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #110 of 233
my thoughts were that if the bass was a little bit more, after the present was in place. excellent build quality, would totally buy at the asking price. though with the mic added im worrid that more interference may happen. i just prefer the x5 over these. 

final thoughts, just not a fan of sparkly highs. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #112 of 233
I still wished Gilly would have taken the opportunity to actually try them himself, but that's the second-best solution and a very nice gesture indeed.
smile_phones.gif

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #113 of 233
Review of the Somic MH412 + Joe Bloggs' Old West Traveling Salesman Claims
Brought to you by
Mea Culpa Maxima, James.
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

I've been silent on HF for a while due to the perfect storm of animal feces and goat intestines that has become my life. Some of the lovely events of the past few weeks include getting sued for an obscene amount of money by a friend after helping her out of trouble, navigating the final didactic year of my doctorate, my parents' everlasting divorce proceedings, almost ripping my shoulder from the socket while attempting a MJ-esque rock-the-cradle dunk, and dating a younger undergrad girl/woman...which can be more stressful than all of the previous things combined.

I'm incredibly sorry all these things culminated after I received the tour package. Had I known the rapid degeneration my life was about to experience, I would have recused myself from the tour. Several times I would glance at the package sitting on my bedside table, but my guilt would be overcome by weariness and the apathy resulting from the day's proceedings.

Nonetheless, these aren't excuses, just reasons. I feel terrible for holding up James' tour for as long as I did. It won't happen again.

Making matter worse, finally listening to the mh412 made me wish I had done so a LONG time before.

Trying to describe the difference between the V4A'd and stock MH412, the first image that comes to mind is that of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in their differences. However, further examination makes me want to revise that. The Mr. Hyde comparison implies that the stock MH412 is essentially a throwaway phone, which I don't think is necessarily true. The stock sound of the MH412 is bassy, warm, and fairly aggressive until it starts to mellow out towards the upper midrange. The treble is rather smooth, with the exception of an upper spike that is especially noticeable at higher volumes.

No, the stock MH412 is not a Mr. Hyde. Rather, I see it as a troubled teenager with promise. The bloated low end masks nearly bottomless extension, and the warm tone covers up some remarkable timbre. What this phone needs is some tender love and care. This is where Joe Bloggs' V4A profile comes in as the older mentor who shows the teen a path to maturity. 

The way that the V4A profile changes the Mh412 is nothing to scoff at. I still can't agree with Joe's claim that he can transform cheapo IEMs to make them sound like top tiers. What I can say is that he is an expert alchemist. His V4A profile imparts serious clarity on the Mh412. Even more remarkable is that this is done without any noticeable treble boost. Rather, it appears to result from cleaning up the lower mids and bass. What is left is clean, amazingly extended bass, mids that are crystal clear, and a treble that perfectly toes the line between powdery and brassy.

Even better, this "tune-up" reveals a soundstage that I feel I can safely call "huge". Accompanying the sheer size of the stage is pin-point imaging that allows me locate individual cues on a whim. On a well recorded track, I can clearly hear the hi-hat slightly above the snare, and the crash slightly to the right of the hi-hat. It's astounding, almost.

Everything is not quite awesome though

In Joe's profile, nothing was really done about the treble spike. Also, there is a noticeable edge to the notes of the midrange. Vocals have a sort of steely timbre I don't quite dig. Both issues are easily fixed, but I still thought they were worth a mention.

All in all, thanks to James for putting on the tour, and thanks to Joe for showing that 

anything-is-possible.gif

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #114 of 233

Brought to you by
Mea Culpa Maxima, James.

Thanks for sharing your impressions, even against all odds!

IIRC, Joe told me that his profile includes peak cancellation notches in the upper range. But depending on tips and fit, these peaks may not occur at the same frequencies for all listeners. So, basically, the notches will work for some as is, and would need to be customized for others.

Hope your life's going to change for the better soon, though tbh being in the last year of one's doctorate and dating young girls doesn't sound that bad to me.
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #115 of 233
about the mids, I agree I went to reduce 4khz a little to get something that seemed more natural to me, but by doing so I did lose the ability to always separate the lead singer from a chorus, so I do believe Joe got the most clarity out of it.

about treble spike, knowing the frequency would help, but as James said, just by changing tips or how deep you go, the treble signature will change. also our own ear canal may boost different freqs depending on the shape and diameter. so I don't think we can blame it onto the IEM or the EQ. I personally don't remember any real treble spike.

Nov 19, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #116 of 233
Brought to you by
Mea Culpa Maxima, James.
I still can't agree with Joe's claim that he can transform cheapo IEMs to make them sound like top tiers. What I can say is that he is an expert alchemist.

Hello eke :beerchug:

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I'm glad you finally got around to listening to them!

I was digging around a certain old thread to help my memory with your stance on the whole EQ debate :wink: And I find this quote:

What you're trying to do was attempted in the dark ages by alchemists.

Putting these two quotes together puts a silly grin on my face :D I still can't make up my mind what the precise meaning of your new quote is. Putting together the two quotes it sounds like you're saying something in between that I'm an expert at doing something that can't be done ( :D ) and that I'm an expert at trying to do something that can't be done ( :rolleyes: )

Regardless, I think we've come a long way since our run-in at that thread... FWIW I've listened to another multi-driver BA IEM that is purported to have that dreaded 20+dB null in the mid treble and... I didn't find a 20+dB null :deadhorse: Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough, maybe they'd changed the acoustic design, or maybe, just maybe, there was something wrong with those measurements :basshead:

Also, I'm planning on switching one of my cans from pleather earpads to velour earpads and examine the difference in soundstaging after frequency response has been compensated for. Here's to me altering acoustics by acoustic means for once :p

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 20, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #117 of 233
Hello eke
beerchug.gif

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I'm glad you finally got around to listening to them!

I was digging around a certain old thread to help my memory with your stance on the whole EQ debate
wink.gif
And I find this quote:
Putting these two quotes together puts a silly grin on my face
biggrin.gif
I still can't make up my mind what the precise meaning of your new quote is. Putting together the two quotes it sounds like you're saying something in between that I'm an expert at doing something that can't be done (
biggrin.gif
) and that I'm an expert at trying to do something that can't be done (
rolleyes.gif
)

Regardless, I think we've come a long way since our run-in at that thread... FWIW I've listened to another multi-driver BA IEM that is purported to have that dreaded 20+dB null in the mid treble and... I didn't find a 20+dB null
deadhorse.gif
Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough, maybe they'd changed the acoustic design, or maybe, just maybe, there was something wrong with those measurements
basshead.gif

Also, I'm planning on switching one of my cans from pleather earpads to velour earpads and examine the difference in soundstaging after frequency response has been compensated for. Here's to me altering acoustics by acoustic means for once
tongue.gif

Yeah, something in the middle :)

I still think that it's nigh impossible to get one phone to sound exactly like another in most or all ways, as there's a lot more than FR involved. Still, you've shown what one can do with a diamond in the rough. I'm up for any other profiles you create in the future.

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #118 of 233
I thought I'd share my iOS EQ settings on the app Equalizer, in case anyone on iOS wants to try these at some point.  The EQ isn't an exact replica of Joe's, mainly due to Equalize not giving me as many EQ points as Viper4Android but it's pretty close and sounded very, very similar when tried back to back (If I remember correctly this setting takes 0.5db less bass off at 100hz than Joe's EQ):
100hz, Q=2, -6db
1500hz, Q=0.3, +4.5db
5450hz, Q=6, -4db
6820hz, Q=6, +2db
7850hz, Q=6, -3db
9500hz, Q=7, +4db
12000hz, Q=10, +3db

Users who are viewing this thread

Back