Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Oct 24, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #2,536 of 2,566
Can I remold SE5 ciem to SE5U , just wonder

Oct 24, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #2,538 of 2,566
Jan 4, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #2,539 of 2,566
is Se5 reference a sidegrade or downgrade to SE5 Ultimate ?

how would se5 reference sound in general ?

Jan 5, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #2,540 of 2,566
To me, downgrade with a different sound signature.

Jan 5, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #2,541 of 2,566
Perfect pairing with perfect sound:

20180105_084852_HDR_2.jpg

Feb 17, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #2,542 of 2,566
Do aftermarket cables work with SE5U? I ask bcos DHC mentions specifically that the SE5U's sockets are non-standard, and DHC's cables will not fit them. However, I've seen pics of people using EA cables (like the post directly above mine) and I remember a Norne Silvergarde being used as well. That being said, an older post in the Toxic Cables thread also mentions that their cables fit after "some modifications".

So my question is simply, did Spiral Ear change the socket to standard, or do just a few cables work with SE stuff? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #2,543 of 2,566
SE5U sockets are standard 2 pins 78mm but recessed.

Feb 17, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #2,544 of 2,566
Do aftermarket cables work with SE5U? I ask bcos DHC mentions specifically that the SE5U's sockets are non-standard, and DHC's cables will not fit them. However, I've seen pics of people using EA cables (like the post directly above mine) and I remember a Norne Silvergarde being used as well. That being said, an older post in the Toxic Cables thread also mentions that their cables fit after "some modifications".

So my question is simply, did Spiral Ear change the socket to standard, or do just a few cables work with SE stuff? Thanks in advance.
I also think that the SE5U will work with standard 2 pins (upgrade) cables. The guy (Nic) from who I had it on a loan for several weeks, told me that he had tried different cables, but always came back to the stock one. When I had his SE5U here, I didn't even bother to try it with other upgrade cables and it sounded fantastic (imo) with the stock cable indeed :ksc75smile:

Feb 17, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #2,545 of 2,566
All my third party pinned cables fit in them.

Feb 17, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #2,546 of 2,566

Gregorz wrote me about aftermarket cables:

"Regarding aftermarket cables- please note that only industry/standard 0,78mm pin diameter cables can be used (also, with a similar lightweight plug housing, which is very important).
Any aftermarket cables with different plug housings and especially bulky “barrel” types are not recommended.
Regarding “barrel” housing type cables the strain is really bad on them, especially with long term usage, and it exerts high pressure and forces onto the pins (the longer the barrel the more pressure, obviously), and thus on the sockets as well. Such design is very non-ergonomic and not reliable, especially with long term usage, therefore we don’t recommend it.
Our warranty does not cover any damage caused by aftermarket cables as well."

Feb 17, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #2,547 of 2,566
Thanks a million guys. Stock would be of course, the best option (and saves some cash along the way), but I do intend to listen to them balanced with my Sony WM1A DAP too. I'll probably just cable-roll with my existing collection and pick the best one from there.

Feb 17, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #2,548 of 2,566
Thanks a million guys. Stock would be of course, the best option (and saves some cash along the way), but I do intend to listen to them balanced with my Sony WM1A DAP too. I'll probably just cable-roll with my existing collection and pick the best one from there.

let us now how it pairs with WM1A , as it is my current DAP and se5 is always on my sights (along with EE Phantom , these are the 2 ciems that i would seriously consider purchasing as my next buys)

thanx in advance

Feb 17, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #2,549 of 2,566

Welcome to our exclusive club Lau!!!

Ha, i must say im very surprised that you ordered a pair and given how the latest offerings from EE has just rolled out!!! But i do wanna say that i am very certain you will not regret your purchase and will soon be surprised as to how coherent, balanced and natural the SE5U sounds! Totally excited for you man!

3 Cheers!!!

Feb 17, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #2,550 of 2,566
Welcome to our exclusive club Lau!!!

Ha, i must say im very surprised that you ordered a pair and given how the latest offerings from EE has just rolled out!!! But i do wanna say that i am very certain you will not regret your purchase and will soon be surprised as to how coherent, balanced and natural the SE5U sounds! Totally excited for you man!

3 Cheers!!!
I ordered early November before all the EE fanfare. Just really took my time to get the impressions to Grzegorz. They arrived January, and work was just finished for mine. This is followed by the longest FedEx delivery in history owing to the Chinese New Year holidays haha. I still haven't received them yet, but will update when I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back