[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Nov 17, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #1,066 of 3,824
Quote:
I just received a pair. Out of the box I'd say they're more enjoyable than the Yamaha eph-100. Similar sig with better over all tonality (especially treble) but considerably slower bass. The slow bass is the only real SQ issue I have.
As to the cable, I'll just put some Velcro straps around it like the tape mod and call it a day. These will probably be my new lawn mowing iem, since the bass is so boomy and slow. Good $21 value.

Would you post a pix with the Velcro please?

u6y7ada4.jpg

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #1,069 of 3,824
Quote:
Haven't tried yet. Cold weather, football and no grass growth is a great thing. On another note, I'm loving the MHC1 tips with GR07.

Cool.......and more than just the weather :)

Idea......while I'm waiting for the Ortofon tips to come for the 334 maybe they will also work on the 334s? 

Those MHC1's just keep giving!

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #1,071 of 3,824
I got this set of earphones off eBay ($22) and I must say I'm loving it.

The problem with this earphones is not related to sound quality at all, but rather the ergonomics.
The cable is J-corded, i.e. asymmetrical, with the right side longer. My experience is that my right ear loses seal/earphones fall out when turning my head.
Looking at the post above, I attempted the rather simple (common sense, really! cable ties work great.) mod to turn it into a Y cord, and I must say the ergonomics improve remarkably.

With a Y-cord mod, I strongly recommend wearing it over-the-ear. The cable noise from movements reduces to a very acceptable level.

Lastly, YMMV, but while everyone's praising the stock tips, I can't get a good seal with them. M's too small, L's too large. I swapped my own dual-fanged tips in and isolation/fit improved noticeably.

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #1,072 of 3,824
I received a pair of MH1Cs in the mail yesterday, and I'm finding it way better than my Klipsch S4s.   Not impressed with the cabling, but it's fine by me. However, I don't understand all the praises for the stock tips; It seems very flimsy, and accumulates dust pretty quickly.  Moreover, I can't seem to move without the tips falling off.

Any suggestions on where to find replacement tips(Comply,etc ) which fits the MH1Cs ?

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #1,073 of 3,824
Moreover, I can't seem to move without the tips falling off.

The eartips fall off the nozzle or the whole earpiece fall off from your ear canal? If it is the former, it indicates ageing on silicone and probably improper storage (expose to heat) on the seller's part. If it is the later, well, everyone's ear canal is different, so you might need to try other size or alternative eartips. Might also be that you are not inserting it deep enough.

Nov 18, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #1,074 of 3,824
Quote:
The eartips fall off the nozzle or the whole earpiece fall off from your ear canal? If it is the former, it indicates ageing on silicone and probably improper storage (expose to heat) on the seller's part. If it is the later, well, everyone's ear canal is different, so you might need to try other size or alternative eartips. Might also be that you are not inserting it deep enough.

Firstly, thank you for bringing this gem to the community's attention!

I meant to say that the tips fall off from my ears.  I think inserting them at an angle alleviates the problem somewhat.  But I'm finding it hard to brush off the dust accumulation. I would have to invest in alternative tips, but I don't know which ones would fit the MH1C's nozzles. 

Nov 18, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #1,076 of 3,824
Quote:

Firstly, thank you for bringing this gem to the community's attention!

I meant to say that the tips fall off from my ears.  I think inserting them at an angle alleviates the problem somewhat.  But I'm finding it hard to brush off the dust accumulation. I would have to invest in alternative tips, but I don't know which ones would fit the MH1C's nozzles. 

All our ears are different. The fit of the stock tips, whatever came already on which I am assuming is MED, are the best stock tip fit I ever had right off the bat.They seal so well they POP when I taken them out. No discomfort or itching either.

Rather than reinvent the wheel (so to speak) if Sony put a good cable on these and re-marketed them they are a $150. earphone, maybe more!

Nov 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #1,078 of 3,824
MH1C sounds amazing on my PC(Realtek HD) with Winamp player.  Where as the TF10s sounds bloated and over-bassy with my PC. 

But on my Sony X1060 the T10s sound amazing where as the MH1C sounds bright, thin and airy.  Strangely again the MH1C sounds good on my Nokia E6 phone where as the T10s sound bloated and bassy.  

X1060 and MH1C do not pair very well. 

Advice for people who have problem making the MH1C work with their source I recommed using a extention cord as my MH1C does not work with my Nokia E6 but it does with a extention cord.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #1,079 of 3,824
Here's a review I recently found for MH1. I'd like to share it with everyone. :smile:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-mh1c-black-livesound-hi-fi-stereo-in-ear-headphones-earphones-headsets-head-sets-earpieces-mobile-phone-repair-part-replacement/reviews/7861

Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back