[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Jul 29, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #3,766 of 3,824
Man, this is desperately quiet in here, nobody rocking the MH1 anymore?
I for one have yet to find as good a sound for as little money...

Come on people, show your love!

Jul 30, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #3,767 of 3,824

I just found MH1 in 2020, I saw it from Austrian reviewer, Oluv's Gadget, he liked it so much that it made me curious. After trying MH1 I was no longer looking for another IEM. Sound is very natural.

Aug 13, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #3,769 of 3,824
I haven't listened to my MH1C in a while - I loved it, but have since moved onto some other wired IEMs. My only Bluetooth pair however is the Sony SBH80. Tuned by the same engineer as the MH1C- slightly bassier, but a great pair. I love them.

Nov 9, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #3,771 of 3,824
Hi guys,
In case anyone else is losing his mind about the sound signature of this set, there are two versions of the MH1(don't know about the MH1C).
One with stronger bass and tamed highs and one with tamed bass and strong highs.
Both sound good.
So when someone said the highs are on the lower side while another said that it's
the opposite for him, they were both right.
I thought I was crazy. I bought 3 pairs in the course of a few years, all three with strong highs. All the while almost everyone saying that they have strong bass and soft highs.
Forgot to mention. Today i bought a new pair and it behaves as per the standard reviews so that's why i know there are two versions.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #3,772 of 3,824
IMO MH1 (sony Erikson logo on the bud) and MH1C (sony marking) have similar sound signature. MH1C has more lows, make it appear as though it has less highs.
In any case I would be hard pressed to describe MH1 as treble heavy, its still a bit rolled of and smooth, but still natural. MH1C is a bit too much bass for me but fun to listen to!
All IMHO and YMMV of course

Nov 9, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #3,773 of 3,824
I have three pairs of MH1. All three sound the same, very bright. People complained that these iems need amping. Well I cant listen to these at max volume on my android phone. An amp would rip my eardrum.
But the other MH1 I bought today is different. Same model, looks identical, but sound different. Stronger bass and less highs.
I never found an MH1C version so I don't know if there are any differences.

Nov 9, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #3,774 of 3,824
I have three pairs of MH1. All three sound the same, very bright. People complained that these iems need amping. Well I cant listen to these at max volume on my android phone. An amp would rip my eardrum.
But the other MH1 I bought today is different. Same model, looks identical, but sound different. Stronger bass and less highs.
I never found an MH1C version so I don't know if there are any differences.
Very bright is never how I heard them or seen them reviewed. Maybe fakes?

Nov 9, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #3,775 of 3,824

Me! After spending quite a bit of time with them I feel that it's time I do a write up about them.

I got into personal audio way back when Sony Ericsson was still a thing and I bought my first phone which turned out to be my first dap, which is the w550i. Fun times when phones aren't just a slab of sandwiched glass and is an extension of your personality. And this were the iems that came with it:
1604950726720.png

To me, they sounded awesome and they gave me an idea of what my collection of songs sound like and the type of sound I came to enjoy. But alas, the romance died when one side crapped out and I accepted it as part and parcel of life, moved on to other things in life but with fond memories that I still keep till today.

Fast forward to recent times when I became and adult and had disposable income to spare, and I took the nostalgic trip back in time to revisit some of the things I enjoyed growing up and with that my journey to audiophilia began.

The MH1C came into the picture a few years ago when I was educating myself about stuff like sound signatures, impedance matching, etc. At that time I already had some technically good iems but they have a different sound signature to my default preferance and i wanted to test the theory that an iem with an agreeable tuning or sound signature will subjectively beat a more technically proficient iem with a 'dull/boring/lifeless' sound signature, with price point not taken into consideration and that's where I came across write ups regarding the mh755 and MH1C. Without auditioning and based purely on online reviews and graphs, I had assumed that they fit my criterias, as they are basically consumer earpieces that came free with the mobile phones, were from the same era as my old walkman phone, had a consumer friendly warm and v shaped sound signature, hard to come across now but still don't cost an arm or a leg, and coincidentally came from the same audio company that captured my attention all those years ago. So basically, the sound that I was accustomed to growing up.

What I realized that with age also comes different forms of expectations. Maybe it was my very first experience with iems back then, akin to your very first high school crush. Maybe I became picky with age. Maybe my tastes had changed without me consciously knowing. Could be any number of other reasons as well. But i think you can see where this is going.

I am in no way saying that they sound like trash or that's what to be expected of things you get for free. I'd pick these over any of apple's earbuds/airbuds/airpod pro any day of the week. Send them to a rewiring guy to replace the cables with decent ones with a 3.5mm straight jack, cuz i think right angle jacks don't go well with lightning/usb-c dongles, or maybe with a mic and 3 button control if you can find one, plug them into your 'lowly' apple or usb-c dongle, stream some music through spotify and watch your friends who've only listen to apple earpods all their lives light up. That's exactly my reaction going from random earbuds that came free with discmans to the iems that came with my first walkman phone. But alas, at the time of writing, I am unfortunately not them.

Tl;dr,
I like them, just not the same way I used to. Would I throw them or give them away? No, as they represent a critical point in time, akin to a save point, where I can always revisit whenever I choose to.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #3,776 of 3,824
Very bright is never how I heard them or seen them reviewed. Maybe fakes?
As far as i read, there were no fakes to this model. And they sound very good. The bass is ok but the lows are kind of quiet so the timbre is cold.
Also, I bought them from different places (different cities) and like more than a year in between.
I won't insist too much on this. Maybe there was a batch tuned differently. I just wanted to share this. Maybe there are other people out there getting this version and scratching their heads reading reviews :D
One more thing. The ones I bought today sound the same as far as the sound quality goes. It's just as if someone played with the eq. adding some dbs in the bass and lowering a few dbs in the highs. So i am 100% sure i don't have fakes.
Edit: Randomly scrolling through this thread, at page 94 a guy Tungster noticed (in 2012) the same variation. Seems like there is a difference between the filters put inside the nozzle. I was thinking about this as well, as i know from experience that, when you stuff foam inside the nozzle, you tame the highs and make the bass more boomy. And this is how many ppl described these iems. With nice bass but a bit boomy and with mellow highs. If you reduce the tunning foam (or whatever is inside) you probably end up with what i am hearing in the other MH1s.
Well, seems like my discovery was not that new afterall.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #3,777 of 3,824
I found this equalizer APO preset from Etymotic ER4 thread. It's made by John Yang (people who designing Topping product also same John Yang that Oluv's Gadget trusting in his IEM recommendation). He said, it's make MH1/MH1C sounding like Etymotic ER4S. Let's trying!

Attachments

• mh1_to_er4.txt
    297 bytes · Views: 0
Feb 25, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #3,778 of 3,824
I got my MMCX modded MH1 from ebay today and they just sound amazing through the BTR5... Thanks Oluv! :)

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #3,779 of 3,824
I'm interested in rinchoi mod, once the rear vent(on the transducer) is completely blocked with little lowpass the frequency response is become very linear close to Etymotic ER-4.

I'm interested in rinchoi mod, once the rear vent(on the transducer) is completely blocked with little lowpass the frequency response is become very linear close to Etymotic ER-4.
what material is used to blocking the rear vent?

Mar 22, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #3,780 of 3,824
Finally a MH1C that won't drop out of my ears 😂 Was my favourite IEM when it was a big hit around here but the cable killed me. Finally found someone who sells modded MMCX MH1C. Testing with my Tin T2 cable. This somehow sound less bassy and more balanced than my original one. Mesh looks different too. Sounds real good tho 🤷 any other cable to recommend?

2021-03-22-061034261.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back