[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Sep 5, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #196 of 911

For a flat filter with lowest treble you need 10uf/25v bipolar capacitor parrarel with a 100ohm resistor and both in series with 1.5mh inductor.
Continue in EVO vs red 681. I must say the red 681 is much better in midrange compare to the EVO, it's fuller, smoother and more pleasant to listen to. The EVO has deeper soundstage, better detail, better seperation but the red 681 make me involve more in music with great mid range.

Yep. Female vocals sound much better in HD681. EVO makes everything sexier but it doenst mean it's better. In some disco music EVO is better with fatter bass. I prefer for hard and very punchy bass. But both have quite gloomy bass. Very good punchy bass has Sennheiser HD555 but it was horrible treble and it does not have deep bass.

Sep 5, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #199 of 911
I agree. And with the velour pads (I have the AKGs), the 681's mids get even better imo.

I am bad at soldering so I used cotton wool pads to tame overpowering bass and treble. I added one quite thin cotton wool pad to inside cup and  another one to front. Worked very well for me with HD681.

I used two cotton wool pads to EVO's inside cup and sound was not right. Bass was not overwhelming but tone was so dark and gloomy I could stand of it.

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:19 AM Post #201 of 911

The circuit in your link is right.

Ok, so to clarify it even further, would you connect that to both channels with the inductor on the side of the headphone and leave the ground or the third wire completely alone. i.e. does this filter leave out the lines that connect to the ground wire (or third)

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #202 of 911

Ok, so to clarify it even further, would you connect that to both channels with the inductor on the side of the headphone and leave the ground or the third wire completely alone. i.e. does this filter leave out the lines that connect to the ground wire (or third)

Yes, that's exactly what it is

Sep 7, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #204 of 911
@Proid . . . This is soooo good, perfectly done! I had a good read and we have overall the same Conclusions. But i decided to remod my EVO back to normal even with the Felt. Now i Use the EVO with Evo/K240 Velours for Metal Music and my 681-B with Shure 940 Velours (most comfortable imo) for Electronica, Rock, Soundtracks etc. For Classical and Instrumental Stuff i have my AKGs. You did a lot of work there and i want to thank you for your effort and time  ;D  BIG THANKS DUDE <3

Sep 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #206 of 911
  @Proid . . . This is soooo good, perfectly done! I had a good read and we have overall the same Conclusions. But i decided to remod my EVO back to normal even with the Felt. Now i Use the EVO with Evo/K240 Velours for Metal Music and my 681-B with Shure 940 Velours (most comfortable imo) for Electronica, Rock, Soundtracks etc. For Classical and Instrumental Stuff i have my AKGs. You did a lot of work there and i want to thank you for your effort and time  ;D  BIG THANKS DUDE <3

From what you posted Proid the Fostex earpads are going to be your best bet, where do you buy them though?

Pls dont misunderstand me, this article is not mine, credit go to Frans from Rock grotto. About the earpads, i only know some sites sell it and the price is too high (30$/pairs), i use my spare pads left after modding my t50RP.

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #207 of 911
I had bought the HD681 Evo black along with the HD572 yesterday.

Here's a quick summary:

Low: Good, tight and controlled - not punchy/explosive
Mid: Great, detail and clear - able to differentiate all the layers of instruments clearly  
High: Great, vocal are sharp and realistic, yet not piercing, comfortable level
Loudness: Bad, lacking, an amp is needed

In comparison with the HD572:
The only advantage is the loudness of the HD572 is greater of than the HD681 Evo.

P/S I'm more of a heavy bass head kind of guy, the bass is not suitable for me but for others they might find the bass great.
Notes: For heavy bass listener like me, I guess I'm more well off with DJ headphones, for casual listeners, you will definitely find this monitoring headphones amazing.
Tips: Get the black model, as the white (only the bulky side is white) looks a little weird when you wear it on the head, contrast with black hair.

To get the best out of this model, you will need to play with the equalizers of the player.

Rating: 8/10

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #208 of 911
So apparently if I understand correctly, the EVO now comes with velour pads, right?

Does anyone know how these pads are, compared to k240 or sh940 pads as the article from Frans describes? I'm wondering if I will need to buy k240 pads or if the "stock" velours might suffice.

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #209 of 911
  So apparently if I understand correctly, the EVO now comes with velour pads, right?

Does anyone know how these pads are, compared to k240 or sh940 pads as the article from Frans describes? I'm wondering if I will need to buy k240 pads or if the "stock" velours might suffice.

Some source the EVO come with velours pads, some doesn't.
The stock velour pads is as good as k240 velour pads.

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #210 of 911
the stock velor is quite good n firm ...i dun need to buy akg's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back