[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Aug 30, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #181 of 911
Thanks for info, "will keep my soldering-iron warm" and wait for Frans mod ;P

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #182 of 911
I now have around 100 hours of burn in on these phones.  I'm very impressed with them.  It's amazing that they only cost as little as they do! A friend who has some high end Ultrasones also checked them out and was amazed by sound quality/build quality vs the price.

So far, I've been running them off the soundcard in my computer. But I'm also going to try them out with my Little Dot Mk3 to see how they sound when amplified. 

Right now they're doing pretty much exactly what I was hoping for.  They are definitely an improvement over the UR40's in sound quality.  And they are a nice change in sound signature from my home headphone system utilizing Senn HD 580's.

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #183 of 911
A solution for those who dont want to make a filter: Just stuff cotton inside the cup, the more you stuff = more treble, less bass and vice versa, you can kill fat bass this way or you can use filter wool too, it can kill bass quite crazy.

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #184 of 911
A solution for those who dont want to make a filter: Just stuff cotton inside the cup, the more you stuff = more treble, less bass and vice versa, you can kill fat bass this way or you can use filter wool too, it can kill bass quite crazy.

How much did you add of it? And did you test cotton pads? I have been using also three layers of thin activated carbon filter it works very well too :)

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #186 of 911
How much did you add of it? And did you test cotton pads? I have been using also three layers of thin activated carbon filter it works very well too
smily_headphones1.gif

I want to reduce both the treble and the bass on my pair. Anyway to do that easily?

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #188 of 911
How much did you add of it? And did you test cotton pads? I have been using also three layers of thin activated carbon filter it works very well too
smily_headphones1.gif

I have filter installed so i use very small amount of cotton, like a coin

I want to reduce both the treble and the bass on my pair. Anyway to do that easily?

Noway except a filter

Could you please post some pics? That would help a lot.
Thanks

It would look like this, stuff natural wool, cotton or filter wool at the space inside the cup

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #190 of 911
  I have some angora (rabbit) wool to try this with haha.
I haven't opened the cups up yet - would someone be so kind as to post brief instructions to help with this process?

It's easy to open but need to be very carefull not to break wires. I have already destroyed two times those fragile wires =( But I added better wire for a broken ones. Lol :)

1) Remove first screw from inside cover. The screw is before grey band.
2) Pop out inside cover
3) Pop out the front cover too and gently push it to down until it comes off.
4) Now you see wires going to tiny hole. Lift gently the cap and now you see driver unit's back and a free space. And fill it with your stuff.

Also remove bigger screw in the middle of cap.

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #191 of 911
Mine just arrived. Using it out of Nexus 4 without amp, it's a bit too quite volume-wise, don't you think? I mean, for a 32 Ohm headphones. I would expect low volumes with 56-68 Ohm cans such as the HD668b and HD661, but I expected the EVO to be louder.

Maybe I got a defective unit?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #192 of 911
Mine just arrived. Using it out of Nexus 4 without amp, it's a bit too quite volume-wise, don't you think? I mean, for a 32 Ohm headphones. I would expect low volumes with 56-68 Ohm cans such as the HD668b and HD661, but I expected the EVO to be louder.

It's not the headphone, its the Nexus. I have the 4 too, and my Nexus 7 is significantly louder with the 681 evo.

There are audio programs that help fix the Nexus 4's poor sound, but you need to be rooted (Viper4Android being my favorite, then Fauxsound).

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #193 of 911

Lower ohm doesn't mean it will sound louder, my 668B definetely sounds louder than 681

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #194 of 911
Can you please explain the franz mod for the EVO? I see the green line has something with 100 ohm attached to it. Do you use the same schematic as the normal filter mod? If so, can you provide information similarly as how the 662f mod was provided, i.e. something like this:
r1 = r2 = 47 Ohm
r3 = r4 = 51 Ohm (56 Ohm if guitars and cymbals feel too bright)
C1 = C2 = C3 = C4 = 1.33uF (1uF // 330nF)
L1 = L2 = L3 = L4 = 470uH

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #195 of 911
  Can you please explain the franz mod for the EVO? I see the green line has something with 100 ohm attached to it. Do you use the same schematic as the normal filter mod? If so, can you provide information similarly as how the 662f mod was provided, i.e. something like this:
r1 = r2 = 47 Ohm
r3 = r4 = 51 Ohm (56 Ohm if guitars and cymbals feel too bright)
C1 = C2 = C3 = C4 = 1.33uF (1uF // 330nF)
L1 = L2 = L3 = L4 = 470uH

For a flat filter with lowest treble you need 10uf/25v bipolar capacitor parrarel with a 100ohm resistor and both in series with 1.5mh inductor.
Continue in EVO vs red 681. I must say the red 681 is much better in midrange compare to the EVO, it's fuller, smoother and more pleasant to listen to. The EVO has deeper soundstage, better detail, better seperation but the red 681 make me involve more in music with great mid range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back