Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
May 13, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #1,966 of 2,566
  How does silver affect the treble flaco? I think I would go for some high quality copper or hybrid maybe.

The treble is thinner and extended. I don't know if this is caused by the cable but on some tracks its so thin, almost harsh.
For example while listening to the newest album of Echaskech, it sounds insanely good with the SE5's.
You need to try that album in lossless, of course, good source and amplification is obligatory.

May 13, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #1,967 of 2,566
From my experience, silver/copper, or copper alone will add a little presence of bass. But it still depends on the pairing. 

May 13, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #1,970 of 2,566
Well, the fixed 128 gb storage is not my cup of tea honestly. I will hold my dap purchase as I spent my money on other things nowadays, I will see the next gen. daps and decide what to get. In the meantime, oldies but goldies will serve me.

May 13, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #1,971 of 2,566
  Well, the fixed 128 gb storage is not my cup of tea honestly. I will hold my dap purchase as I spent my money on other things nowadays, I will see the next gen. daps and decide what to get. In the meantime, oldies but goldies will serve me.

Well then don't expect to much in sound quality, usability is another thing. My eyes are one the Calyx M right now. I have the feeling that it'll be a pretty good DAP.

May 13, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #1,972 of 2,566
  Well then don't expect to much in sound quality, usability is another thing. My eyes are one the Calyx M right now. I have the feeling that it'll be a pretty good DAP.

We shall wait and see
wink.gif

Jul 14, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #1,976 of 2,566
So how silver/gold cable will improve overall sound from stock SE5 one? 
Plus, does balanced versions (for AK240) are really worth the price? 
Is there anyone using such a configuration?

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #1,977 of 2,566
Well it  could depend on how the silver-gold cable is manufactured as well. I am using Tralucent older gold cable which sounds quite different than the new version. I like how it sounds on the SE5. It pretty much takes the SE5s approach on music and makes it more natural, with more depth to the sound staging. Lusher mid range, with more textured bass. Treble is smoother.

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #1,979 of 2,566
  So what kind of cable i should look at to get some "sparkle", smoth mids and open soundstage more? Silver, silver/copper, silver gold? (with 2.5 TRRS connector). 

Do you already have the SE5? Do you feel it lacks "sparkle"? If you do, you should consider changing source, ZX1 or AK240 could work. Otherwise silver is supposed to push towards what you are looking for, but there are better ways to spend money to improve sound than cables...

Jul 24, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #1,980 of 2,566
Silver probably will help along with a brighter source. But the SE5 itself with its thick signature really isn't meant to be very sparkly to begin with. Not next to other IEMs I've heard at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back