Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Jul 24, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #1,981 of 2,566

Do you already have the SE5? Do you feel it lacks "sparkle"? If you do, you should consider changing source, ZX1 or AK240 could work. Otherwise silver is supposed to push towards what you are looking for, but there are better ways to spend money to improve sound than cables...

Yes, i own SE5 for a long time actually and love them specially for long listening sessions. I know they can be even more refined though;] Since i recently bought AK240 my goal for setup was to add good balanced cable as a cherry on the top. But is it worth it? How much that good balanced cable would improve sound?

@Mimouille   What is the better way to do that not without sticking portable amp to it? (i want to be able to fit it in the pocket)  Vinnie's mod fixes lower part of the spectrum from what i've read.

Silver probably will help along with a brighter source. But the SE5 itself with its thick signature really isn't meant to be very sparkly to begin with. Not next to other IEMs I've heard at least.

Thanks lee. I know they won't be NT6 or other brighter IEM's but buying new cable i would like to go this way. 

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #1,985 of 2,566
My se5 will arrive next week! It's nice to join the club
smily_headphones1.gif

You are out of control my friend. NT6 pro, now this?  
biggrin.gif

I see you are in USA, how are you getting it to USA?  I lost interst in it after finding out SE won't ship to USA.

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #1,992 of 2,566
Hmmm...Thanks Lee 730....Not in a position to get anything at this stage.....Only wanted to know if anyone had heard them as there doesnt seem to be a thread for them...But judging from your reply.....5way still the one to get. 

Sep 6, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #1,993 of 2,566
  Hmmm...Thanks Lee 730....Not in a position to get anything at this stage.....Only wanted to know if anyone had heard them as there doesnt seem to be a thread for them...But judging from your reply.....5way still the one to get. 

Yeah the more I use them the more I enjoy them. Well worth the purchase in the end. I don't have regrets of a mediocre purchase like my first CIEM :wink:. I'm not sure if tupac had the 3 or 4? Maybe he'll know.

Sep 16, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #1,994 of 2,566
I've been PM'ing about this with tupac and AJ, but I would like to know opinion of more 5way users.

Which DAP would you reccomend for 5way?

Currently I have DIY modded iPod Video with DIY class A amp (in my view it is technically on pair with Leckerton Audio UHA-760 w/ AD8620). I have owned dx90 (but before RB was developed on dx90). I had Studio V 3ANW and FiiO X5 (2.0 firmware) on a long-term loan.

I don't want to change the sound signature of 5way (although a little bit decrease of warmth/thickness of 5ways would be preferred). I just want to have a DAP which will squeeze out the best from 5ways. I'm not looking for a decent or just good pair for 5ways, it has to be one of the best sources for 5ways.

I don't care about UI, although I would prefer not have such primitive UI like the one which Studio V 3 ANW has (Studio's UI is actually okey but the fact that while playing a given song I can't go back to the previous menu and I have to go back to to the initial menu disqualifies this player for me). I don't care about any special features like WIFI, bluetooth etc.
The battery life should be at least 10 hours, but 7-8 hours is acceptable. DAP will only feed 5ways and in the near future Harmony 8 Pro as well, so I don't care about headphones etc.

From what I gathered dx100/hdp-r10 would be the best (although a top class amp like Portaphile 627 or Lear FSM-02 could add a little more refinement to the sound). Are there any other choices? I've read that Sony ZX-1 is a good pair for 5ways, but it seems to lack power to be considered as squeezing out all the best from 5ways. Maybe ZX-1 with a good amp (but not the Sony PHA amps) will do the trick? Maybe Hifiman HM-802?

Unfortunately I can't spend more than, let's say, USD 700-800 (although less would be better), so I will not be able to buy Hifiman HM-901, Chord Hugo, Calyx, AK240 or AK120.

Of course I'm interested in second hand DAPs and not only new ones.

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #1,995 of 2,566
If you can stand the UI of DX100, definitely get that, although the sound might sound somewhat TOO smooth at times (lack of excitement). 901 is your next best bet, and it also drives H8P super well~

SE5 actually sounds on the thinner side of spectrum (5%), although it's forward, warm and organic, it definitely does not sound thick, to my ears, H8P sounds a little thicker overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back