[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Aug 26, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #136 of 911
Quote:
Pretty sure I'm going to return or sell my 622F's. The sound is too sharp for me, and they push quite strongly on my jaw - probably because I have a smaller than average head. I can't stand to keep them on my head for more than about 10 minutes at a time, both comfort and sound wise.

I would suggest you try the HD681 EVO, you will find they don't have the harsh highs of other Superlux models, they appear (from product photos) to provide less clamping force than the HD662 models, they ccan be had for $50 or less, and they just sound so much better than $50. I can wear the HD681 EVO for hours on end with no discomfort or aural fatigue. If you want to compare hed sizes, mine measures 23 1/2 inches in circumference and I wear a 7 5/8 fitted (New Era) cap.

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #137 of 911
Quote:
Back to my Beats by Dr Dre for now (much better comfort/sound)

blink.gif
 Thats says everything... LMAO

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #140 of 911
Quote:
i was just listening to some acoustic music + female vocals (lizz wright, kirsti huke,...) with the "old" 681.
the velours pads are the way to go imo. great mids + tight, controlled, less overwhelming bass.
superb!

You guys that think these headphones have "overwhelming bass" should spend 5 minutes in my home theater next to my dual 18's. lol

I agree, I prefer the velours on the EVO too.

Aug 26, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #141 of 911
Quote:

I would suggest you try the HD681 EVO, you will find they don't have the harsh highs of other Superlux models, they appear (from product photos) to provide less clamping force than the HD662 models, they ccan be had for $50 or less, and they just sound so much better than $50. I can wear the HD681 EVO for hours on end with no discomfort or aural fatigue. If you want to compare hed sizes, mine measures 23 1/2 inches in circumference and I wear a 7 5/8 fitted (New Era) cap.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I need closed headphones for work.

Quote:

blink.gif
 Thats says everything... LMAO

Given I rate the beats as "only ok" for sound and comfort I think it says more about the 662F's comfort and sound. Given I own/run a headphone reviews website I've heard more headphones than most people. When my fiance asked why I don't like them I said "because I can't stand to have them on my head for more than 5 minutes, because of both comfort and sound". The beats don't hold a candle to the LCD2's I have, but are more appropriate in a noisy environment. I'll possibly go for the Sennheiser Momentum's.

If anyone wants pristine 662F's with velour pads send me a PM, it's not worth sending them back to the ebay guy. People in Australia/New Zealand preferred.

Aug 26, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #142 of 911
hmmm... has it occurred to you that comfort is very personal and about taste also, like beats sound. For me even stock HD-662F is very comfy :wink:

Aug 26, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #144 of 911
Agreed. You opinion just felt too general for me. Nothing bad about sharing impressions, even negative.

Aug 27, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #147 of 911
Just got my EVO today. I just expect it to sound like the original 681 without harsh high but no, it doesn't. Right now, out of the box, it sound so muddy, bass is just too much, boomby and uncontroled, high is so soft and lack sparkle even when i removed the felt. I'm so disappointed now. I really really love the original 681 and if Superlux only tune the high down a little bit, it will be perfect for my taste, but now it become a completely a different headphone in a bad way. I hope burn in help and i will do the filter also, lets wait and see what happend next.

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #148 of 911
Maybe it's a 30bucks fake...? :rolleyes:

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #149 of 911
Out of the box, i was like "what the..? these EVOs must be defective: boomy, muddy, no treble, no details, etc.". A total disappointment.
But, after:
1) inner foam discs mod
2) 100-200 hours of break-in
3) brain burn-in
=> the SQ improvement was spectacular. In particular, the bass tightness

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #150 of 911
Quote:
Maybe it's a 30bucks fake...?
rolleyes.gif

Defenitely not, it sounds ok but the original 681 sounds better :frowning2:

Quote:
Out of the box, i was like "what the..? these EVOs must be defective: boomy, muddy, no treble, no details, etc.". A total disappointment.
But, after:
1) inner foam discs mod
2) 100-200 hours of break-in
3) brain burn-in
=> the SQ improvement was spectacular. In particular, the bass tightness

Thanks for your comment, the original 681 doesn't change much after burn-in,  i hope my evo will improve with burn-in. And what is the inner foam disc mod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back