[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Aug 28, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #166 of 911
Thanks!

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #167 of 911
Quote:
Which filter mod did you exactly do?

So, in the end, still, if you wish to get good sound out of EVO`s, filter mod is needed. Kind of deja-vu (original HD-681 red) ;D Now I wish someone compared filter modded EVO vs. HD-681 (mkII frans filter mod).

Btw, do you have schematic for EVO`s filter mod or is it same as with HD-681 ?  Haven`t done research about EVO`s filter mods. Can you give a link maybe?

I made a filter that i can switch between the red line (fun bass) and green line (flat) and i prefer the later. This is the prototype, Frans is working on it and will release the final with an article soon. I have both 681 filtered and EVO but my 681 is quite degraded after i try various ways to modify it so i can't really compare them.

Aug 29, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #168 of 911
Quote:
Quote:
Which filter mod did you exactly do?

So, in the end, still, if you wish to get good sound out of EVO`s, filter mod is needed. Kind of deja-vu (original HD-681 red) ;D Now I wish someone compared filter modded EVO vs. HD-681 (mkII frans filter mod).

Btw, do you have schematic for EVO`s filter mod or is it same as with HD-681 ?  Haven`t done research about EVO`s filter mods. Can you give a link maybe?

I made a filter that i can switch between the red line (fun bass) and green line (flat) and i prefer the later. This is the prototype, Frans is working on it and will release the final with an article soon. I have both 681 filtered and EVO but my 681 is quite degraded after i try various ways to modify it so i can't really compare them.

Good to know! :) Really curious how filter-modded EVO vs. filter-modded HD-681 turns out. 

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #169 of 911
Quote:
Good to know! :) Really curious how filter-modded EVO vs. filter-modded HD-681 turns out. 

I think the modded EVO have more detail and soundstage is larger but the modded 681 has tighter bass because of little bit less mid bass hump and mid is fuller, smoother. I will say they are equal in quality and both are very good.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #170 of 911
So, I guess old modded HD-681 is better for rock/metal/progressive/jazz and modded EVO is better for EDM, hip-hop, ambient etc. ?

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #171 of 911
I think the modded EVO have more detail and soundstage is larger but the modded 681 has tighter bass because of little bit less mid bass hump and mid is fuller, smoother. I will say they are equal in quality and both are very good.

What mods did you use? My experience that HD681 has less controlled bass than HD681EVO and EVO is more sensitive.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #172 of 911

I could't agree more, especially regarding the bass
Imo, the unmodded 681 is more detailed though.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #173 of 911
Quote:
So, I guess old modded HD-681 is better for rock/metal/progressive/jazz and modded EVO is better for EDM, hip-hop, ambient etc. ?

Yes, but they come very close and 681 and EVO are both very good all-rounder.

Quote:
What mods did you use? My experience that HD681 has less controlled bass than HD681EVO and EVO is more sensitive.

My mod: filter mod to reduce bass about 8-10db, remove thick felt in front of the driver. I can't believe some one that can say EVO has more controlled bass than HD681 because the stock EVO is incredible bassy, muddy and dull but the impression of people are quite mix so i think may be it's the problem of quality control? I will get a new EVO soon to find out

Quote:
I could't agree more, especially regarding the bass
Imo, the unmodded 681 is more detailed though.

I think the unmodded 681 is detailed because of boosted treble and it's like throwing detail in my face. The EVO deliver detail in a more elegant and effortless way.

Aug 30, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #174 of 911
Guys, you know what? The EVO is now become even better, with some type of damping material to adress the mid bass hump, now it become even tighter, more control, i can say the EVO now become equal or even better than the original 681 in bass controll, tightness. This is totally awesome, a 50 bucks can that have thunderous bass but with tightness and cotrol, I have never heard a can under 300$ that has this amazing enjoyable bass, (sorry, i haven't heard the DT990 
biggrin.gif
) it amaze me every time i put it on.  It was ipmroved from purple line to red line:

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #175 of 911
Quote:
Guys, you know what? The EVO is now become even better, with some type of damping material to adress the mid bass hump, now it become even tighter, more control, i can say the EVO now become equal or even better than the original 681 in bass controll, tightness. This is totally awesome, a 50 bucks can that have thunderous bass but with tightness and cotrol, I have never heard a can under 300$ that has this amazing enjoyable bass, (sorry, i haven't heard the DT990 
biggrin.gif
) it amaze me every time i put it on.  It was ipmroved from purple line to red line:

Very-very interesting...
I can't wait to try that "proid-mod" lol.
Pics? Explanations? I guess it does not require crazy skills? like soldering, etc.
My complaint with the EVO is the often undisciplined, uncontrolled mid-bass, compared to the standard 681 which has an awesome bass (deep with a nice rumble, tight, textured, controlled even at high volumes).
thx in advance for more infos! 
bigsmile_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Aug 30, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #176 of 911
Quote:
biggrin.gif

What material did you use? Install method?

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #177 of 911
proid, please make a step-by-step guide for that mod, please! ;P Now I`m considering buying EVO again :D Lol, after I bought another HD681 for wood modding :D

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #179 of 911
I wish I could into mods but unfortunately it seems the most I'm gonna do for now is get velours and replace the stock cable. That should open the sound a bit more. Not to say that it wasn't open before...

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #180 of 911
Guys, all the graph and modding is from Frans who made the filter for the original 681. This new damping method is his idea too, I tried to mod the T50rp with damping material for quite a long time so i know what this method can do but i think that i only work for ortho so i never try it with the EVO, after Frans said that he removed the hump with a dot of natural wool in the cup, i tried it my way: i put a thin disc of natural aid cotton inside the cup because i dont have natural wool and it turn out well, but i must experiment more to find out how much i need to put in to make it sound best. And this mod only does the last 5% percent of the mod process, the filter mod is 65% and remove the thick felt is 30%. I encourage you guy to do the filter mod although it looks so complicated but it make night and day different and the damping mod also raise treble a little so i must tame it with the filter. The article about modding the EVO will soon release by Frans.
Or if you dont want to buy a soldering iron and solder yourself, you can find a TV, cellphone repairman who is working with a soldering iron to do it for you, the material for filter mod cost only less than 3$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back