[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Dec 16, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #871 of 911
I hear them clearer, more fun and clean

You're going to make me pull out my 681 EVO and re-evaluate, it's been a while. I remember them as "fun" and bassy, not clearer than any of my Grado's (SR325i, Alessandro MS2i) by any stretch, though. :open_mouth:

Dec 17, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #873 of 911
Made me pull out my evo too. Kinda refreshing although bass slightly loose compared to my other earbuds been listening all night. I remember it being bit sibilant but now all gone.

Jan 7, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #876 of 911
I found how to mod hd681 evo at diyaudioheaven but I did a different way :
1. Change pads with velour
2. Change cover pads with facial tissue
3. Cover 2 middle holes (top and bottom) of accoustic damper with sellotape.
But still not impressive, maybe I would have to use d. I. Y extension cable

sorry forgot to add :
1. Change pads with velour
2. Change cover pads with facial tissue, cover it with micro fiber clothes for glasses
3. Cover 2 middle holes (top and bottom) of accoustic damper with sellotape.
4. cut small velt disc in the middle into half

Sep 27, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #877 of 911
Hello guys! I need help about male jack fix/replacement. I'm trying to replace the male jack under the left side of the headband with the one I've got from my old Panasonic headphones, so I have a few questions.

First, the HD 681 EVO jack is golden, while the Panasonic one is of silver/metal color. Is that a problem, i.e. a downgrade? Should I buy a golden one or not?

And second, the Panasonic cable from male jack to the headband has 4 wires - red, green and two colorless (or to say natural copper color), while the HD 681 EVO cable connecting the headband and the jack I'm trying to replace contains three wires - red, green and the colorless one. Can I still use this Panasonic jack with four wires (and how?) or should I get a different one, strictly matching the HD 681 EVO cable? Here's a pic: https://i.imgur.com/K19Alev.jpg

Edit: Panasonic doesn't have a mic, so the wire isn't for it.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #879 of 911
Hello guys! I need help about male jack fix/replacement. I'm trying to replace the male jack under the left side of the headband with the one I've got from my old Panasonic headphones, so I have a few questions.

First, the HD 681 EVO jack is golden, while the Panasonic one is of silver/metal color. Is that a problem, i.e. a downgrade? Should I buy a golden one or not?

And second, the Panasonic cable from male jack to the headband has 4 wires - red, green and two colorless (or to say natural copper color), while the HD 681 EVO cable connecting the headband and the jack I'm trying to replace contains three wires - red, green and the colorless one. Can I still use this Panasonic jack with four wires (and how?) or should I get a different one, strictly matching the HD 681 EVO cable? Here's a pic: https://i.imgur.com/K19Alev.jpg

Edit: Panasonic doesn't have a mic, so the wire isn't for it.

1. isn't so much problem if the jack is a cheap non audio grade

Oct 24, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #880 of 911
Listening to my newish white EVO and man the bass is nice...Avenue Blue~Naked City...I paid 25 dollars for these! They should not sound this good.
Keces amp & DAC with a NAD 542 spinning the disc. Wow...just wow...:L3000:

Oct 24, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #881 of 911
What's strange about this pair of EVO's vs my first pair is I didn't mod anything with these and they sound just as good if not better than my first pair. First pair (black) had slow @$$ wooly bass...these have nice bass right ootb.

Dec 22, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #882 of 911
i've got these headphones but for me are really uncomrtable after even 15 minutes of use. i have tried strethcing the headband to the max, and it's as lose as it can get but i feel like the clamping force is too high, i have tried the mod with the removel of the 2 sponges and felts. and added a circle cotton thing some suggested , eventho the sound is overall good in these headphones and the bass is enough i find them too harsh too listen to, i dont really know how i can explain it, i'm not an audiophille by any means. maybe the highs/treble is too harsh on it. curious how any owners feel about this , and do people really find them comfortable? i don't even have a big head but damn, these are too tight

Dec 22, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #883 of 911
i've got these headphones but for me are really uncomrtable after even 15 minutes of use. i have tried strethcing the headband to the max, and it's as lose as it can get but i feel like the clamping force is too high, i have tried the mod with the removel of the 2 sponges and felts. and added a circle cotton thing some suggested , eventho the sound is overall good in these headphones and the bass is enough i find them too harsh too listen to, i dont really know how i can explain it, i'm not an audiophille by any means. maybe the highs/treble is too harsh on it. curious how any owners feel about this , and do people really find them comfortable? i don't even have a big head but damn, these are too tight

did you following modification from https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/.../hd681-evo ? what I did to my hd681 evo are added sticky tape to 2 of each 6 holes on it's acoustic damper left side and right side (4 holes all) {previously I make holes for these 4, but the bass are ridiculously weird then I decided to cover the holes with sticky tape}, remove half of mini felt disk, and using a velour pads, not significant but enough to reduce the bass region, for the clamping force try to stretch it's wire

Dec 23, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #884 of 911
did you following modification from https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/.../hd681-evo ? what I did to my hd681 evo are added sticky tape to 2 of each 6 holes on it's acoustic damper left side and right side (4 holes all) {previously I make holes for these 4, but the bass are ridiculously weird then I decided to cover the holes with sticky tape}, remove half of mini felt disk, and using a velour pads, not significant but enough to reduce the bass region, for the clamping force try to stretch it's wire
i didn't do that mod, only the cotton pad one replacing t he thick felts. i could to that half felt mod but i don't want to do any soldering on the headphones . as far as it takes for the headband i already stretched and it's as lose as it can get. i don't know about the 2 plastic bars above the headband if they can be set more lose by unscrewing them

Dec 25, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #885 of 911
i didn't do that mod, only the cotton pad one replacing t he thick felts. i could to that half felt mod but i don't want to do any soldering on the headphones . as far as it takes for the headband i already stretched and it's as lose as it can get. i don't know about the 2 plastic bars above the headband if they can be set more lose by unscrewing them

oh sorry I forget to mention that both evo series has a white rubber band that connected between left and right side of inner headband, you might cut it to loosen the clamping, don't forget to unscrew the bolt first and also stretching it's metal headband will do more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back