Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Dec 20, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #151 of 2,566
I do not understand the question ??
The SE5 is my "workhorse", and the protection that the memorywire gives is also important..

Why should I buy a 1000 Euro phone and then buy another pair so I do not have to use them ??

I enjoy my phones more than 10 hours everyday, it makes my workdays so much better, so to me it would be folish not to use them, I do not listen to headphones at home more than a couple of hours a week, so at home it would take 5-10 years to get 1000 hours on them..

I have used my SE5 for more than a 1000 hours just under 1 EURO/pr hour for the best earprotection you will ever get, that is OK and they are still as new when I look at them..

I have been wearing customearplugs the last 20 years or so at work and have never had any problems with "earfluids" ?? some of my phones have gone sour, but always at the jack, If the should get dirty they can be cleaned, no problem..

If you watch the entrance of the cable you will notice that there is a big, piece of something that holds the cable secure and also it takes the pressure of the soldering so I cross my fingers they will last forever...
I also think that extra joints, with a "plug" so you can change you get one soldering more and also the jont itself, seem to me would be a bit stupid to throw in the chain, it will degrade the signal and add more breaking point, much better with a cable you do not have to change than on you can change and have too, I have to say I do not own or have owned any IEMs with the option to change cable, so it is just my thoughts to the subject..

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #152 of 2,566

This is where I got the impression that you used them more as defenders. I'm not telling you how you should be using them, but rather suggesting an alternative
normal_smile .gif

Quote:
I mostly use them  at work where the double as hearing protection, to keep out the noise from the machinery, so I use them for about 10 hours a day, also without music..they isolate better than anything else i have tried, exept maybe foam plugs underneath full size earmuffs, but I do luckily not work in so much noise anymore that going to the extremes is nessesary.

Jan 9, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #154 of 2,566
Have anyone that have the SE5 listen to 3A system? I am interesting in a comparison with the 3A witch I think is much better than the jh 16. With JH 3A you can adjust the bas to much less than then the JH 16 and the details are much better than the JH 16. 

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #155 of 2,566
No one I know has both to make the comparison.  The 5-way has much better resolution than the JH16 but the detail within the instruments, which aren't placed in space like the 5-way, is close. The 5-way gives an amazing sense of where everything is with exceptional clarity into the edges and also recreates the nuances within the space such as back reflections and other things many CIEMs/headphones miss or don't recreate in an understandable way, which I call ambiance.  And what I mean by not recreating something in an understandable way is that the sound is there, but I can't figure out what it is since it doesn't have the same 3D shape and/or texture.  

At this point I can only imagine that the JH-3A system improves upon both the strengths and weaknesses of the JH16, which will result in a different presentation than that of the 5-way.  I hope to get the opportunity to compare the two some day.

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #157 of 2,566

Quote:
Hey, Joe, have you listened to the FutureSonics MG6Pro at all?

He hasn't at all.

However, he's heard quite a few customs. Why don't you tell him what you want in a custom and let him guide you to the best custom for you (of the ones he has heard)?

Also, I thought you had ordered a custom already? Maybe you had custom art picked out for a custom shell? The MG6Pro doesn't have art, due to the best acoustic placement of the variable size Low Frequency Vent. No art would mean that the MG6Pro isn't for you since art was important to you. I can say that Heir Audio is a pleasure to work with and they have a range of customs with different sound signatures (I've only heard the 8.A of Heir Audio's line). Maybe Joe will have another suggestion that you like.

Jan 10, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #158 of 2,566

Quote:
No one I know has both to make the comparison.  The 5-way has much better resolution than the JH16 but the detail within the instruments, which aren't placed in space like the 5-way, is close. The 5-way gives an amazing sense of where everything is with exceptional clarity into the edges and also recreates the nuances within the space such as back reflections and other things many CIEMs/headphones miss or don't recreate in an understandable way, which I call ambiance.  And what I mean by not recreating something in an understandable way is that the sound is there, but I can't figure out what it is since it doesn't have the same 3D shape and/or texture.  

At this point I can only imagine that the JH-3A system improves upon both the strengths and weaknesses of the JH16, which will result in a different presentation than that of the 5-way.  I hope to get the opportunity to compare the two some day.

[size=8.5pt]Well, the meber "aspiring writer" wrote about instrumets placed in space with the 3A... see red text :[/size]

[size=8.5pt]"I have both the HM801 and the iPod classic/CLAS combo and will compare them soon.I've just received the 3A and can post some initial impressions.My usual portable setup is iPod/CLAS/iBasso/SR71B/JH13 using Whiplash interconnects and cable.At home I replace the balanced JH13 with balanced HD800 (I no longer use my Gryphon CD Player and Stax 007t).The system I tested was iPod classic 160gb/CLAS/digital co-ax (whiplash)/stock cable.Before passing on my impressions, a word of warning - I only listen to classical music and at 56 the upper registers are not all they should be).[/size]
[size=8.5pt]Receiving the 3A yesterday at 10:00am I found it fully charged and played it constantly, save for two 1 hour breaks when the iPod had to be recharged, using a micro mini plugged into the wall outlet, through to 9:00am today when the 3A finally ran out of juice and had to be fully recharged.Impressions: Using my reference recording of the Northern Sinfonia live at the Sage, Gateshead (reference because my wife and I were at the concert and know precisely where every instrument was in a hall as acoustically perfect as it possible to be) my immediate impression was of separation being superior to the HD800 combo.I am always dubious as to claims made concerning staging as, in my limited experience everything is still in the head and staging must remain within that limited reference. We hear an instrument off right but it is still within the confines of our head, - apologies for digressing.[/size]

[size=8.5pt]For the first time, with the 3A, I was able not only to note the pizzicato from the second violins to the right of Thomas Zehetmair (soloist/conductor) but could distinguish the violas in front of him. For this to mean anything you need to know that he was standing only 6 feet from the front rank of the second violins, whilst the violas were 6 feet in front of him. The second violins merge into the violas and previously the sound whilst certainly different from the two groups was specially more homogenous - not so now. The violas are there in front of him and are distinct and separate from the lighter fellows.Now it is easy to spot the flute way back amongst the woodwinds but much harder when the distances are not so great.Again, however, the wind section had a degree of separation that was less apparent before, regardless that the other system was fully balanced.[/size]

[size=8.5pt]The detail - thus far - is no different between the balanced, run in system and the new 3A (interesting to see what difference the whiplash cable will make).If anyone is interested I will - upon receipt of the whiplash cable post my impressions comparing the HM801/SR71B/JH13 v CLAS balanced combo v 3A.My views, thus far. A very impressive system which I anticipate with a little running in and the whiplash addition, can only get better. So far, well worth the wait."[/size]

[size=8.5pt]average_joe, have you witnessed a concert that you have a good recording of where you remember where the instrument really where placed so you can compare that with the spacing of the ES 5 if they really puts the instrument where there suppose to be in a 3D space, like aspiring writer did with the 3A system?[/size]

[size=8.5pt]3D space accuracy is what the phase correction between the signals (3-way) in 3A (done by DSP processing) is for. And I personally think that the 3A system betters the JH 16 a lot in this matter. But I would love to compare it with the ES 5 witch seems to be my next IEM (silicon and all). Thanks for sharing your impression Joe, that really seems to cost me another 1400$ for this bizarre hobby :)[/size]

Jan 10, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #159 of 2,566

Quote:
He hasn't at all.

However, he's heard quite a few customs. Why don't you tell him what you want in a custom and let him guide you to the best custom for you (of the ones he has heard)?

Also, I thought you had ordered a custom already? Maybe you had custom art picked out for a custom shell? The MG6Pro doesn't have art, due to the best acoustic placement of the variable size Low Frequency Vent. No art would mean that the MG6Pro isn't for you since art was important to you. I can say that Heir Audio is a pleasure to work with and they have a range of customs with different sound signatures (I've only heard the 8.A of Heir Audio's line). Maybe Joe will have another suggestion that you like.

Whoah! You're getting WAAAAY ahead of yourself, there.

I simply asked if average_Joe has heard the MG6Pro because I wanted to know how he feels about it, given his background of listening to a very wide variety of other high-end CIEMs. The question was directed to him.

Jan 12, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #160 of 2,566

Quote:
[size=8.5pt]Well, the meber "aspiring writer" wrote about instrumets placed in space with the 3A... see [/size][size=8.5pt]red[/size][size=8.5pt] text :[/size]

[size=8.5pt]"I have both the HM801 and the iPod classic/CLAS combo and will compare them soon.I've just received the 3A and can post some initial impressions.My usual portable setup is iPod/CLAS/iBasso/SR71B/JH13 using Whiplash interconnects and cable.At home I replace the balanced JH13 with balanced HD800 (I no longer use my Gryphon CD Player and Stax 007t).The system I tested was iPod classic 160gb/CLAS/digital co-ax (whiplash)/stock cable.Before passing on my impressions, a word of warning - I only listen to classical music and at 56 the upper registers are not all they should be).[/size]
[size=8.5pt]Receiving the 3A yesterday at 10:00am I found it fully charged and played it constantly, save for two 1 hour breaks when the iPod had to be recharged, using a micro mini plugged into the wall outlet, through to 9:00am today when the 3A finally ran out of juice and had to be fully recharged.Impressions: Using my reference recording of the Northern Sinfonia live at the Sage, Gateshead (reference because my wife and I were at the concert and know precisely where every instrument was in a hall as acoustically perfect as it possible to be) my immediate impression was of separation being superior to the HD800 combo.I am always dubious as to claims made concerning staging as, in my limited experience everything is still in the head and staging must remain within that limited reference. We hear an instrument off right but it is still within the confines of our head, - apologies for digressing.[/size]

[size=8.5pt]For the first time, with the 3A, I was able not only to note the pizzicato from the second violins to the right of Thomas Zehetmair (soloist/conductor) but could distinguish the violas in front of him. For this to mean anything you need to know that he was standing only 6 feet from the front rank of the second violins, whilst the violas were 6 feet in front of him. The second violins merge into the violas and previously the sound whilst certainly different from the two groups was specially more homogenous - not so now. The violas are there in front of him and are distinct and separate from the lighter fellows.Now it is easy to spot the flute way back amongst the woodwinds but much harder when the distances are not so great.Again, however, the wind section had a degree of separation that was less apparent before, regardless that the other system was fully balanced.[/size]

[size=8.5pt]The detail - thus far - is no different between the balanced, run in system and the new 3A (interesting to see what difference the whiplash cable will make).If anyone is interested I will - upon receipt of the whiplash cable post my impressions comparing the HM801/SR71B/JH13 v CLAS balanced combo v 3A.My views, thus far. A very impressive system which I anticipate with a little running in and the whiplash addition, can only get better. So far, well worth the wait."[/size]

[size=8.5pt]average_joe, have you witnessed a concert that you have a good recording of where you remember where the instrument really where placed so you can compare that with the spacing of the ES 5 if they really puts the instrument where there suppose to be in a 3D space, like aspiring writer did with the 3A system?[/size]

[size=8.5pt]3D space accuracy is what the phase correction between the signals (3-way) in 3A (done by DSP processing) is for. And I personally think that the 3A system betters the JH 16 a lot in this matter. But I would love to compare it with the ES 5 witch seems to be my next IEM (silicon and all). Thanks for sharing your impression Joe, that really seems to cost me another 1400$ for this bizarre hobby :)[/size]

Interesting write-up.  While I don't have a recording of a concert I was at from a device that is where my head was, I will sight somewhat question if placement was perfect.  I do know that the different sound signatures of my different custom IEMs will place instruments in different places relative to others, for example, a singer being more up close and personal vs being further back, so if the recording of a performance was purchased after vs. recorded at the show from the users perspective, it would be difficult to really say the placement of everything is perfect.  It may be, however, which would be a great feat.

What the 5-way does so well is recreate instruments and sounds within the space with realistic edges and sufficient detail along with reflections of sound I simply don't hear with other CIEMs, or at least don't hear in as understandable way.  Grzegorz tries to get the most accurate attack/decay capability and recreation which translates to better definition in comparison with what I own.  With that said, I would love to hear the JH-3A as I think the JH16 technically is very good and with the phase correction, that should be a great performer.

Quote:
Whoah! You're getting WAAAAY ahead of yourself, there.

I simply asked if average_Joe has heard the MG6Pro because I wanted to know how he feels about it, given his background of listening to a very wide variety of other high-end CIEMs. The question was directed to him.

No I have not heard the mg6pro yet, but it is one of my goals when I have the time.

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #162 of 2,566
ohh.....:frowning2:   I have waited for 3 months..for this IEMs....They are extremely busy...

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #164 of 2,566
well I am still waiting. They have really decent service. They are really responsive and polite. Maybe they are filled with tons of orders. And 5 way crossing is the most complicated way to make an IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back