[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Feb 14, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #3,616 of 3,824
I'm not the best person to ask. If your Sony is a Z, X or XZ series that has built in noise cancelling I can certainly recommend the Sony MDR NC31 which is often available cheaply. Very surprisingly excellent in tone, clarity and warm balance with noise cacancelling as a a bonus. Otherwise maybe the similar MH EX300ap might be worth a punt

(My main earphones I've used for the past 5 years are Musical Fidelitys but they are no longer available. They are perfection to me and I've given up on finding anything better) SORRY

Feb 14, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #3,617 of 3,824
the mh1 differ from the mh1c is that the mh1 has more accurate bass. the phone or device you have depends on whether they work right out of the box. the easiest fix is a zip tie. no joke. i have one I'm selling that has a zip tie holding down the mic button which corrects the grounding and thus fixes the audio on the opposite cell phone standard.

you can rewire them too, but that is a cheap fix. or just soldering the grounds differently on thre remote. anyway. i have two for sale. i csn easipy remove the zip tie to revert it to normal if needed.

Feb 14, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #3,620 of 3,824
why doesn't it work with every phone? is not a 3.5mm port?

it is a normal headphone, but any headphone with a remote control and microphone will either work for omtp or ctia cell phone port standard. if it doesn't work on your specific cell phone you need to basically just swap the connection with an adapter or manually solder it or hold the mic button down which essentially swaps the connection.

on the opposite cell phone jack type the audio will sound inverted. once you do any of the above it reverts to normal.

Feb 15, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #3,621 of 3,824
thats really dumb. why would anyone need an adapter for regular earphones?

Hey Aertus, thanks for the reply but the reason why I asked the question was that the MH1 doesn't work properly with the HTC 10. When you put the headphone in you get incorrect sound. I later found out that it was because of incompatibility something to do with TRRS standards MH1 and HTC10 use different standards. You hear the music but it is very tinny like a bad HALL effect.

That's why I was asking if there is some sort of adaptor that would let you use headphones designed for a different headphone jack standard. Sorry if I didn't explain that properly lol

Heres an article on more of what I mean:

http://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

Feb 15, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #3,622 of 3,824
Feb 15, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #3,623 of 3,824
Hey Aertus, thanks for the reply but the reason why I asked the question was that the MH1 doesn't work properly with the HTC 10. When you put the headphone in you get incorrect sound. I later found out that it was because of incompatibility something to do with TRRS standards MH1 and HTC10 use different standards. You hear the music but it is very tinny like a bad HALL effect.

That's why I was asking if there is some sort of adaptor that would let you use headphones designed for a different headphone jack standard. Sorry if I didn't explain that properly lol

Heres an article on more of what I mean:

http://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

Yes. Something like this will work. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U1SSPP...Kx&pd_rd_r=R37HA9T3XN2VRAMJJ2NG&pd_rd_w=mJ5hI

or you can hold down the microphone button :p specifically with a zip tie :wink:

Feb 27, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #3,624 of 3,824
just received the mh1c. They seem pretty legit i got them from a UK vendor.

i compared them to my recently purchased sennheiser CX300 II and i think they are both pretty similar. i think the bass is punchier and more precise by a little bit on the CX300 II but I think they are really close. I also think the sennheisers fit better in my ears and are more comfortable but otherwise I'd say they are fairly close. I think i like the senns slightly more though.

both good purchases otherwise.

Feb 27, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #3,627 of 3,824
Almost 5.5yrs have passed since I wrote the review on MH1(c) and still there are still followers around this thread. I am just tossing the idea around - but what do you guys think about an updated MH1 with mostly the same tuning philosophy and without the flat cable? Anything else you guys think that can be or need to be improved on it, such as a more smartphone compatible mic+remote, lightning/type-c connector, or removable cable, etc?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #3,628 of 3,824
Almost 5.5yrs have passed since I wrote the review on MH1(c) and still there are still followers around this thread. I am just tossing the idea around - but what do you guys think about an updated MH1 with mostly the same tuning philosophy and without the flat cable? Anything else you guys think that can be or need to be improved on it, such as a more smartphone compatible mic+remote, lightning/type-c connector, or removable cable, etc?

do you mean you will be modifying them? or via the engineer himself making a new model?

Feb 27, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #3,629 of 3,824
do you mean you will be modifying them? or via the engineer himself making a new model?

No real answer that I can tell you atm.

Feb 27, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #3,630 of 3,824
For me get rid of the flat cable and have a Y cable and not a J. If there are to be controls have them below the Y. Anything else is daft.

I love the sound of them, but was never able to wear them. Apart from the cable the housing is too far out, with the cable at the end so it will always drag them out of my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back