[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Aug 11, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #3,301 of 3,824
And silly me thought you are dismissing our beloved MH1  
tongue.gif

Aug 11, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #3,305 of 3,824

I can ship anywhere, but you need to pay the shipping. I don't know about germany, but shipping to the uk was insane.

i will think about it, when u decide to put one on sale.

I'm trying to figure out cheaper shipping right now. I'll get back later.

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #3,307 of 3,824
I have been playing around with MH-1s recabled in balanced mode on my Puredac....simply outstanding!

I have also recabled 2 sets with Apple remote cables very successfully...

Sep 5, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #3,309 of 3,824
Hello,
Is there a possible way to hole back the sealed vent of the mh1? For months, now I have to agree that mh1 sound has became grainier and somewhat sibilant altho the bass been reduced. I miss the smooth treble of the old mh1 before it got recabled by zmf :frowning2:

Sep 5, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #3,310 of 3,824
Hello,
Is there a possible way to hole back the sealed vent of the mh1? For months, now I have to agree that mh1 sound has became grainier and somewhat sibilant altho the bass been reduced. I miss the smooth treble of the old mh1 before it got recabled by zmf :frowning2:

Yes you can poke a hole with a safety pin right where the original bass vent is located.

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #3,314 of 3,824
How do they compare to Xiaomi Piston 2 ?

The Piston 2 features enhanced bass, delivering both good extension and strong mid-bass presence. It is similar to the Sony MH1C and the pricier RHA MA750 in overall bass quantity, though both of those place a bit less weight on mid-bass. The extra mid-bass emphasis of the Piston 2 – which still pales in comparison to that of the original Piston – gives it a very visceral punch. When comparing the Piston 2 to higher-end earphones, it can be hard to get over the difference in bass control, but against similarly-priced sets it continuously impresses.

The bass of the Piston 2 grants it a warm tone and full-bodied sound. Overall, while the Piston 2 is a v-shaped earphone, the fullness prevents its midrange from sounding overly recessed. Clarity is good considering the bass quantity – even earphones with significantly more forward mids, such as the Fidue A63 and T-Peos D200R, don’t have a clarity advantage over the Piston 2. The only ones that do are brighter, thinner (and also harsher)-sounding sets with more recessed lower mids, for example the Philips TX2, MOE-SS01, and T-Peos Rich200.

The Piston 2 is not your typical v-shaped earphone in one other way – its upper midrange and treble are surprisingly smooth and refined. The top end has some sparkle, but is still sufficiently forgiving. Maybe not as much as the Sony MH1C, Fidue A63, and HiFiMan RE-400, which all have more laid-back treble, but more than a $25 earphone should be. Tonally, the Piston 2 can’t even be called “bright”, though it does have a little more treble energy than the Sony MH1C. Ditto on the T-Peos D200R – the Piston 2 has more of both sparkle and upper treble presence, which gives it an airier sound.

Thanks to its ample treble presence and generally good clarity, the Piston 2 has a wide and open presentation. It is similar in soundstage size to the brighter-sounding MOE-SS01 and superior to sets such as the SteelSeries Flux and T-Peos D200R. At the same time, the presentation has good depth and is capable of sounding quite forward when necessary. The Sony MH1C, for example, has a pretty good soundstage but sounds consistently laid-back compared to the Piston 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back