[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Feb 11, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #841 of 911
A friend of mine has a pair of Superlux HD330. He's planning to get the Evo's since he doesn't like the coiled cable of the HD330s, and he'd also prefer the softer velour pads and superior comfort.

Could someone please chime in on the sonic differences between the two models so that he can make an informed decision? Is there any reason to prefer the HD330s to the Evo's ( sonic-wise )?

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #842 of 911
I just received this today and it has instantly become my favorite! I replaced the ear pads with the velour ones that came with it, then removed the extra foam as suggested by some. I also loosened the clamping force by stretching the rubber to its max. Been listening to music with it for about 4 hours now, connected to my office PC's headphone jack. I must say this is definitely comfortable and I would describe the sound as "clean". Great for easy listening.

Mar 24, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #844 of 911
To flatten the sound of hd681 evo I use this eq in equalizer APO:

Frequencies  10  21  42  83 166 333 577 1000 2000 4000 8000 16000  20000 
Gain Values  -5  -7  -8 -6.5 -4.5 -3 -2.5 -2.5  -3.5   0 -4.5  -3.5    0

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #845 of 911
So the headband on my EVO's broke today, I purchased them new March 29, 2014. A little over 3 years and I thoroughly enjoyed them. I'm super anal and was as careful as a human could be putting them on and taking them off.
The reason I'm passing on getting another pair is I spoke to the company and there has not been nor is there any plan to change the material the band is made from. This is a hp with a lot of potential but I'm not sure I like the fact that the headband will break, not possibly break but definitely break in the future. I have the Beyerdynamic DT880 & AKG K612 so they will see more head time. I will miss the EVO's but it was the inferior headband material that made the choice of replacing them a negative for me.

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #846 of 911
  To flatten the sound of hd681 evo I use this eq in equalizer APO:

Frequencies  10  21  42  83 166 333 577 1000 2000 4000 8000 16000  20000 
Gain Values  -5  -7  -8 -6.5 -4.5 -3 -2.5 -2.5  -3.5   0 -4.5  -3.5    0

This sounds like something that would apply for the normal HD681... Except for the attenuation on the lower frequencies, dunno why you would want that. Do the 681 and 681 evo use the same drivers? 

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #847 of 911
So the headband on my EVO's broke today, I purchased them new March 29, 2014. A little over 3 years and I thoroughly enjoyed them. I'm super anal and was as careful as a human could be putting them on and taking them off.
The reason I'm passing on getting another pair is I spoke to the company and there has not been nor is there any plan to change the material the band is made from. This is a hp with a lot of potential but I'm not sure I like the fact that the headband will break, not possibly break but definitely break in the future. I have the Beyerdynamic DT880 & AKG K612 so they will see more head time. I will miss the EVO's but it was the inferior headband material that made the choice of replacing them a negative for me.

That sucks man. Check diy audio heaven site for new superlux prototypes. Also check out their hd662 evo article.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #848 of 911
  This sounds like something that would apply for the normal HD681... Except for the attenuation on the lower frequencies, dunno why you would want that. Do the 681 and 681 evo use the same drivers? 

Could you suggest what to change? I don't know if it is the best possible setting but it sounds right to me.
I just followed the fr curve from pdf with suggested mods for the evo.
Thank you in advance!

May 15, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #850 of 911
Here is the config.txt for Equalizer APO that I use to flatten the frequency response of the Evo. I created this based on Evo's frequency response graph on diyaudioheaven and my ears. I think it sounds much better with this setting, especially in vocal :L3000::
Preamp: -10 dB
GraphicEQ: 20 2; 30 0; 200 0; 3154.1 5.4; 3916.4 9.2; 4986.7 -3.1; 6300 0; 8000 0; 9802.9 -4.2; 11561 -4.2; 16000 0

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #851 of 911
Hi everyone, I'm new here. The Evo introduced me to the world of high fidelity sound and I just can't believe what I have been missing using sub par headphones all these while...
I'm here to share something I did to my Evo that results in a much more beautiful sound coming from them. Something that I didn't actually set out to do, but the results is awesome. Please excuse my plain explanations. Still trying to get familiar with the audiophile jargon.

You see, I was trying to mod my Evo. Just the simple ones - removing the foam discs and the felts. But then I thought I didn't like it. The treble just doesn't sound nice especially when coupled with the bass of the Evo.
So I put them back into place again, and since I had no glue lying around, I just put the felts into their place above the driver and put the foam back in hoping that the texture of the felt rubbing against the texture of the foam will keep them in place.
But when I gave it a listen the sound was exactly what I was looking for. You can say it was somewhere between the sound when the felt was sealed off with glue and when the felt was totally removed. I guess without glue, while the felts are filtering most of the treble, some of them bleed around the unglued edges and give off just enough treble that I wanted. I don't know if that make sense and I don't know if you are going to like it but I'm keeping my Evo this way. Well, perhaps just a drop or two of glue later on just to keep the felts in place.

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #853 of 911
I just got these today after reading good things about them. I have to say... I am very impressed. I have them hooked up to my desktop system to burn in at the moment but I liked them right out of the box a few hours ago. Very comfortable.

I never planned to buy a Superlux because I thought they all had that Audio Technica type headband that I am unable to wear. Looks like this thread might be dead but I figured I would post here anyway and subscribe to the thread.

I paid £35 to get them from Amazon with next day delivery. Would have been easy to return had I not liked them. I am keeping these! Actually I usually research like crazy before ordering anything so the only headphone I ever returned was a Shure which had a loose connection.

Nov 20, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #855 of 911
The only difference between these and the HMC681 is the no microphone? The rest is the same? Sound wise?
I'm quite certain it is. Unless you suspect that the attachment of the boom microphone changes the resonance in any notable way, but I don't think so. Though the HMC doesn't come with adittional pads and without a 3.5mm->6.3mm adapter. It also doesn't feature the removable cable and has a (imo) very flimsy and cheap control unit halfway through the length of the cable.

The mic itsself is good (enough for gaming comm) though.

Sources: I'm an amateur audiophile and bought the HD681EVO, brother's a gamer, bought him a HMC681 EVO, so I've seen and heard both.

Anyway it's an absolutely godlike deal for the price. Bought a B-stock HD681EVO for 25 euro's and I use it alongside my 300 euro cans!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back