[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Dec 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #1,442 of 3,824
Quote:
Ok guys im a noob but I want to recable these sony's myself as the cable is terrible. Can anyone help me out with a guide on how to do it and recommend a cable to do it with. Thanks.

I guess the first question is, do you know how to solder?

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #1,443 of 3,824
Yes I can solder, I can use a heat gun and I can use a pair of scissors/wire strippers :). Also I was thinking of using my fake dr dre tour beats, as the cable as there about the same width but the beats cable is lighter.

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #1,444 of 3,824
After spending about 30 hours with the DN19 and the MH1C(50-60 hours) I will have to say that for most conditions that I will use an IEM in, I will choose the DN-19. The DN19 is already smooth, but not as smooth as the MH1C. IT also has a few other problems in all its frequency ranges that cause some fatigue but I won't go into that now. It's design is very tangle free already and also has ear buides and a insertion type that isn't deep insertion.

Just my two cents.

Obviously the DN19 is retail $130 so it's not exactly something the MH1C goes into but in case anybody was searching this thread for info about a comparison.

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #1,446 of 3,824
I've heard the ELE goes perfectly with them. I haven't tried it myself, yet...

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #1,447 of 3,824
Just received my MH1C 5 mins early, im shocked. LOVE IT! even the bass is a little muddy, but i guess it will get better once it's burned in. Comfortable fitting, easy insert. :)

Dec 8, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #1,451 of 3,824
Quote:
Guys please suggest a great budget amp for these beauties. I was thinking in the lines of Fiio E6.

iPhone 4S headphone out and probably iPhone 5 should work well enough already. These things do need a bit of current, but the iPhone already has more than enough. 

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #1,452 of 3,824
First attempt at recabling the MH1s. Didn't remember to take photos until I'd already done the housing terminations.

1) I used a craft knife to cut the rubber strain relief away from the side facing the ear so I could get at the terminations. If there's a proper way to remove the strain relief I'd be happy to know since I want to recable my other pair with silver wire in the new year.

2) Solder your new wires on. I used 26 AWG OCC 7N copper wire from toxic cables. Remember to label the ground and the signal wires.

3) I put the strain relief back on, then added a length of memory wire held on with heatshrink.

4) I planned to keep things simple with a 3 strand cable so I soldered the ground wire together I also twisted the wire around each other to stop them splitting.

5) At this point I decided how long to make the rest of the cable, then doubled it when I cut the wire so I could account for the loss of length from braiding. Label your wires at both ends.

6) Braid dem wires, I use masking tape to hold the braid together until I finish assembling the cable.

7) Finish up the soldering to the right, left and ground channels.

8) Use heatshrink to isolate the channel electrically, then a larger piece to hold them all together. Epoxy putty is another option.

9) Same for the 3.5mm jack. I've used a Neutrik 3.5mm straight jack since I gave about 15 of them in a drawer.

10) Look at your fancy new cable and listen to your improved MH1s.

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #1,454 of 3,824
Quote:
First attempt at recabling the MH1s. Didn't remember to take photos until I'd already done the housing terminations.

1) I used a craft knife to cut the rubber strain relief away from the side facing the ear so I could get at the terminations. If there's a proper way to remove the strain relief I'd be happy to know since I want to recable my other pair with silver wire in the new year.

2) Solder your new wires on. I used 26 AWG OCC 7N copper wire from toxic cables. Remember to label the ground and the signal wires.

3) I put the strain relief back on, then added a length of memory wire held on with heatshrink.

4) I planned to keep things simple with a 3 strand cable so I soldered the ground wire together I also twisted the wire around each other to stop them splitting.

5) At this point I decided how long to make the rest of the cable, then doubled it when I cut the wire so I could account for the loss of length from braiding. Label your wires at both ends.

6) Braid dem wires, I use masking tape to hold the braid together until I finish assembling the cable.

7) Finish up the soldering to the right, left and ground channels.

8) Use heatshrink to isolate the channel electrically, then a larger piece to hold them all together. Epoxy putty is another option.

9) Same for the 3.5mm jack. I've used a Neutrik 3.5mm straight jack since I gave about 15 of them in a drawer.

10) Look at your fancy new cable and listen to your improved MH1s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back