Review: Three Flagship Custom IEM - Westone ES3X vs Jerry Harvey JH13Pro vs Ultimate Ears UE11Pro
Aug 15, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #62 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The balanced ES3X off the Apache at CanJam had a soundstage that expanded in all directions, and the separation of the sounds seemed to put more space between the different instruments, with a little more bass impact.

Whether balanced or unbalanced, were there any songs or pieces where you might have preferred the ES3X to the JH13?

Aug 15, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #63 of 343
Just digested this thread.

Thank you, HPA, for this enjoyable, even-handed review! I'm sure it will prove invaluable to many looking to take the plunge.

Aug 15, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #64 of 343
Thanks a lot for this great review, HPA !
I was not sure if it was a good idea to order my first custom IEM, the JH13 Pro "blind" two weeks ago, but now I do feel very good and hardly can wait until it arrives at me ....

Jochen

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #65 of 343
wow niceee finally it's here
thanks for all your time and effort
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #66 of 343
Great review. You said everything right about jh13pro without being negative with the other two. You not only pointed out the strengths of the jh13pro but the strengths of the other two. Very balanced and fair review.

Aug 15, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #67 of 343
Thanks guys again for the compliments - I appreciate it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whether balanced or unbalanced, were there any songs or pieces where you might have preferred the ES3X to the JH13?

Hmmm, I'll have to think about that one for a while. Can't my review just be enough? I'm so exhausted.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....When I said bass, I actualy meant upper bass and lower mids.....
redface.gif

I think the ES3X have realy brilliant treble and magical mids with exaggerated upper bass/lower mids [80-130Hz] and with perfect tight and impactful bass
beerchug.gif

My problem is only the lower mids/upper bass, as you already understood.
Does the JH|13Pro solve this problem?

And I realy like the idea of the JH13 soundstage - audience in the 1st row. And also the exrteme detail and speed. [And balance ofcourse]

Neither the ES3X nor the JH13Pro have a problem with the bass to me. In my opinion they don't have "exaggerated upper bass/lower mids" and there is no intrusion of the upper bass into the lower mids with either one, although the JH13Pro upper bass/lower mids is maybe a little more natural sounding. Where they differ the most in is the low bass where the JH13Pro have a little more bass down there that gives them a little better impact.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review. You said everything right about jh13pro without being negative with the other two. You not only pointed out the strengths of the jh13pro but the strengths of the other two. Very balanced and fair review.

Some people might say I wasn't hard enough on them, but did my best to be fair and share how I feel about them all.

Aug 15, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #68 of 343
Thanks for the review HPA and you just pushed me to go ahead and order these. I'm only a part timer making 9.50 an hour but I don't mind goin into a bit more debt for audio bliss. Now only if I could find an audiologist who isn't tryin to charge me $130-150 just for some impressions..

Thanks again man, we all appreciate your time and effort.

Aug 15, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #69 of 343
Thank you!!!!
If you are still curious for customs, you should give the EarSonics EM3-pro a try EarSonics ®: EM3-pro. , some people in this side of the world have considered them to be the best....

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #70 of 343
Great stuff HPA, I still don't understand of the stuff, as I don't have much experience with different phones or IEM's, but it was a nice ready. I will be trying to save up money to buy the JH13. Been looking at them since the thread came up. I will read your review, and just wait until I can buy them
frown.gif
Thanks again!

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #71 of 343
Very nice story Larry, what came across to me is that time, maturity, and many hours of listening were needed for such a comparison. I wish more people could take the time to review gear as well as these units were not so expensive to allow some of us to enjoy as much as you are enjoying yours. Cheers.

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #72 of 343
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poetik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review HPA and you just pushed me to go ahead and order these. I'm only a part timer making 9.50 an hour but I don't mind goin into a bit more debt for audio bliss. Now only if I could find an audiologist who isn't tryin to charge me $130-150 just for some impressions..

Thanks again man, we all appreciate your time and effort.

You're ordering all 3 ES3X, UE11 & JH13? Working part-time & maiking $9.50 an hour?! :)

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #74 of 343
Aug 16, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #75 of 343
Thanks Larry for taking the time and wallet hit to write this review. I agree with you regarding the differences between the UE11s and JH13s. The UE11s are still excellent iems, which I enjoy, but the JH13s have become one of my top five favorite headphones ever, and the only one which is currently in production and not full-sized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back