Review: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level of resolution? (Review posted 5/15/12)
Sep 16, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #2,011 of 2,566
X5 sounds good with SE5, in my memory, quite akin to 901 but not as good...but I did not like the shape and UI. Felt cheap to me.

For the cards, iem is to be avoided, sounded bad with SE5 to my ears, with sort of sibilant raspy mids. Balanced is good and discrete is more neutral. Never tried Minibox.

Never listened to DX9O.

Sep 17, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #2,012 of 2,566
Is there any hdp-r10 user here? Is the problem mentioned by tupac applicable to the Japanese version of dx100? This problem seems to be UI related so maybe hdp-r10 do not have it (as I understand hdp-r10 is considered as having more mature UI).

Didn't realize it til reading this thread but, for some reason, I only use the physical volume buttons on my r10 (guess I prefer gradual volume adjustment that NO slider I've ever used can provide).

UI is a bit different on the r10 vs dx100 but (from pics an videos I've seen) onscreen volume slider appears same. I do recall reading in one of the threads here (sorry, not sure if it was the r10 or dx100 thread) that power output may have been a bit reduced on the r10 to help increase batt life. So it may not have exact same max volume as dx100 but all reviews I've read on both still say they can drive difficult headphones.

Never maxed my r10s vol yet (not willing to test this theory; may change when I finally buy some hungrier phones) but I don't doubt it could have similar issues if not careful with onscreen slider. 

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #2,013 of 2,566
Hey guys I just received my SE5, all is good except I cannot pull the right pin out of the shell. Seems glued and I dont want to force and rip the internals apart.

Any of you ever had this problem, how did you solve?

Thanks

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #2,014 of 2,566
you just gonna do it somehow *_*

Interesting note: my left ear piece connector can rotate 180 degree internally :wink: and still function

Oct 1, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #2,015 of 2,566

Interesting note: my left ear piece connector can rotate 180 degree internally
wink.gif
and still function

lol sounds scary...

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #2,019 of 2,566

Interesting note: my left ear piece connector can rotate 180 degree internally
wink.gif
and still function

He has like 7 pairs so its ok...

My pair is even more scary. I took the cables out but can still hear music
eek.gif

Woah I hesitate a lot to buy se5 now I am afraid.
Your se5 are not so old.
What 's going on ?

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #2,020 of 2,566
lol I'm sure Mimou is being facetious. I don't know about tupac though.... When he mentions 7 pairs he means other CIEMs :wink:...

Personally I wouldn't risk changing cables very often at all on the SE5 being that it is silicone. I changed it out a couple times but won't do that anymore. Sounds marvelous on the old gold cable.

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #2,022 of 2,566
After many hours of back and forth between my toys I found my perfect IEM: the LKE2.10.5

The shimmering highs of the K10
The captivating mids of the SE-5
The tight and powerful bass of the LCD2

Now let me find my magic wand...

Nov 29, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #2,023 of 2,566
Nov 30, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #2,024 of 2,566
it's actually really hard to get an idea out of this. Was questioning myself all day long if i should change, but couldn't make up my mind until now. I think there is actually no way the SE5 and the Harmony 8 could be in direct competition. They are in my mind more complementary….and technicaly equal. SE5 have a huge impact but less space, which makes them powerfull as it can get (of what i heard)….while the H8 are very very spacious and very well balanced with a all over presentation which leaves nothing behind or out. 
I guess i just need them both……..

deadhorse.gif

and here goes my financial suicide……...

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #2,025 of 2,566
Like I told you on TN, once you go down the rabbit hole...well it is over. At first you tell yourself you need only one iem, good enough. Then you need one, but the best there is. Then you need one custom and one universal. Then another custom for your different moods. Then another custom that has better synergy with your other DAP. Then just this new Japanese universal because there are only 200 of them (Kaede and Lab 1 anyone?). Then your favorite brand comes out with a breakthrough technology. And then your wife leaves you and you only have this left in life so you stop making excuses and just buy everything.

My wife is still here but she's awesome, so do not take her as a reference.

So in the end...do not go there....well unless it's for the SE5 of course...that one is just too awesome :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back