[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Nov 15, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #1,021 of 3,824
Received mine today from Starhall. More than happy with what i'm hearing so far. Being a drummer, it's important that i'm able to hear the bass drum clearly for covering songs. I had a pair of UE's but had to return them due to the left bud not working after 6 weeks and i thought they did a good job, but the Sony's are much better for what i need them to do. I'm very impressed with them and they only have 10 hours on them so far. I'm going to buy another pair as backup before they either become hard to get or the price jumps too much.

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #1,023 of 3,824
I am not really liking these.

Due to the micro driver size, they are easily moved around up and down and so the fit keeps on loosening. 

I can easily understand why they went with J-cord but it is horrendous and extremely uncomfortable and also causes moving of the driver.

The controls that I don't use cause problems when I am in a car. Every bump, the audio cuts out and cuts back in by about .2 seconds after the bump hits(there is a delay) and right back in. This problem is NOT reproduceable on the same setup by jumping up and down like a mad man, walking, or running all of which create bigger "bumps" then a card would. I will test with an iPod and amplifier tomorrow as I generally use the 4S.

Nov 15, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #1,024 of 3,824
The design of the MH1C isn't the greatest and I do hate the way the cords shaped but based on SQ alone they're well worth getting imo.  

These sound much better than the T-Peos H-100 ($130 to $175 depending on were you get them) because the mids are full sounding and still have pretty much the same amount of detail and the highs don't make me go deaf like the H-100.  Even though the BA200 sound better I still use the MH1C when I want a bit more bass but that might end when I get the Heir 3.Ai Monday.  I'm not going to sale these anytime soon if ever because for the $10 or $15 I might get for them just isn't worth it compared to how good they sound.

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #1,025 of 3,824
hey guys, quick Qs, but can anyone comfirm that these cost $20?
I still don't quite get the difference between the MH1 and the MH1C.

are these the ones?

http://www.sony.com.au/product/mh1

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #1,026 of 3,824
Quote:

are these the ones?

The picture they have featured is the correct one, the model name is wrong. I'm guessing they are rebranding it so that the new updated version quietly overtakes the original and they are keeping it the same name. No idea if what you get is going to be the one in the pic though.

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #1,027 of 3,824
Wow, loving these at the moment listening to Kimbra "Vows" album.  The bass line is just great and the recording is well done.  Tried my eterna's yesterday to compare (was doing a workout) and while they stayed in better, the sound was just not even close to the sony's.  Mh1c's were so much more fun.  Every album I listen to seems to give me something different from them, while the eterna's were just....canalphones with music.  Shame, as I paid more than double for the eterna's.....

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #1,028 of 3,824
Quote:
The picture they have featured is the correct one, the model name is wrong. I'm guessing they are rebranding it so that the new updated version quietly overtakes the original and they are keeping it the same name. No idea if what you get is going to be the one in the pic though.

Thanks for the help.
at $99 though must be some mistake in the pricing or i'm getting shafted, i will have to think about these some more before buying

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #1,030 of 3,824
Quote:

are these the ones?

That one is a retail package so the price is more expensive.Bulk packaging are $20-30.You can buy them from amazon or ebay

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #1,031 of 3,824
And about the MH1 and MH1C:
Quote:
When MH1 was first announced, it was named ‘LiveSound’ under the Sony Ericsson brand and complied with the old OMTP standard. But when Sony bought out Ericssion’s share of the company and began to introduce their own Sony Xperia brand of Android smarphone, they start to adapt the CTIA standard on all their headsets. The new MH1 (*referred as MH1C, ’C’ is short for ‘CTIA’ presumably) is then renamed as ‘Smart Headset’ to differentiate itself from the old ‘LiveSound’ version. It was supposed to be a fairly easy and clean transition, but unfortunately it isn’t. Some of the new MH1(C) with CTIA wiring is still being sold on various part of the world under the ‘LiveSound’ moniker while other parts of the world already use the new ‘Smart Headset’ moniker. One thing for sure, if you see a MH1 with an old Sony Ericsson logo on the side, it is the OMTP version and not compatible to the newer Android smartphone. If it only has Sony logo stamped on the side, and being referred as ‘smart headset’ or with model name MH1C, then likely it is the new CTIA version. However, the only sure-fire way is to check with the seller for compatibility. In the event that you have acquired the wrong version for your cellphone, don’t despair – an inexpensive TRRS smart adapter will allow OTMP headset to work on a CTIA cellphone (and vice versa). This is by far one of the smallest I have found, and has pretty good build quality: Here.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #1,032 of 3,824
Quote:
I can hardly believe this phones. I've just switched from my FT!334 to the MH1's........they are not too bad in fact, there is a difference of course, I don't feel the need to switch back.
blink.gif
  Talk about the rule of diminishing returns as cost goes up. $1345. vs $24. hmmmmmmmm

Wow!

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #1,033 of 3,824
well i compared the mh1 to the brainwavz r1 and my ie80 yesterday. i am not sure, but i would say the r1 are slightly better performer overall. especially in details and highs. compered to the sennheiser the mh1 losses in everything hands down. the ie80 is much more refined, airy, detailed and better balanced. i like the mh1 quite much for what it is. but they are no giant killers as i thought without direct comparison.

Nov 16, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #1,035 of 3,824
Quote:
The design of the MH1C isn't the greatest and I do hate the way the cords shaped but based on SQ alone they're well worth getting imo.  

These sound much better than the T-Peos H-100 ($130 to $175 depending on were you get them) because the mids are full sounding and still have pretty much the same amount of detail and the highs don't make me go deaf like the H-100.  Even though the BA200 sound better I still use the MH1C when I want a bit more bass but that might end when I get the Heir 3.Ai Monday.  I'm not going to sale these anytime soon if ever because for the $10 or $15 I might get for them just isn't worth it compared to how good they sound.

Thats a GREAT statement to make. I was looking up on T-Peos H-100 for a while, even though Im just satisfied for now with MH1C. Got 3 pairs, 1 for Gym, 1 for casual listening and 1 for backup :D These serve great for gym/running too, just need to use triple flanges on these+ shirt clip and they are up and ready, though needs some time to get used to it..

After some sessions of listening with My meelectronics a161p and MH1C, MH1C beats it too hands down, though A161p is just like having a pillow in my ear, its comfortable than all other IEMs Ive tried..though SQ wise MH1C wins by a lot, MH1C got better bass, mid-bass and almost as good as a161p mids and treble, a161p is a strong performer on mids and vocals though. Vocals are the only part I feel MH1C lag. Detailing is better on A161p but lacks the true bass depth or strength MH1C possess. Soundstage wise, both are on par. Though on Comfort, isolation part a161p is way ahead of MH1C. Both are great for their price though. A161P has got excellent accessories, stylish design, comfortable and isolates the best. Justifies more than its 100$ tag imo..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back