[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Apr 8, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #3,048 of 3,824
I thought I'd share a pic of my Sony HPM-78. It was the predecessor to the MH1. It has a little less bass but sounds very similar overall.

Interesting! Looks like you got those recabled as well. Was it ZMF? Do you think it's in the same league as the MH1?

Also a couple more pics:

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #3,049 of 3,824
I haven't yet compared directly a/b but I think it's in the same league. Perhaps bass is a tiny bit mushier sounding, even though there is less of it, but mids and treble sound spot on.

Zach didn't do this one. I had this one in the works before I ran across ZMF.

Apr 9, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #3,050 of 3,824
The mh1c has the best tonal balance i've heard trough the mids and highs, almost all headphones / earphones i tried had some kind of nasty spike in the upper mids / treble. Finally i got something good in that regard! Only big flaw is the bass quantity (i did cover the bass vents though), but bass and treble extension is quite good to my ears.

I like the mh1c so much that i ordered the mh1, i'm just a bit curious about the little differences between them. I really hope the mh1 has less bass emphasis like other people mentioned.

Apr 9, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #3,052 of 3,824
Is there a tutorial on opening the TRRS plug and switching the cables in there to achieve OMTP → CTIA modding?
Not possible from what i can tell. It is sort of molded or bonded, so you can't get it apart. You would need to splice the wires or replace the connector. For some reason there aren't many four pole diy connectors...

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #3,053 of 3,824
I'm posting my unfinished recable tutorial. I'll just update as soon as I can, but I wanted to know if people thought it was too much info, or if they prefer this sort of depth in a tutorial. Just let me know here or there or wherever. :p  I hope to finish it very soon, I've just been sick, busy, sick, busy and then some... 

http://handtokey.blogspot.com/2014/04/sony-mh1-re-cable-tutorial.html

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #3,055 of 3,824
  I have my work cut out for me now. Four mh1 to recable in different styles. :-o

^
get slavin' boi!!!
evil_smiley.gif

i have complete trust in your skittles, so just have fun with it and get destroying. hoho :wink:

Apr 12, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #3,056 of 3,824
so for the mahoney recables, are you tapping into the short leftover leads to the driver, or are you actually replacing right to the driver rears ( cuttin off and reattaching rears ). Sort of curious . I messed about with tapping in, but really I should try to get the driver hit directly, ( solder reflow method maybe ) heck I don't care if they get ruined or what they end up looking like ( liquid electrical tape will seal it all back up if i rip off the rears )it is a challenge

"git destroyin' " is right SF, it's what these are for yo!

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #3,057 of 3,824
  so for the mahoney recables, are you tapping into the short leftover leads to the driver, or are you actually replacing right to the driver rears ( cuttin off and reattaching rears ). Sort of curious . I messed about with tapping in, but really I should try to get the driver hit directly, ( solder reflow method maybe ) heck I don't care if they get ruined or what they end up looking like ( liquid electrical tape will seal it all back up if i rip off the rears )it is a challenge

"git destroyin' " is right SF, it's what these are for yo!

Hehe. I'm going to do one with the leftover leads like my first and then try for a super duper driver recable. I'm going to try and see if there is any way i can open them without damaging anything at all....

Apr 12, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #3,058 of 3,824

Hehe. I'm going to do one with the leftover leads like my first and then try for a super duper driver recable. I'm going to try and see if there is any way i can open them without damaging anything at all....

I see a heat gun in your future.:)

OTOH what I had not considered at the time, but now having vivisected them, might be to pop the back cap off and drill right through to the chamber housing the wires. If done CAREFULLY enough it might provide just enough room for a weller needle tip iron to get to the driver and the hole could be re sealed with just about any type of plastic plug.

Apr 12, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #3,059 of 3,824

I see a heat gun in your future.:)

OTOH what I had not considered at the time, but now having vivisected them, might be to pop the back cap off and drill right through to the chamber housing the wires. If done CAREFULLY enough it might provide just enough room for a weller needle tip iron to get to the driver and the hole could be re sealed with just about any type of plastic plug.

Those were my two thoughts exactly. I was going to try and melt the glue of the back section and open them. Otherwise, cutting through without damaging the stress relief at all would actually allow new wires to be run through the existing stress relief. We'll see how it goes...

Apr 12, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #3,060 of 3,824

Those were my two thoughts exactly. I was going to try and melt the glue of the back section and open them. Otherwise, cutting through without damaging the stress relief at all would actually allow new wires to be run through the existing stress relief. We'll see how it goes...

Yes there's gobs of room in that stress relief sleeve. Could probably get a massive gauge cable in there if properly motivated:)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back