[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Nov 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #406 of 3,824
Man. Finally got them.
Whoever said these WANT a little juice wasn't kidding.
Too bad I don't have an amp on me at the moment.

I can definitely hear the potential though.
One problem I have. With a proper seal I feel like treble is begging to be let out.
If I push them in deeper, the treble is sooooo clear and crispy but that shuts off everything else.
Return back to normal and everything else is great while the treble is once again tamed and begging to get out of its cage.

Is it just my ears? Or my seal isn't quite perfect?

Either way.
Looking forward to the sound after burn in.

Nov 1, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #407 of 3,824
Quote:
Man. Finally got them.
Whoever said these WANT a little juice wasn't kidding.
Too bad I don't have an amp on me at the moment.
I can definitely hear the potential though.
One problem I have. With a proper seal I feel like treble is begging to be let out.
If I push them in deeper, the treble is sooooo clear and crispy but that shuts off everything else.
Return back to normal and everything else is great while the treble is once again tamed and begging to get out of its cage.
Is it just my ears? Or my seal isn't quite perfect?
Either way.
Looking forward to the sound after burn in.

No, it's probably not your ears  - that's what the amp is for  - to let the treble out of its cage

Nov 1, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #408 of 3,824
Order placed on a whim after reading this thread. My current IEM are the Brainwavz M4, which I have grown to like quite a bit.  I was planning on picking up the SE215's over the black friday period.
How do you think these will compare to these 2? I have a galaxy S-3, so from what I've read these are fully compatible.

Ps - Thank (and damn) you Hi-fi !
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #410 of 3,824
Wow, this thread has exploded since the last time I saw it.

Anyway, after a burn in (useful?) I've given these a listen. There was something wrong with the ones I heard before (a fake/broken), because these iem's sound quality is top draw. In fact it's hard to listen to them and not be impressed no matter how high end one's other headphones are. I mean- What do they do wrong? I seriously don't know, and I'm not exaggerating. No, I'm not coping out of giving a full review either. It's a very very balanced IEM without any notable exaggeration at the bottom or top. Great detail, decent soundstage, awesome weight to notes, no peaks, terrific extension........  

These are absolutely fantastic IEM's..........or is it.........let's cut to the chase:

a) The wire sucks bad

b) They can only be worn cord down

The wire is microphonic which normally won't be a problem if it allowed one to wear it over ear. As the left wire is shorter than the right (part of the microphone design) you're stuck with cord down, and I find it tough to keep them in like this. Microphonics make it quite objectionable to use for me. I think it's a fantastic IEM nevertheless.
There must be another sony IEM sharing the same drivers/sound as these that is of better build......anyone???? 

Nov 1, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #411 of 3,824
Quote:
Wow, this thread has exploded since the last time I saw it.

Anyway, after a burn in (useful?) I've given these a listen. There was something wrong with the ones I heard before (a fake/broken), because these iem's sound quality is top draw. In fact it's hard to listen to them and not be impressed no matter how high end one's other headphones are. I mean- What do they do wrong? I seriously don't know, and I'm not exaggerating. No, I'm not coping out of giving a full review either. It's a very very balanced IEM without any notable exaggeration at the bottom or top. Great detail, decent soundstage, awesome weight to notes, no peaks, terrific extension........  

These are absolutely fantastic IEM's..........or is it.........let's cut to the chase:

a) The wire sucks bad

b) They can only be worn cord down

The wire is microphonic which normally won't be a problem if it allowed one to wear it over ear. As the left wire is shorter than the right (part of the microphone design) you're stuck with cord down, and I find it tough to keep them in like this. Microphonics make it quite objectionable to use for me. I think it's a fantastic IEM nevertheless.
There must be another sony IEM sharing the same drivers/sound as these that is of better build......anyone???? 

I heard it's the XBA-3.
Ordered one after hearing the MH1c.

Nov 1, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #412 of 3,824
The XBA-3 is like the TF10's step brother, its sounds a lot like the TF10 but just not quite as good.  I don't know why Sony didn't use crossovers in their XBA line instead of individually tuning each driver. 

Anyway back on topic, is there an IEM you've heard that you can compare the MH1's soundstage to?

Nov 1, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #413 of 3,824
sorry for this but because I havent been paying specific attention to this question which im sure has been answered.

Which one, mh1 or mh1c works with the iphone 4 hp out?

Its for a friend, I have 3 pairs of the mh1c and one mh1 myself but i just use them with my sources, he specifically wants to use it with his phone but I dont think he cares about the controls.

Nov 1, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #414 of 3,824
Quote:
sorry for this but because I havent been paying specific attention to this question which im sure has been answered.

Which one, mh1 or mh1c works with the iphone 4 hp out?

Its for a friend, I have 3 pairs of the mh1c and one mh1 myself but i just use them with my sources, he specifically wants to use it with his phone but I dont think he cares about the controls.

The MH1C works with the iDevices 

Nov 1, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #418 of 3,824
[size=small]Got the MH1C about an hour ago.  Let's get the obvious gripe out of the way.. the cable sucks.  You'll rarely hear me complain or denigrate an IEM's cable.. even if it's widely shunned by the HF community.. I just haven't had issues with most cabled on IEMs.. at least not enough to comment on it.  This one deserves mention for being more annoying than flat out terrible (pun unintended).[/size]

[size=small]That being said..[/size]

[size=small]I can see why there's such enthusiasm for the phone.  The bass is impressive.  It's got a nice balance between speed, punch, and texture.  A little too much midbass, atm.. but ClieOS mentioned that would be the case, ootb.  Excellent extension, too.  The midrange is very smooth, vibrant, and engaging.  [/size][size=small]It's similar to the GR07 in that they both have a slightly dry, smooth texture.  Notes on the MH1C are thicker & dynamic.. while on the GR07, they're thinner & more detailed.[/size]
[size=small]  
People have complained about there not being enough treble.. I disagree.  Considering the tuning.. it makes sense to me how the treble is portrayed.  I'm not sure how you could increase treble (in a controlled, cohesive manner) w/o disturbing the balance of the midrange.  The MH1C's treble is positioned slighltly behind the mids.. but there's some air to it.  There's no chance the treble could ever become fatiguing, IMO.

It's got a pretty voracious appetite for power.. which I like.  Sounds fantastic with the UHA & my desktop rig (I can use plenty of the pot on both).  Hope the bass/midbass tightens cause that's my only glaring issue, atm.  If that tightens.. treble should gain some clarity and presence.

What both the GR07 & MH1C do well is present sound in a very inviting, easy-to-listen to manner.. even for a discerning audiophile.  For $20, these have no business sounding this good. NO business.  Arguably the best "$20 buy" in HeadFi history (trumping even the Koss KSC75?).  That being said, I think the GR07 MKII, at this point., is still better.  Off to burn in..
[/size]

Nov 1, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #420 of 3,824
Quote:
Ok so after about 120 hours controlled burn in I can access a few more things

Swapped the included tipos for the sony colored hybrids

- bass and sub bass have become huge. This makes sense as the membrane got loosen up too. Had to had to step down on the Neco V3 bass boost switch (I usually have it on because it´s very feeble and it ups the sound stage a lot). A bit more eq is in place too otherwise It will get boomy

- the treble and high treble range (cymbals etc) is clearly not high resolution but then again would´nt expect the perfect miracle. Nothing can be done here even if the eq is up on the  >16khz range

- mids for vocals, instruments etc have become the center stage of the sound in a good way

I will add in a bit more: after about 200 hours burning + walking them around town I see now they are bass monsters ! I was looking for one to ad to the collection now I don´t need to anymore ! lol
A/Bying with others it´s of course obvious they lack treble extension and resolution, but don´t all bass head iem´s at less than triple figures do ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back