[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Feb 17, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #1,966 of 3,824
I only now read about these IEMs and were impressed by the number of positive reviews. I've very interested in buying the MH1c. However, I would like to get some clarification on the issue of compatibility. I plan on using IEMs with mic with my Samsung Galaxy S3 (Mini) and my iPad 4. My plan is to listen to music via the S3 and watch movies and do Skype/Facetime calls via the iPad with these IEMs. Now I've read that the MH1c-model works pretty much flawlessly with S3. This is confirmed by Sony's product page. However, in Sony's chart it is said that you can use the MH1cs to only listen with the iPad. Is this true? So if I buy the MH1c IEMs I can watch movies from the iPad but I cannot make Skype-calls with them? 

I know it seems to be tricky to find IEMs with mic that work on both Android and iOS -environments (I wouldn't need remote control abilities with the iPad but it would be great to be able to change tracks or volume while listening to music via Android phone). Should I just forget about this hidden gem and go for something like Etymotic HF5 (HF3 would be great but I need remote control abilities more with the Android phone than with the iPad)?

I would really appreciate a reply here guys! Thank you!

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #1,967 of 3,824
I have tested MH1C with Skype on iPhone 4 and mic is not working, but it should work good with your S3. The sound of these is simply amazing, but the stiff flat cable is just bad. If you thing the cable will not be a problem for you, go for MH1C, they sound so freakin good...
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #1,968 of 3,824
thats weird the mic of my MH1 works fine with iPhone 4s and 5

Feb 17, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #1,970 of 3,824
Quote:
I have tested MH1C with Skype on iPhone 4 and mic is not working, but it should work good with your S3. The sound of these is simply amazing, but the stiff flat cable is just bad. If you thing the cable will not be a problem for you, go for MH1C, they sound so freakin good...
smily_headphones1.gif

That's what I was afraid of. I'd imagine the same goes for the iPad 4 then. I wonder if I could just use the iPad's mic with the MH1Cs when in Skype or Facetime. Anyway, I went ahead and ordered these IEMs. I found them on Ebay from a Hong Kong seller for slightly less than $40 delivered (lowest price I could find from Ebay/Amazon/local stores). The seller's all MH1C feedbacks were positive and one of the buyers said in his feedback that he received the real deal. The price is low and people are raving about these so much that it's bound to be a good investment. 

I currently own Ultimate Ears (before Logitech came in the picture) Super.fi 5 Pro which have been great but which have always suffered from serious cable durability problems (even with 3rd party replacement cables bought from Ebay). I guess in today's standards the Super.fi 5 Pro isn't even a Top-10 choice in below $150 IEMs (let alone in its original price class) so I'm hoping I have found a suitable replacement with more durability and perhaps even more performance. I found my beloved Audioengine A2 speakers via this forum so I'm hoping this will be another hidden gem from Head-fi that offers some serious bang-for-the-buck for significantly lower price than the competition.

EDIT: I see the opinion is mixed on compatibility with iDevices. It would be awesome if the mic worked with my iPad 4.

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #1,971 of 3,824
Ye I hope it will work for you. Tell us when you get it.

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #1,973 of 3,824
Quote:
now i'm waiting for this IEM to arrive at my door...
hope it won't make me dissapointed...

You won't be :)

BTW Rin posted interesting material about MH1C modifications - http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/02/on-modification-of-sony-mh1.html

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #1,975 of 3,824
Quote:
The only mod I want is recable one.

I would love them if I could personally recable them. I have little experience with recabling(past efforts with other stuff all failed) and considering these are micro IEM's.... It's impossible for me.

+1000000000000000000, anyone stateside willing/ got the skittles to re-cables these on the cheap??? Bless those kind hearts of yours in advance.

The only great looking re-cable i have seen here is that dood from China who paid a DIYer $15 for a re-cable. Damn i want to buy that set off him so bad. haha

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #1,977 of 3,824
Quote:
+1000000000000000000, anyone stateside willing/ got the skittles to re-cables these on the cheap??? Bless those kind hearts of yours in advance.

The only great looking re-cable i have seen here is that dood from China who paid a DIYer $15 for a re-cable. Damn i want to buy that set off him so bad. haha

x2,000!

Took these to the gym the other day and the cable was endlessly annoying.

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #1,979 of 3,824
I ordered an MH1 Livesound from Ebay India for lil bit less than $30. I knew that it would be incompatible with my S3 or my laptop. So, I also ordered a converter from Lunashops that ClieOS had reccomended. The earphones are here, but the converter will take time. 
While buying I had anticipated that even though the mic will not work, I will not have any trouble listening to music. However, that doesn't appear to be the case. When I plug it in, I get sound, but its muffled. I have to press and hold the black button at the center to get full found.
Can you confirm that this is the correct behavior? I just want to confirm that once I get the converter, I will be all set. Its always easier to get a replacement if I find out the thing is defective before rating the seller.

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #1,980 of 3,824
Quote:
I ordered an MH1 Livesound from Ebay India for lil bit less than $30. I knew that it would be incompatible with my S3 or my laptop. So, I also ordered a converter from Lunashops that ClieOS had reccomended. The earphones are here, but the converter will take time. 
While buying I had anticipated that even though the mic will not work, I will not have any trouble listening to music. However, that doesn't appear to be the case. When I plug it in, I get sound, but its muffled. I have to press and hold the black button at the center to get full found.
Can you confirm that this is the correct behavior? I just want to confirm that once I get the converter, I will be all set. Its always easier to get a replacement if I find out the thing is defective before rating the seller.

That means you do indeed get the MH1 and not the MH1C - in is normal for MH1 to sound 'weird' with normal source. MH1C is the one that will work normally on your S3 and laptop. Once you get the adapter, you should get the full sound without needing to push the centre button anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back