[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Nov 5, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #586 of 3,824
Quote:
The following has been added to the OP.
wink.gif

[UPDATE Nov. 6th, 2012]
Another blogger is calling me a shill (indirectly) and provided some measurement to prove his points. While I don't agree with him - for all fairness, please give it a read as well: LINK.

So what ? I've heard so many overpriced crap and those facts are not going to change my mind on those little IEMs, they sound great and that's the most important.

BTW, covering the vent IMO works great to fix the bass problem.

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #587 of 3,824
Only thing that stands true in that guys assesment to me is that a shallow insertation definetley sounds better to me.  Affiliate link def doesnt seem right, not only has clieos shown his impartiality over many years as well as accuracey but the thought of sony forking out the bucks to push out such a cheap product that they have already sold off en bulk to others is a bit far fetched.

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #588 of 3,824
All I can say about that is. It cost me $20 and beat the tard out of so many. I have yet to see someone here complain about what they are hearing. The proof is in the product. I have been called all sorts of names myself. If an outstanding product like this one don't deserve an audience with headfiers then what does is my point.

great thought. 

Nov 5, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #592 of 3,824
does MH1C change with burn in?

yes, very much! to my ears the already excellent bass gets tamed and the overall clarity gets better .. 

Nov 5, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #593 of 3,824
Regarding the Sony MH1Cs HOLY MACKEREL!!!!  DAT REFINEMENT has finally broken through. It is godly tuned.

Wrote this rant on Dsnuts' discovery thread:

Quote:
No these sound fantastic. I am listening to them on my newly acquired bravo ocean tube amp hooked up to a clip of all sources..These have a very similar tuning to a much higher end XBA-3. That in of itself is worthy of purchasing..They have been on the burn for the almost 50 hours now and I have to say. I am mighty impressed by how they sound. These seem to scale well with more powerful sources. You would not expect this level of sound from these.

I remembered on first listen without burn. I was like. That ClieOS must be smoking something. lol!

For all you people that don't think "burn-in" is the real deal, you need to get a pair of these Sony MH1Cs with raw drivers as Dsnuts and I did, and you're gonna shut up for the rest of your life, nuff' said. I documented on Dsnuts' discovery thread that my initial impressions of these were similar to bass cannons with tiny highs and mids on open box. But after 3 and a half days of burning them in on full blast, only listening to them for short periods in between, these has finally turned into sonic diamonds and deserves Dsnuts golden nuts trophy.  I am finally hearing what ALL of you are raving about, MY GOD THESE ARE RAWWWWWW!!!

I was showing off this cheapo to my cousins and asked the one has some pricier cans and thinks he knows a lot about sound, how much would he pay for what he was hearing from these MH1Cs and he told me this thing is worth $20 dollars. I was like LoL, yeppp i DID pay $20 for them but told him that these are similar/ close to sony's $300 XBA3s in sound for this little. haha He was a bit skeptical cuz yesterday afternoon these still sounded like heavy end bass cannons with mids/ highs heavily veiled. So I give him props for saying what he felt/ heard cuz these sounded ehhhh to say the least NOT so impressive yesterday (he also hates bass heavy headphones/ IEMs, it give him a headache, so it makes sense LoL)

Anywho I was kinda starting to have doubts, thinking that man these fools on head-fi must be trippin' cuz my set of MH1Cs sure don't sound that "refined" or masterfully tuned even after a couple days of heavy burn-in, let alone come close to the sound of sony's XBA 3s. So I was like damn it, these things can never come close to the refinement and clarity of my JVC S500s or my FXD70s so I tossed them on the burner again to burn them to hell, cuz I didn't really care anymore. Thank god, my curiosity got of the best of me and after a full night of further burn-in on max volume, I gave them another listen, WOW I was like these sound soooo much more clear and balanced now. The bass end is really tight and deep, while the mids and the highs are finally shining through. I can finally hear what all of you'll have been raving about for the pass week, the entire sound spectrum is so refined on these BUT with really great/ fun bass MY GOD $20 for this is crazy. I am getting scared, cuz these might top my FXD70s. 

/rant.

P.S Thanks Dsnuts for the heads up, but after a couple of days of burning in without a huge leap in sound, I was kinda losing faith haha, thank god you were right on the money. Oh and a BIG thanks to ClieOS for this amazing discovery, sonic diamonds they truly are.  
beerchug.gif

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #594 of 3,824
It looks like hype and nonsense crowd have certainly taken over. I'm always amazed at how easily influenced people are, and how hearing is so psychologically influenced.

These are good earphones, I think I had the first review after ClieOS and I like them. But some of these claims, BS about 'burn in,' etc... It just completely undermines any objective and accurate reviews/impressions.

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #595 of 3,824
So late last week I send a message to Brian of BTG audio, and asked him about doing a recable or a mod of my MH1C's.

Late yesterday he responded, and declined, saying he did not have a mod for them, and based on the pics he saw it would be difficult.

So, I offered to be the guinea pig, and send him a set to see what he can do.

He agreed, so I am going to send Brian a MH1C, and see what he can do with them.

To be cont...

Randy

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #596 of 3,824
Quote:
These are good earphones, I think I had the first review after ClieOS and I like them. But some of these claims, BS about 'burn in,' etc... It just completely undermines any objective and accurate reviews/impressions.

Seems like quite the raging debate. I personally would be happy if I didn't believe in burn-in - it's a pita. But I guess I belong to that crowd, because most of the iem's I have had definitely improved with burn in (jvc fx40's, brainwavz r1's, jvc fxd70's). If it was just psychological, then I'm a mad hatter. The xba3's however sound great without any burn in (although I wouldn't be surprised if even they don't improve).

Edit: Btw, I don't know why you couldn't have just stated your opinion without having to denigrate people.

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #597 of 3,824
Quote:
So late last week I send a message to Brian of BTG audio, and asked him about doing a recable or a mod of my MH1C's.

Late yesterday he responded, and declined, saying he did not have a mod for them, and based on the pics he saw it would be difficult.

So, I offered to be the guinea pig, and send him a set to see what he can do.

He agreed, so I am going to send Brian a MH1C, and see what he can do with them.

To be cont...

Randy

sorry for coming late to the show, 
but are you planning to just have removable cabling ? or get custom aftermarkets?

hint: SPC ?

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #598 of 3,824
Quote:
It looks like hype and nonsense crowd have certainly taken over. I'm always amazed at how easily influenced people are, and how hearing is so psychologically influenced.

Ok man, you have the right to express your opinions but I heard what I heard, and burning these in changed the sound drastically. No need to be all condescending and used terms like "BS", etc. You were probably some of the lucky ones that got a set that didn't have raw drivers in them, and many have reported that these sounded amazing out of the box, but not for me. I was pretty underwhelmed by what I heard on open "bag" in this case, and I documented my impressions on Dsnuts' discovery thread a couple of days back.

I am just documenting my personal experience from the initial listening to what I am hearing now, no hype no bull. Just stating how I am hearing them, and I already read all the positive reviews before I got them but I was still sadly disappointed by how it sounded on open box. But burning them in really has made their sound much much more refined especially taming down the big boomy bass end, while opening up the mids and the highs up. It had a really congested/ boxy sound before but now has became more clear and airy.  

Hey, i am glad you are liking these as well, but if I was "easily influenced" and how it is all "psychological" then I should have been blown away by these on open box as you probably were because I have already read so many glowing reviews of these on this thread and elsewhere, your review included??? BUT sadly I was not. It is alright that you think "burn in" is all bull but for me it has drastically improved the sound of these MH1Cs. If you get a pair of these with raw drivers as Dsnuts and I did you will understand. But you were the numerous lucky ones that probably got a great sounding set on open bag. So good for you.
beerchug.gif

Nov 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #599 of 3,824
Quote:

I agree with you for the most part. We severely underestimate how hearing is psychologically influenced. But that doesn't mean we have to nullify the value of burn-in. Even if actual physical change in headphones is minimal (which it is), it doesn't really matter if we perceive the difference to be bigger and as a result enjoy it more. This is true not only in headphones but for everything else around us. Our reality is based on how we perceive things, not necessarily on the things themselves.

So even though I know physical burn in isn't real, I'm not going to knock anyone who perceives a huge change with burn-in. There are people who enjoyed the MH1 upon delivery while other people didn't care for them much until they were "burned in". So be it. I don't get why people get so heated over this.

Nov 5, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #600 of 3,824
There is a huge hype in these boys. How do y'all say it compares to the sennheiser ie8 ? I know the price is worlds apart but was just trying to get an idea of how these compare to them. Compare to the tf10 or gr07? I have the ie80 atm but I am considering of returning cuz I just can't find the right seal. It doesn't seal to well for me, and the bass is a bit overpowering to my taste. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back