REVIEW SUMMARY: A ranking of 32 tube and tube/hybrid headphone amps
Sep 29, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #451 of 484
ahh, no problem then :) cant wait to read ur bifrost review :D

Quote:
Thanks Justie. Actually I had originally planned a review of the Lyr, but then a review sample wasn't available to me for a long time. Schiit did send me one fairly recently which I have been listening to and posting about, including ranking it here. But I probably won't be doing a full review of it - I have commented on it already quite a bit in the Lyr thread. I will comment more on it in my upcoming review of the new Schiit DAC (which for the record I do not have in hand yet).
Yes, estreeter is right, my portable amp thread was locked for a reason, and I can't handle the volume of PMs from people asking me about them. But this thread for sure is not the place to ask about portables.

Oct 8, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #453 of 484
Curious to see how a lyr with most preferred tubes fares with a wa6 of similar calibre

Nov 5, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #456 of 484

Quote:
What would you recommend for a DT 880 600ohm, Schiit Lyr or Valhalla?

Cheers.

I have not tried the 880 with either one.  However, having owned the 880's for many years, and based on my experience with the Valhalla and the Lyr, I think I would go for the Valhalla.  The 880's can benefit from its warmth, and they do not require the power delivery of the Lyr.

Quote:
How do the Millett DIY amps compare?

Sorry, but I cannot say, I have not heard any of these.

Nov 5, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #458 of 484
Unfortunately not, although I agree the amps seem nice and have a good reputation.

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #460 of 484
skylab,

the apex peak/volcano ranks on n°3 when the isabella ranks on n°2, do you still think that the isabella is superior?

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #461 of 484
Great to see the revised ranking - the Apex and Redwine amps added to the list yet still not replacing the Leben for the top spot :)

I will be getting the Liquid Fire soon - I will try to compare it with the Leben in the Liquid Fire thread. Once you have a chance to listen to it, I would be very much interested in reading your views too (especially in comparison to the Leben). Cheers!

Dec 2, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #462 of 484

Quote:
skylab,

the apex peak/volcano ranks on n°3 when the isabella ranks on n°2, do you still think that the isabella is superior?

I do, yes, but both are truly excellent.

Quote:
Great to see the revised ranking - the Apex and Redwine amps added to the list yet still not replacing the Leben for the top spot :)

I will be getting the Liquid Fire soon - I will try to compare it with the Leben in the Liquid Fire thread. Once you have a chance to listen to it, I would be very much interested in reading your views too (especially in comparison to the Leben). Cheers!

I don't think I will ever be reviewing the Liquid Fire (although I would very much like to), but the listens I have had at shows were very promising.

Dec 4, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #463 of 484

Quote:
I do, yes, but both are truly excellent.

thanks,

I just stumbled upon your review of the blue circle audio hpt (a terrific review, btw), would you say that the isabella is more transparent than the hpt?

have you ever heard an amp made by mapletree audio?

thank you anyway..

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #464 of 484
What would be more suitable for a DT 880 600Ω, WA3 or WA6?

I've read that the WA2 provides excellent synergy with the high impedance DT line, so I would think the WA3 would be better, due to it's similarity with the WA2 as opposed to the WA6.

Dec 18, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #465 of 484
If all you plan on ever driving are high impedance cans, WA2 or WA3 make the most sense because they are OTL designs.  If you want the flexibility of low impedance cans someday, the WA6 makes sense because of its output transformer.  

Also, the whole WA2 vs WA3 question can be answered by your cans and budget.  If you drive the 880s, the WA3 is fine.  If you step up to the T1, you may benefit from the WA2.

I have the WA3 and love it.  I drove the 880s for a while before switching to the 990s.  I had no real complaints about driving the 880s, but sometimes, depending on the tube rolling combinations, the 880s sounded a tad cold and dry.  The 990s beef up a little more with some tubes pushing them.  Why am I telling you this?  Because the OTL amps sound more "tubey" than output transformer amps.  Depending on your listening preference, you need to answer this question, "Do you want more of a tube sound or solid state sound?". Then, you can pick the WA3 or WA6.  The WA3 will make the 880s more tube like than the WA6. 

Quote:
What would be more suitable for a DT 880 600Ω, WA3 or WA6?

I've read that the WA2 provides excellent synergy with the high impedance DT line, so I would think the WA3 would be better, due to it's similarity with the WA2 as opposed to the WA6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back