[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Feb 25, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #1,981 of 3,824
Thanks for the reply Tai. I had the misconception that the sound will work but the mic will not if the standards don't match. Thanks for confirming that its normal for the sound to appear muffled. I'll wait for the converter. :)

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #1,982 of 3,824
Quote:
And I thought people here were exaggerating about the cable. The Cable is truly,utterly horrible. 
tongue.gif

When almost everyone makes a point about it. We aren't exaggerating. 

The level of hate/dislike for it varies, some want to remain more unbias'ed and not to seem like jerks to the unit.

Etc Etc. But you know something is up when everyone has at least one comment about the cable.

Feb 26, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #1,983 of 3,824
must say. i bought these (15$) after reading your review, love them . amazing performance for price.
one thing i just could not do with is the flat cable.

-cable is heavy for these small earplugs.
-not symetric cables RIGHT/LEFT cause more pull on one side.
-the flat cable is very audible , any touch or move on it makes strong "thump" noise heard in ear.
-flat cable also makes positioning earplugs very hard. they fall very often. a lot head turning , sports etc.... are not possible.
- the Remote heavy , and not visible for button pushing and is so far up that every touch on it would pull earphone out of ear.

so i modded my MH1 : )
in consideration of "what if" from this page http://rinchoi.blogspot.co.il/2013/02/on-modification-of-sony-mh1.html
 i opened the MH1 cable, took an old sony earphone cable and soldered it 
 link: http://oi49.tinypic.com/2r6cxv5.jpg    ( or see my profile picture )
now they are super light and super fun still sound amazing and stay in my ear no matter what..
etysmile.gif

just ordered another pair and gonna mod them into a cast fit to my ears !
and also going to design a plastic mod cap for any who want to resloder cables and seal them with style and retain low freq response.
anyone game ?

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #1,986 of 3,824
Feb 27, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #1,987 of 3,824
Is there anyone who listens to their MH1C without an amp or DAC? I feel like it doesn't sound that great without one and cannot go loud enough. Mine might not be burned all the way though.

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #1,988 of 3,824
Quote:
Is there anyone who listens to their MH1C without an amp or DAC? I feel like it doesn't sound that great without one and cannot go loud enough. Mine might not be burned all the way though.

I listen to them straight from my J3. I must agree that they are quite difficult to drive for being 15 ohms, though I have no problems reaching a good listening volume with them.

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #1,989 of 3,824
Quote:

I listen to them straight from my J3. I must agree that they are quite difficult to drive for being 15 ohms, though I have no problems reaching a good listening volume with them.

I use my Samsung Galaxy Nexus and I never have problems with any of my other headphones. I also think they sound a lot cheaper without an amp; I'm going to resume burning them in to see if anything changes.

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #1,990 of 3,824
Quote:
I use my Samsung Galaxy Nexus and I never have problems with any of my other headphones. I also think they sound a lot cheaper without an amp; I'm going to resume burning them in to see if anything changes.

I don't think there's much of a difference in the sound between using them with or without an amp (besides the bass roll-off correction).

Have you tried them with another source? I have never tried them on a phone, so I have no reference on how they sound on one.

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #1,991 of 3,824
I don't think there's much of a difference in the sound between using them with or without an amp (besides the bass roll-off correction).

Have you tried them with another source? I have never tried them on a phone, so I have no reference on how they sound on one.
I don't have any portable players besides my phone anymore, but I've used my computer before. The sound is dramatically better with my ELE DAC, but I can get enough volume with or without it.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #1,992 of 3,824
Quote:

I do not listen to them unamped as they lose punch and clarity for me and I do have to turn up the volume a bit more than some of my other IEMs.

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #1,993 of 3,824
^ they are harder to drive but my ipod classic/ nano drives them fine. On almost max volume though.......................

Hey just a thought, have anyone tried to take off all the plastic parts of the remote so the cable will be lighter??? Will taking out the bulky plastic off of the remote damage the iem/ make it no longer work on one side? Thanks in advance for your inputs!!!

Feb 27, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #1,994 of 3,824
Quote:

Agreed, the MH1C are not as impressive straight from my laptop or MP3 player. They lack high-end clarity and detail. But when I hook them up to my Fiio E7, they become the $200+ sounding giant slayers that we know them to be. The resolution just skyrockets. The details come alive and everything becomes very clear, like someone wiped the dust off the window clean.

Feb 27, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #1,995 of 3,824
I do not listen to them unamped as they lose punch and clarity for me and I do have to turn up the volume a bit more than some of my other IEMs.

Yes they are not very easy to drive. You can listen them without amp, but with amp they will thoroughly shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back