[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Nov 23, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #2,671 of 3,824

Ohhhhhhhhhh schiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, i have found my MH1/C sugar moddie!!! Hook it up nut_nicks!!! Been dying to find someone that can recable these for me and i know you work for cheap cuz of your peon status so......
ksc75smile.gif

You probably just got a dud set like BIG EARs tbh, cuz even those analytical mofos up in that ER-4P thread are diggin' them despite the big bass qualities of these MH1/Cs

Look I'm not here to disrupt the thread I said my piece and that it. Any newbs should be well aware of the dismal quality control issues and make their purchase knowing the potential pitfalls.

As for modding someone elses. I have little to no motivation to do my own, why the hell would I do someone elses? Want a cheap ER4, buy an MH5, if you work at it you can pull one for under a hundred bucks.

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #2,672 of 3,824

Ohhhhhhhhhh schiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, i have found my MH1/C sugar moddie!!! Hook it up nut_nicks!!! Been dying to find someone that can recable these for me and i know you work for cheap cuz of your peon status so......
ksc75smile.gif

You probably just got a dud set like BIG EARs tbh, cuz even those analytical mofos up in that ER-4P thread are diggin' them despite the big bass qualities of these MH1/Cs

Look I'm not here to disrupt the thread I said my piece and that it. Any newbs should be well aware of the dismal quality control issues and make their purchase knowing the potential pitfalls.

As for modding someone elses. I have little to no motivation to do my own, why the hell would I do someone elses? Want a cheap ER4, buy an MH5, if you work at it you can pull one for under a hundred bucks.

I don't believe the mh1 has quality control issues.  That was discussed already here and by rin as well.  To each his own.  These are much more comfortable than any ety phone.  And still cheaper at the $20 some of us got them for.  That's a no brainer if they are the signature you're looking for.  Being higher priced used and unsure of the signature, sure stick with ety.  That is my first choice.  But these have just been an incredible cheap option with very good frequency response.  The mh1c shouldn't be discussed (very slightly bassier, quality control issues, etc.).  I have two perfect mh1 units as does a friend of mine.  All with identical sound quality and build.  There are far more than that all over the web and head-fi.  Like any phone there will be some duds, and the duds are usually the one you hear about, as happy owners are less likely to critique them.  Otherwise, there is no verifiable evidence that there are any quality control issues with the mh1 model.

On top of that it offers one of the flattest reference responses of ANY price range.  WIth only additional bass, which is fairly easily modded or eq'd down to reference levels.  This is backed by rin, clieos and other well known members who value quality and reference response.  Is it perfect? no. But none are.  It simply achieves a lot more than most do at a lot less cost.  That's the selling point.  It isn't an ety killer, although it's the closest thing I've heard. :p  It whoops most other iems though. :p

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #2,673 of 3,824
I don't believe the mh1 has quality control issues.  That was discussed already here and by rin as well.  To each his own.  These are much more comfortable than any ety phone.  And still cheaper at the $20 some of us got them for.  That's a no brainer if they are the signature you're looking for.  Being higher priced used and unsure of the signature, sure stick with ety.  That is my first choice.  But these have just been an incredible cheap option with very good frequency response.  The mh1c shouldn't be discussed (very slightly bassier, quality control issues, etc.).  I have two perfect mh1 units as does a friend of mine.  All with identical sound quality and build.  There are far more than that all over the web and head-fi.  Like any phone there will be some duds, and the duds are usually the one you hear about, as happy owners are less likely to critique them.  Otherwise, there is no verifiable evidence that there are any quality control issues with the mh1 model.

On top of that it offers one of the flattest reference responses of ANY price range.  WIth only additional bass, which is fairly easily modded or eq'd down to reference levels.  This is backed by rin, clieos and other well known members who value quality and reference response.  Is it perfect? no. But none are.  It simply achieves a lot more than most do at a lot less cost.  That's the selling point.  It isn't an ety killer, although it's the closest thing I've heard. :p  It whoops most other iems though. :p

+1

Rin measured multiple pairs that were all very consistent.

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #2,674 of 3,824

^ LoL, i told you had those HF5 already and didn't even bother using them and off they went CUZ i didn't wanna get ear raped. haha

Should have figured you Canned peps are stone cold. T_T

Guess my search continues.......

^ Yeppp what dolphin dood said, these MH1Cs are really capable iems and sounds great but there are no doubt many iems that sound just as good or even better under $100 nowadays. For $30 and under these are hard to beat and like i said there are just so many positives but is literally ruined by that big/ bulky mic/ cable, hence my quest to find someone to recable them for me.

Man why can't the dood that got his set recabled by some Chinese DIYer in China wayyy back in this thread hook some us up meng. That was the best and is still the best re-cabled jobs i have seen for these MH1Cs.

SWEET!!!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret/1425#post_8929588

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #2,675 of 3,824
I'm not that much of an iem guy, but I was going to buy the mh1's bc I needed 20 extra dollars for the free super shipper saving at amazon, but the mh1s are now 81 dollars, so I ended up buying the meh mee electronics m6 - not nearly as good as the mh1 but eh

Nov 24, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #2,676 of 3,824
I've received them with new Sony Xperia Z1, normally I wouldn't even touch bundled gear (not to mention I'm using 700+ IEMs now...), but I gave them a try, just to see how bad they were. And gues what? I was REALLY impressed! Not because they are great for bundled headphones, but because they're just great!

If you're still looking for them, you can get them from Poland for... 49 PLN (that's 15 USD!!!) here: http://www.ggmedia.pl/produkt.php/sony_ericsson/mh1_livesound

--
XenoAmp - a different audio player for Android: http://www.head-fi.org/t/688335/android-for-audioholics#post_9940597

Nov 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #2,677 of 3,824
I just received the adaptor today and used my MH1 for the first time.
All I have to say is "WOW".
I can't believe the sound quality of these tiny little things.
I was using my much more expensive shure E2 for some years now thinking they sounded great and they do, but these dirt cheap mini wonders are simply amazing. With no burn-in time. In all types of music...
My only regret is that I should have bought at least one more.
I really want one more so that I will try to replace the "stupid" cable.
What were they thinking when they chose this horrendous cable.
The most uncomfortable cable I have seen.

By the way, how can you order from this polish site if you live outside poland?

Nov 24, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #2,678 of 3,824
Nov 24, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #2,679 of 3,824
So, I read the review and bought a set on Amazon.com. I was very disappointed to hear their sound - it was as if L-R were OOP and there were only echoes. Surprisingly, if I rotated them the sound came back - but only on my Fiio X3.

I was fed up, took some CAT-5 cables and re-wired the entire headphone. Surprisingly, I think that got rid of the bass cloud they had (yeah, I know. Impossible, still). They do look nice, although a bit DIY. And wire microphonics  are hell. But the sound... is so awesome I had to get a proper MH1. Or so I thought.

Without reading the review properly, I ordered two new sets from here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370892247241?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Then I read the review and found out I probably had the MH1 and not the C's, and that was my issue. I suspect the ones I bought are MH1's too, and they won't work with my DAP or laptop.

Am I right? Are those MH1s? Should I try to cancel my order? (Must be too late by now...)

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #2,680 of 3,824
So, I read the review and bought a set on Amazon.com. I was very disappointed to hear their sound - it was as if L-R were OOP and there were only echoes. Surprisingly, if I rotated them the sound came back - but only on my Fiio X3.

I was fed up, took some CAT-5 cables and re-wired the entire headphone. Surprisingly, I think that got rid of the bass cloud they had (yeah, I know. Impossible, still). They do look nice, although a bit DIY. And wire microphonics  are hell. But the sound... is so awesome I had to get a proper MH1. Or so I thought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370892247241?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Then I read the review and found out I probably had the MH1 and not the C's, and that was my issue. I suspect the ones I bought are MH1's too, and they won't work with my DAP or laptop.

Am I right? Are those MH1s? Should I try to cancel my order? (Must be too late by now...)

Just get the converter. It's linked a couple pages back. Or use an amp, or solder the two pins together by the mic. There's a tutorial a couple pages back as well.

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #2,681 of 3,824

Just get the converter. It's linked a couple pages back. Or use an amp, or solder the two pins together by the mic. There's a tutorial a couple pages back as well.

Yeah.  The MH1 is superior, but it is an OMTP connector layout.  So you will get good sound on some devices and not others.  This is an easy fix with a cheap converter or even just using a small 3.5mm headphone splitter with just the one earphone.  Anything to join the ground and mic portion of the connector together.  That will give you good audio.  The converted is needed if you want audio controls as well.  Here is an example:  http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EC250-Headphones-Adaptor-1249-0456/dp/B009HW15UG

The mod I did is very easy if you can solder:  http://handtokey.blogspot.com/2013/11/converting-omtp-headphone-to-standard.html

You could even swap the connections (in that tutorial) if you want the controls and audio to work with most current devices (CTIA).  A few options there.  The C is CTIA compatible, but had more quality control issues, a tad more bass as well.  The MH1 is the way to go and just grab a converted or do a mod.

Nov 26, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #2,682 of 3,824
I've had the mh1c for about 7-8 months now.. N enjoyed it quite a bit.. But the left earpiece recently failed.. In wondering if it happened with anyone else..?
It started with a crackle.. On all sources n tracks.. N then it went silent.. It does work when i wobble the cable where meets the earpiece.. so i hacked open the rubber sheath. Found the cable half torn..
I've ordered 2 now.. Just in case..
But is there anything i can do with this one.. I've done the foam mod on it n the way it sounded after that.. it's kinda hard to throw it away.. please help..:triportsad:

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #2,684 of 3,824
If you remove the paper filters(really easy n they have adhesive underneath so real easy to put back too), you'll see longish foam things which are supposed to dampen the drivers.. N are supposed to be responsible for the bass.. If u remove. Or cut them in half.. U can alter the sq..i removed mine.. N for me the treble has more edge now.. N the bass sounds tighter..
In short.. If u can.. U should do it.. U won't be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back