[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Dec 8, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #2,747 of 3,824

Yes, absolutely.  I don't even mind the flat cable if you wear it properly.  I even wear it behind the ears.  However, the controls hanging are annoying to say the least.  That is the failing of the cable to me.  You could buy the ue900 cable and solder it to the mh1 cable near the housing.  That would give you a nice control cable that is designed a bit better.  Otherwise, for an alternative you want the Sony MH750.

The same engineer, Sead, worked on them and compares them as being very similar to the mh1.  Although, not as good they should sound similar with the changes he described being a bit darker and slightly less treble extension and details.  But the controls are in the middle of the cable lower...

post #211

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MH750-Stereo-Headset-Microphone/dp/B008MN8X7Y

Nice find, those actually don't look that much worse sonically. Probably benefits more from vent blocking to have a clearer lower midrange and can have it's treble improved via filter mod. 

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #2,748 of 3,824

... from a design standpoint this is actually pretty good, except in reality it doesn't work ...

I see a flaw in your logic. 

Haha. I just mean it was designed to put the mic next to your mouth for good pickup, and therefor well designed in that regard. However, this placement causes annoyance physically from the weight and hanging sensation, and thus poor design in reality...

Perfect logic! :wink:

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #2,749 of 3,824
: )

I know what you mean lol. 

I don't use mine with a phone so the mic is completely redundant. 

I looked up the review of those 750 and one comment complained about the stiff cable. Bit of a red flag to me know after these MH1c's. 

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #2,750 of 3,824

Yes, absolutely.  I don't even mind the flat cable if you wear it properly.  I even wear it behind the ears.  However, the controls hanging are annoying to say the least.  That is the failing of the cable to me.  You could buy the ue900 cable and solder it to the mh1 cable near the housing.  That would give you a nice control cable that is designed a bit better.  Otherwise, for an alternative you want the Sony MH750.

The same engineer, Sead, worked on them and compares them as being very similar to the mh1.  Although, not as good they should sound similar with the changes he described being a bit darker and slightly less treble extension and details.  But the controls are in the middle of the cable lower...

post #211

Thanks for the tip but the reviews on http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Ericsson-MH750-Headset-Stereo/dp/B007M0IXLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386539981&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+mh750 mention that it has an annoying cable that transmits vibrations and doesn't hang down properly, so despite being cheap enough I don't think I'd get on with these either I'm afraid.

I don't really want to double the cost of the MH1's by buying a replacement cable and I'd only make a bodge of replacing it anyway, once I found the time and motivation to try that is, so I'll have to keep looking.

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #2,751 of 3,824

post #211

Thanks for the tip but the reviews on http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Ericsson-MH750-Headset-Stereo/dp/B007M0IXLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386539981&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+mh750 mention that it has an annoying cable that transmits vibrations and doesn't hang down properly, so despite being cheap enough I don't think I'd get on with these either I'm afraid.

I don't really want to double the cost of the MH1's by buying a replacement cable and I'd only make a bodge of replacing it anyway, once I found the time and motivation to try that is, so I'll have to keep looking.

Yeah, the mh1 is pretty microphonic, but both of these will be improved by wearing them over the ear and using a shirt clip.  Paying someone to recable them is probably at least $40-50 plus the $20 they cost, so you're looking at $70 or so for a recabled mh1.  That's not bad considering they used to retail for $80 though. :p  But if you're looking for something similar at that price range you probably won't find it.  The mh1 is pretty darn impressive at $20.  You could still find something good.  In fact, I'm very impressed with sony's "rockin' buds" at less than $10 freaking dollars, but they have no mic.  That's still just wrong that you can get an earphone as good as this for less than $10:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDREX10LP-BLK-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B004XXQI1U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386550536&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+earphones

There is a similar sony though for about $20-30 with a mic.  Not sure how it sounds, but if it's at all like the rockin' buds, which it looks identical to, it should sound decent.

http://www.amazon.com/DR-EX12IP-Stereo-Headphones-Remote-Black/dp/B004QOA93E/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1386550606&sr=1-2&keywords=sony+earphones+microphone

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #2,752 of 3,824
Got my cable ready to go.  Waiting for my neutrik connector in the mail.  Should be here tomorrow.  Then I'll probably grab some heatshrink locally, unless someone can (please) link some cheap heatshrink online somewhere.  I hope to recable these puppies in the next week or so.

I did some measurements and test braiding/twisting to determine and cut my lengths.  I'm going for something between most earphone cables (4ft) and the er4s (5ft) in length.  About 4.5' total length I think.  This ended up taking 4 wires of about 6 feet each.  4.5 (total length) + .5 to compensate for braiding/twisting (shouldn't even be that much) + 1 foot left for stripping, soldering, mistakes, etc.

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #2,753 of 3,824
  Got my cable ready to go.  Waiting for my neutrik connector in the mail.  Should be here tomorrow.  Then I'll probably grab some heatshrink locally, unless someone can (please) link some cheap heatshrink online somewhere.  I hope to recable these puppies in the next week or so.

I did some measurements and test braiding/twisting to determine and cut my lengths.  I'm going for something between most earphone cables (4ft) and the er4s (5ft) in length.  About 4.5' total length I think.  This ended up taking 4 wires of about 6 feet each.  4.5 (total length) + .5 to compensate for braiding/twisting (shouldn't even be that much) + 1 foot left for stripping, soldering, mistakes, etc.

I'm excited to see your work mate! I wish I have the skill to re-cable my MH1's...

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #2,754 of 3,824

I'm excited to see your work mate! I wish I have the skill to re-cable my MH1's...

I hope i have the skill! Haha. I'm worried about the small wires, so i just bought the parts to force myself to try it. Ha. As long as i can manage to solder the small wires i think i'll be ok :)

Dec 11, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #2,755 of 3,824
Hey, i am new here i would like to know if there is somewhere a recabling tutorial or instructions i am not used at soldering but i wanna try recabling my mh1.
I saw an offer here where i live(greece) they had bulk mh1 for 8 euros or 11 $~~ so i buyed 2 pieces.
I am willing to try to recable one of them but i have some questions,like what happens to the mic & buttons can i remove them entirely and still converting it to ctia and recabling them?

I am a newbie,so sorry for my dumb questions.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #2,756 of 3,824
  Hey, i am new here i would like to know if there is somewhere a recabling tutorial or instructions i am not used at soldering but i wanna try recabling my mh1.
I saw an offer here where i live(greece) they had bulk mh1 for 8 euros or 11 $~~ so i buyed 2 pieces.
I am willing to try to recable one of them but i have some questions,like what happens to the mic & buttons can i remove them entirely and still converting it to ctia and recabling them?

For CTIA versus OMTP, the difference is the MIC pin and the GND pin are swapped.

CTIA goes GND - MIC - R - L
OMTP goes MIC - GND - R - L

If you're removing the mic and buttons, you only have one single GND pin so you don't have to worry about it at all.

You would use a 3-pin TRS plug which goes:

GND - R - L

Which should work on any device.

Here is a diagram: http://www.simplecom.com.au/ebay/omtpvsctia.jpg

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #2,757 of 3,824

I'll be making a tutorial when i fo mine shortly...

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #2,758 of 3,824
I'll be making a tutorial when i fo mine shortly...

Looking forward for it,i am sure it will help a lot of people.
  For CTIA versus OMTP, the difference is the MIC pin and the GND pin are swapped.

CTIA goes GND - MIC - R - L
OMTP goes MIC - GND - R - L

If you're removing the mic and buttons, you only have one single GND pin so you don't have to worry about it at all.

You would use a 3-pin TRS plug which goes:

GND - R - L

Which should work on any device.

Here is a diagram: http://www.simplecom.com.au/ebay/omtpvsctia.jpg

Thanks a lot this cleared my mind a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back