[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Sep 14, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #3,586 of 3,824
MH1 had long stopped production, and as far as I know, Sead already leaves Sony some time ago. One of his last project is the SBH-80 and that's probably the last continuation of MH1 tuning

Sep 14, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #3,588 of 3,824
I've recently bought MH1c locally for something like 15USD. Comparing it to KZ ZS5, there is no competition in my opinion. While these 2 might be side steps, MH1 is miles ahead when it comes to natural and realistic sound, but loses on technicalities like soundstage and clarity. I think most would and should prefer MH1. I was so surprised to learn how long ago this IEM was manufactured and how amazing it is in the budget segment to this day. It is a mystery why Sony decided to stop making these and not include a pair with every smartphone. Perhaps they would've changed cables if they were still in production :disappointed:

Sep 14, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #3,589 of 3,824
I've recently bought MH1c locally for something like 15USD. Comparing it to KZ ZS5, there is no competition in my opinion. While these 2 might be side steps, MH1 is miles ahead when it comes to natural and realistic sound, but loses on technicalities like soundstage and clarity. I think most would and should prefer MH1. I was so surprised to learn how long ago this IEM was manufactured and how amazing it is in the budget segment to this day. It is a mystery why Sony decided to stop making these and not include a pair with every smartphone. Perhaps they would've changed cables if they were still in production :disappointed:

Very interesting comparison :)

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #3,593 of 3,824
Didn't know ED9 sounded similar...

Nah forget everything that I said about the ED9 vs MH1C, I was in my 'honeymoon' phase when I wrote that LOL. They actually sound pretty different and have entirely different tonalities. I think the reason why I said they sounded similar was because they both had similar mids (smooth and neutral) and very detailed highs, though the ED9 highs are much more piercing/sibilant.

The Xiaomi Piston 2.0s are way more similar to the ED9 than the MH1C come to think about it.

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #3,594 of 3,824
some reviews say they're too bassy... we really have different perceptions...

After doing that foam mod they do get pretty damn bassy in the mid-bass.

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #3,595 of 3,824
Well they made millions since it's still available on ebay, so they will end eventually :frowning2:

Well now you got me thinking of buying my third pair (my two pairs broke) just in case if all sellers run out of stock :sweat_smile:

Nov 27, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #3,596 of 3,824
Exactly the way i feel about mh1c.i had mh1c and indeed they were excellent...way more balanced and refined than kz models.to my bad luck i misplaced them,never to be found again. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #3,598 of 3,824
These are still available for £15 on Amazon.co.uk after all these years. Similar price to what I paid nearly five years ago I think.

Always sounded pretty good to me but truly terrible design before function cable . I wear them down in a Y type arrangement as oposed to round neck J, using the shirt clip to take up the excess cable on the longer side. This helps a bit.

Still good value

Feb 1, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #3,600 of 3,824
are they better than mh750 that come out of the box with sony smartphones?

I prefer the MH750 though - the MH1C cable is just horrendous. Thickest and stiffest cable I've had. Get the legit MH750, the fake one sounds like a dirty mess - overly bassy and muddy, and the legit MH750 has similar sound characteristic like the MH1C.

Note: if the MH750 is dirt cheap like 5 dollars, 80% likely they will be fake, hell I bought two of those. The real one costs 15 dollars and it has black filters instead of a white-dot-over-black filter. Tried to remove the filter from the fake ones and it didn't do any good....not even burn-in with heavy white noises/pink noise to rid the dirty bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back