[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Oct 31, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #361 of 3,824
Quote:
We should get real - the mh1c is a very very good good overall performer, especially for people on a budget. It is by no means better than the gr07 for instance aside from the isolation and the fact that I can use it for commuting without worrying that the rain or something else might ruin it. The GR04 flagship is also better in some areas as it provides a more intimate, smooth and relaxing sound

I would say the mh1c competes with the gr07 easily, and many others in or even above that price range.  Placebo on price vs performance can be hard for folk to swallow, and yes this is the crappest designed j-cord I have ever seen but at least the cable is sturdy, i see it lasting a long time.  They might though have some of my favourite tips of all time though, these create an immense seal on me.

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #362 of 3,824
So after a weekend of burn in and such, I'm still having trouble with the headphone randomly cutting in/out while listening on my iPod. Sony V6's are presenting no such problem. I have not tried using the headphones on another device yet.

Anyone else having similar problems?

Just a thought, have you tried them in a different source?

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #363 of 3,824
Well mine shipped at 1 today so I hopefully will have them on Saturday, I'm getting quite anxious to hear these now after all that's been said about them and I hope they live up to it all.  Time to get ready to take my niece and nephew trick or treating so happy Halloween to everyone.

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #365 of 3,824
Quote:
I would say the mh1c competes with the gr07 easily, and many others in or even above that price range.  Placebo on price vs performance can be hard for folk to swallow, and yes this is the crappest designed j-cord I have ever seen but at least the cable is sturdy, i see it lasting a long time.  They might though have some of my favourite tips of all time though, these create an immense seal on me.

Well, you're preaching to the choir. You misunderstood me - I only said it's not better than the gr07 I never said the gr07 is a lot better or anything like that. It comes close to it but the highs are slightly lacking and the bass is slighly slow. I already said in all threads mentioning the mh1c that it's insanely good. It does have some issues though - first, the cable which is not only flat and microphonic but also asymmertical; second, while the gr07 needs pretty much the same amount of power, it doesn't necessary need an amp or a really good source to shine while the mh1c scales immensely when amped but not all people have amps and using one on a phone makes the badly placed mic and controls useless and unnecesary burden. So when proprly driven the mh1c can easily compete with a lot of more expensive iems but aside from people like us here on head-fi the other buyers on a budget looking for a good cheap pair of iems or a headset won't be getting the same performance using cheap DAPs or the android smarphones this headset has been made for - even when pushing them to the limits.

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #367 of 3,824
Quote:
 So when proprly driven the mh1c can easily compete with a lot of more expensive iems but aside from people like us here on head-fi the other buyers on a budget looking for a good cheap pair of iems or a headset won't be getting the same performance using cheap DAPs or the android smarphones this headset has been made for - even when pushing them to the limits.

I have to disagree. The MH1C sounds equally stunning right out my iphone.

Ok, I need to stop before I start sounding like a shill and write one of these

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #369 of 3,824
Quote:

I have to disagree. The MH1C sounds equally stunning right out my iphone.

Ok, I need to stop before I start sounding like a shill and write one of these

Again I'm being misunderstood - I said android phones, which 99% have like 4-6mW per channel and a high output impedance on top of that. It's a fact that this sony needs a lot of power and most people will be using pre-amp and volume boost apps to get it to the volume to a decent level.Actually, right now I'm listening with my mh1c to Florence and the Machine through my C3+E11 and I might write one of these.

Oct 31, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #370 of 3,824
Ordered mine from Amazon yesterday at 2pm, they arrived today.  They really are fun, lively sounding iem's, and great for the price.  I hardly ever use iem's, so was looking for a good quality pair for cheap.  Have some RE0's that are getting old, these are much more enjoyable to listen to, and fairly balanced.  The cord is horrible.

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #371 of 3,824
Quote:
Again I'm being misunderstood - I said android phones, which 99% have like 4-6mW per channel and a high output impedance on top of that. It's a fact that this sony needs a lot of power and most people will be using pre-amp and volume boost apps to get it to the volume to a decent level.Actually, right now I'm listening with my mh1c to Florence and the Machine through my C3+E11 and I might write one of these.

Aaah, ok.

Make sure it's at least 2,000 words. That's how many you need to give these things justice :)

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #372 of 3,824
Just read the article by the engineer.
If anyone has ever taken a look at the FR graph that comes with the Unique Melody Merlin, it is very very similar to the target of the MH1C.
I am no longer surprised at the quality people are claiming.

Now I just have to prepare for the bliss I will hear tomorrow when mine arrive.

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #373 of 3,824
Quote:
So after a weekend of burn in and such, I'm still having trouble with the headphone randomly cutting in/out while listening on my iPod. Sony V6's are presenting no such problem. I have not tried using the headphones on another device yet.

Anyone else having similar problems?

Quote:
I get this on one side, haven't decided if I want to try to return them for this problem on not yet.
I still get sound, but the level goes down, and all the high end goes away.

Quote:
Actually the left piece on my mh1c has developed a small issue today - at first when I plugged them an hour ago I thought it was channel imbalance but is more like the left pice is super lazy and needs like 3 seconds after the music has started to catch on with its left buddy

Don't know if that's what you're experiencing, but there are several negative reviews that mention volume issues (mainly related to cold weather) on Amazon Germany (Warning: Google translate).

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #374 of 3,824
Quote:

Don't know if that's what you're experiencing, but there are several negative reviews that mention volume issues (mainly related to cold weather) on Amazon Germany (Warning: Google translate).

Well, I've been using the mh1c at home since I got it, so can't say its the cold weather. It's pretty strange - the left piece that cuts out sometimes when I put it in my ear is the one that gives this squeaky sound occasionally. I don't know if its some very strange driver flex or whether the canle is cutting out as I moved it around and seems find. It's really weird but I'm too lazy to even bother sending it back for a replacement as it will cost me like half of what the mh1 costs and I'll have to wait at least 2 weeks - I will probably order a new one tomorrow and see how it goes. 

Btw, I was messing with some tips again and the gr07's foam tips that I hated before on the gr07 do a pretty good job with the mh1. I cut them shorter, so the foam is flush with its core and the fit is just great - both on the nozzle and in my ear. They do affect the highs slightly but overall they do a way better job than the comply and the olives I tried

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #375 of 3,824
Quote:
Well, I've been using the mh1c at home since I got it, so can't say its the cold weather. It's pretty strange - the left piece that cuts out sometimes when I put it in my ear is the one that gives this squeaky sound occasionally. I don't know if its some very strange driver flex or whether the canle is cutting out as I moved it around and seems find. It's really weird but I'm too lazy to even bother sending it back for a replacement as it will cost me like half of what the mh1 costs and I'll have to wait at least 2 weeks - I will probably order a new one tomorrow and see how it goes. 

Btw, I was messing with some tips again and the gr07's foam tips that I hated before on the gr07 do a pretty good job with the mh1. I cut them shorter, so the foam is flush with its core and the fit is just great - both on the nozzle and in my ear. They do affect the highs slightly but overall they do a lot way better job than the comply and the olives I tried

Hmm. Do you have this problem with sealed phones? I have to get creative to avoid vacuum seals with earphones that aren't vented. It sounds like there's a change in pressure when you move them. I have this problem especially in my left ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back