Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Jan 6, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #1,757 of 2,566
Can anyone recommend a good desktop DAC to be used with the SE-5? I found these two threads. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/689783/december-2013-mid-level-dac-comparison

http://www.head-fi.org/t/693798/ranking-of-17-dacs-and-dac-configurations

But they only test with headphones. And then in the first thread, they say "most of these DACs sound indistinguishable". My reaction is that an IEM, particularly a top end CIEM like the SE-5, is really the tool you need, that headphones are just a blunt instrument. I hate to say that to headphone heads but do we agree?

Jan 6, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #1,758 of 2,566
Most people don't use desktop gear to run their C/IEMs. Both of the those threads don't use C/IEMs in their testing so that isn't a very good source for information in your case. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #1,759 of 2,566
Would you go so far as to say, if you can't hear differences between DACs, you need to stop using headphones, and use either CIEMs, or speakers.

I am kind of stuck between the 2 camps here. Camp 1 is desktop DAC/amp driving headphones. Camp 2 is portable DAC/amp driving IEMs.

When I say to people here at head-fi (opinionated is a nice word for many of them) I want to use an Android tablet at home, over USB OTG, to drive a desktop DAC/amp, to drive IEMs, they tell me this is a crime against nature, and that I should be taken out and shot for even suggesting it. I suppose as Howard Aiken said "If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats." 

All I wanted was the best user interface and access to music data (Android tablet) + the best DAC (desktop maybe, or at least the most expensive) + the best amp + the best sound (SE-5 CIEM). But its either impossible, or wrong, or at least there's not much information about it. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #1,761 of 2,566
  Would you go so far as to say, if you can't hear differences between DACs, you need to stop using headphones, and use either CIEMs, or speakers.

I am kind of stuck between the 2 camps here. Camp 1 is desktop DAC/amp driving headphones. Camp 2 is portable DAC/amp driving IEMs.

When I say to people here at head-fi (opinionated is a nice word for many of them) I want to use an Android tablet at home, over USB OTG, to drive a desktop DAC/amp, to drive IEMs, they tell me this is a crime against nature, and that I should be taken out and shot for even suggesting it. I suppose as Howard Aiken said "If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats." 

All I wanted was the best user interface and access to music data (Android tablet) + the best DAC (desktop maybe, or at least the most expensive) + the best amp + the best sound (SE-5 CIEM). But its either impossible, or wrong, or at least there's not much information about it. 

I don't think one has to be mutually exclusive to one or the other. Personally, I enjoy and own all three - speakers, full-sized headphones, and CIEMs. They all have their purposes, but unfortunately a lot of the gear doesn't mix and match together. Meaning you have to shell out money on each setup. There are exceptions of course. Personally, headphones still offer the most superior sound IMO. CIEMs are for convenience mostly, at least for me. 

Your choice of setup is not uncommon. There are tons of ways to get your music to your ears, so don't be ashamed to use what you have. Technically it isn't ideal, but it doesn't really matter as long as you enjoy what you have. 

As for portable gear vs desktop gear - there isn't a question in my head. Portable designed gear has more limitations, and will probably never match desktop quality. It isn't a knock on what is out there, but just a situation where "it is what it is". A desktop DAC is not really unheard of with CIEM users. In fact, you will get better performance of course. The only reason why you don't see more people using such a setup is because C/IEMs are targeted towards portable use. Can't lug around desktop gear. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #1,763 of 2,566
Wow, Flaco, congrats on purchase mate. Let us know your impressions
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #1,764 of 2,566
After about 2 hours of use I have to say they are really amazing. I need to get used to insert them because they're not "lubricated" yet. I don't know why everybody always mentions that the monitors are dark sounding. To my ears they are definitely not that dark. I've heard monitors that are at least 3 times darker than these. I don't know if the SE5 compensates the mentioned dark sound with his high resolution but for my taste it isn't that dark and I wasn't expecting this. They sound nice with any kind music. I also like their ability to change with track. No matter with what you feed them, they will sound it's best. Of course, I am not using 128kbps mp3's. So far I am very happy with my purchase...

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #1,765 of 2,566
  After about 2 hours of use I have to say they are really amazing. I need to get used to insert them because they're not "lubricated" yet. I don't know why everybody always mentions that the monitors are dark sounding. To my ears they are definitely not that dark. I've heard monitors that are at least 3 times darker than these. I don't know if the SE5 compensates the mentioned dark sound with his high resolution but for my taste it isn't that dark and I wasn't expecting this. They sound nice with any kind music. I also like their ability to change with track. No matter with what you feed them, they will sound it's best. Of course, I am not using 128kbps mp3's. So far I am very happy with my purchase...

What is your source/amp mate?

Happy to see you enjoying, sure SE5way is a special ciem. That lubrication you are looking for will soon come don't worry, at the beginning it was also problem for me to insert them but now it is done in a second.

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #1,766 of 2,566
I am using the HM-901 with the standard card. It sound superb, really. It will probably be even better with the balanced card and trrs.
I also have an Ak120 but havent tried it yet with the se5

Jan 9, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #1,767 of 2,566
  I am using the HM-901 with the standard card. It sound superb, really. It will probably be even better with the balanced card and trrs.
I also have an Ak120 but havent tried it yet with the se5

Mim can help you on that balanced card/trrs terminaton differences.

Congrats on purchase and welcome to the club
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #1,769 of 2,566
  Thanks mate! He already told me that they benefit from going balanced. I need to try that.

and I need to resist to try that
happy_face1.gif
Don't get me wrong, sure HM901 is a lovely sounding dap, it is just, a little more battery and maybe a pocketable size could be better. Do you imagine yourself putting the dap into your front pockets of jeans and walk normally?

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #1,770 of 2,566

and I need to resist to try that
happy_face1.gif
Don't get me wrong, sure HM901 is a lovely sounding dap, it is just, a little more battery and maybe a pocketable size could be better. Do you imagine yourself putting the dap into your front pockets of jeans and walk normally?

No, not really. I usually have it next to me or in my hands. For sure, the AK120 is more pocketable but I don't want to run it unamped because of the output impedance. Also, ak240 is coming but who wants to keep a 2000$ DAP in their pocket while they're walking around in the city. Most of the DAP's at the moment aren't very pocket friendly. I bought my DAP's and IEM'S because I want to listen to music when I rest or just hang around and chill. SE5 are the perfect partner IMO. I mean if you take a ride on the bicycle, I don't want to wear my customs meanwhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back