[Review] Superlux HD681 EVO
Oct 5, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #241 of 911
  How deep is the inside of the earcup of these headphones compared to the k550?
I find the earcup of the k550 too shallow and it hurts my ears after a while.

Thanks

This might be subject to change from person to person since ears also differ, but I don't find them unconfortable in htat way. My ears fit inside the cups comfortably and I don't feel them clamped. Of course after too much time wearing I find them a bit uncofortable but I'd say the problem is more in the diameter and the pleather pads. The foam inside is thick and can be removed which might give you a bit more room (in this case I have read sound can get altered quite a bit). Overall they are not unconfortable headphones. It's just some small details like velour pads instead of pleather reveal to improve in confort.

EDIT: So recabling is an option better left to the pros. Then, are there any other tricks that should improve the overall quality of the headphones I should  know?

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #242 of 911
I just got a pair of these today ordered from amazon (Sonic Sense is the seller). They came in one day and they did come with the extra set of velour pads.

First impressions are really good! Sure, they're not as detailed as some of my other phones, but very enjoyable. I think they sound terrific for this price range.

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #246 of 911
the frame is kinda midsized, just barely fit my midsized skull...i tot it could be a problem for bigger brains.
way to solve this is to give it to your nephew/younger bro. :p

Oct 26, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #247 of 911
...or get old version HD-681 and do mkII or mkIII fiter mod and use velour pads :wink:

Oct 26, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #248 of 911
...or get old version HD-681 and do mkII or mkIII fiter mod and use velour pads :wink:

Yeah, I agree.

I've owned and still own a lot of Superlux and imo the regular "old" HD681 bests them all.
It is really an GREAT headphone, that sounds way better than a lot of much more expensive cans.

Amazing clarity - Detailed - Deep, impactful and very well controlled bass (NEVER boomy) - Excellent mids (strings, vocals, good timbre)

Like CoiL said, the velour pads are a no-brainer => better comfort + fuller, richer, more intimate mids (without losing bass quantity or quality).
It is rather bright, but the "razor blades" drama is absolute nonsense! Tyll must have got a lemon. There's no sibilance or harshness in the highs or upper mids.
That's why I've never felt the need to do the MKII mod.

The highly praised HD668b is clearly inferior imo (very grainy, horrible timbre) and the EVO's bass lacks control.
Its only contestant imo is the 662F, but it's closed and not for everyone's tastes since it's an analytical studio hp.

Given its ridiculous price (around $25 - $30 in Europe), everyone should have a 681 in his quiver :wink:

Oct 26, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #249 of 911
I have 2x HD-681 and 1 pair HD-662F 
biggrin.gif
 For me, they all have sibilance and littlebit harshness @ highs but let`s not forget about other factors like different ppl hear differently + source is also important. Still, I find HD-681 with mkII (or newer mkIII) mod much better, more controlled & cleaner bass, better pronounced mids section and sparkly but pleasant highs. Same goes for HD-662F but it needs littlebit different mod than mkII. Btw, I have to mention that HD-662F sounds very semi-open. But it`s also very analytical, detailed & balanced-sounding can, for studio on budget it`s must-have.

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #250 of 911
One thing i must mention, the EVO soundstage's width is a little narrower but it have much more depth, imaging is clearly better than the red 681, vocal is not as smooth but it sound much more "real", i enjoy it very much. Red 681 is all-round better but when you feed the EVO with a dac/amp that has good soundstage's depth, it really bring me to a new level of enjoyment.

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #251 of 911
  One thing i must mention, the EVO soundstage's width is a little narrower but it have much more depth, imaging is clearly better than the red 681, vocal is not as smooth but it sound much more "real"...

Imho soundstage depends mostly on DAC/AMP used. With Aune T1, depending on tube used, it can be seriously holographic soundstage with unbeliveable imaging and separation. So, wouldn`t really agree with that opinion :wink:

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #252 of 911
  Imho soundstage depends mostly on DAC/AMP used. With Aune T1, depending on tube used, it can be seriously holographic soundstage with unbeliveable imaging and separation. So, wouldn`t really agree with that opinion :wink:

Soundstage depend on all of your audio chain but if your headphone doesn't have potential to portray a 3d soundstage then whatever you plug it into you still get 2d sound. On the SAME audio chain, my EVO have MUCH better depth than the red 681.

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #253 of 911
Well, maybe EVO has littlebit more depth then but really, can`t feel any shortage of depth with HD-681 (mkIIfilter mod + custom pads), depends on tube too. But this is too offtopic already :wink: Btw, does your HD-681 (red) have mkII filter mod? It makes large difference vs. stock.

Oct 26, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #254 of 911
  Well, maybe EVO has littlebit more depth then but really, can`t feel any shortage of depth with HD-681 (mkIIfilter mod + custom pads), depends on tube too. But this is too offtopic already :wink: Btw, does your HD-681 (red) have mkII filter mod? It makes large difference vs. stock.

Off cource mine do, i even recable and do every mod that i can find and think of. I assume that you haven not listened to the EVO so you won't know how different between these two. HD681 have extremely large soundstage but the depth is just so so, it sounds really 2d, there's not much depth to talk about. With the EVO, you can easily heard the music with many layers, you can feel the distance between you and the singers, instruments clearly but with the red 681, there is almost only one layer. The different is little at first listen but the more i listen to it, the more i realize it was big improvement over the red 681.

Oct 26, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #255 of 911
it sounds really 2d, there's not much depth to talk about. ...there is almost only one layer

Sorry, don`t agree at all! Maybe you don`t have right tubes to get HD-681 depth and layering or maybe something`s wrong with your HD-681/setup/modding but saying HD-681 sounds 2d & almost one layer is like saying pigs can fly. Sorry, my ears & opinion and I bet many agree with it. Not trying to say that EVO is crap but even if there is difference, it`s tiny and that doesn`t make old HD-681 2d with one layer. But I`m glad that you like your EVO, enjoy it :wink:
you can easily heard the music with many layers, you can feel the distance between you and the singers, instruments clearly

That`s exactly what I`m enjoying on my HD-681 mkII :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back