[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Oct 24, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #61 of 3,824
heheheh right

good rythms

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #62 of 3,824
can you put more light on the build quality ?
good for day to day rough use?

also does the treble 'hide' for the smoother tone that you've emphasized on your review?

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #63 of 3,824
hey clieos ,

can you also give an idea about how good they react to amping?

aspects of imaging and do the mids sound forward in comparison to something like the 272s

sorry i didn't read the specs yet .. but just wondering how drastically the world has changed to make a 30$ pair of headsets sound on par with the 250 dollar etymotic er4s..
confused_face_2.gif

regards

Oct 24, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #65 of 3,824
could you measure the nozzle diameter please ?

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #66 of 3,824
The nozzle is about 4.5mm at the lip, not exact as I dont have a caliper, just used a ruler.

This flat j-cord feels kinda awkward wearing them behind the neck, does help with keeping the mic pointed toward the mouth though. So far enjoying the sound a lot, even pre-burn. I bought them hoping they would be a step up from the Brainwavz M1, which is one of my favorite budget IEMs, and so far it seems like they are
smile.gif
. Thanks for the review ClieOS!

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #69 of 3,824
Ok, I stumbled upon ClieOS helpful review and bought the MH1Cs from thetechtree on amazon for £12.90. They arrived within 48 hours in bulk packaging, and came with 4 pairs of tips of various size and a shirt clip. I can confirm the volume buttons, and play/pause/forward button all work on my Galaxy Note. Only expensive iems I've owned were monster turbine pros and I have to say I prefer the MH1Cs - they are excellent generalists and at this price are an outrageous bargain. Hope that helps :)

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #70 of 3,824
Hmmm...well it seems like my samsung galaxy s (as reported earlier by someone)is omtp.  The headset they came with don't work with any of my mp3 players except my iriver e10 (weird).  However, my incase sonics appear to have the ctia standard plug, as they don't work with my samsung galaxy s or my iriver.  Now, I have ordered the mh1 (not the c version) and I am hoping that there are only two standards and that they will work with my phone.  It is just a PITA that they will then need an adaptor to play nice with my sansas and other mp3 players (and my macbook).  Was wondering if I took out the third plastic ring on the omtp jack of the mh1's if that would allow them to be just headphones?  Did this with a pair of sharp md33's a while back but I am not sure if they used the omtp standard or a totally different one (so that they only worked with sharp players).  

Also, Clieos put a link to an adaptor to change it from omtp to ctia standard (cheers for that) but it is a plug kind.  Anyone know of an adaptor that is a cable kind, so that it does not put too much strain on the headphone jack?  thanks

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #71 of 3,824
Quote:
The nozzle is about 4.5mm at the lip, not exact as I dont have a caliper, just used a ruler.

This flat j-cord feels kinda awkward wearing them behind the neck, does help with keeping the mic pointed toward the mouth though. So far enjoying the sound a lot, even pre-burn. I bought them hoping they would be a step up from the Brainwavz M1, which is one of my favorite budget IEMs, and so far it seems like they are
smile.gif
. Thanks for the review ClieOS!

ok thks

I guess the tips I have including comply T500 will fit.

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #72 of 3,824
Quote:
Hmmm...well it seems like my samsung galaxy s (as reported earlier by someone)is omtp.  The headset they came with don't work with any of my mp3 players except my iriver e10 (weird).  However, my incase sonics appear to have the ctia standard plug, as they don't work with my samsung galaxy s or my iriver.  Now, I have ordered the mh1 (not the c version) and I am hoping that there are only two standards and that they will work with my phone.  It is just a PITA that they will then need an adaptor to play nice with my sansas and other mp3 players (and my macbook).  Was wondering if I took out the third plastic ring on the omtp jack of the mh1's if that would allow them to be just headphones?  Did this with a pair of sharp md33's a while back but I am not sure if they used the omtp standard or a totally different one (so that they only worked with sharp players).  

Also, Clieos put a link to an adaptor to change it from omtp to ctia standard (cheers for that) but it is a plug kind.  Anyone know of an adaptor that is a cable kind, so that it does not put too much strain on the headphone jack?  thanks

wouldn´t it be cheaper just to order a MH1C ? lol

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #73 of 3,824
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-MH1-Sony-Ericsson-Hi-Fi-Earphones-X10-Xperia-Mini-ARC-S-PLAY-NEO-RAY-/190744204909?pt=UK_Mobile_Home_Phones_Bluetooth_Acc_ET&hash=item2c693d966d

Are these really worth for around $22? If so I might just get them for everyday portable use when I don't feel like getting my ATH-M50s out. I haven't ever tested any In-Ear Earphones except a few very cheap ones which sound awful, the Apple earbuds which sound just as bad as $5 earphones, and Sonys MDR-EX50.

Now, talking about the Sony MDR-EX50... does anyone know how do the MH1s compare to these? I always liked the MDR-EX50s - I've had 3 pairs of these so far (before I really cared about sound).  Every single one of those MDR-EX50s broke after about 4-5 months. 1 ear piece stopped working and that's it. I'm wondering how reliable are the MH1s... can I just shove them in my pocket without worrying about the cord breaking apart near the 3.5mm plug? That's happened to me twice before on the MDR-EX50s.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #74 of 3,824
can you put more light on the build quality ?
good for day to day rough use?

also does the treble 'hide' for the smoother tone that you've emphasized on your review?

Build quality is excellent. It is designed with durability in mid and thus the use of the flat cable.

I won't say the treble is hiding. It isn't the main focus of the presentation but it does compliment the mid and bass. You'll still hear sparkle, but not next to your ear drum but rather just a feet or two away, if you know what I said.

hey clieos ,

can you also give an idea about how good they react to amping?

aspects of imaging and do the mids sound forward in comparison to something like the 272s

sorry i didn't read the specs yet .. but just wondering how drastically the world has changed to make a 30$ pair of headsets sound on par with the 250 dollar etymotic er4s..:confused_face_2:

regards

No amping is needed. But it is15ohm, so a source (and often a competent amp) with very low output impedance and decent current output will do better to tighten up the bass and improve the speed. I listen to my MH1 most on Sansa Fuse (so Clip+ should do just as well) actually.

RE272 with a balanced amp is still one of my gold standard on IEM. I won't say MH1 is competing on that level yet, with or without amp. You can expect a slight step down on every aspects of SQ when going from RE272 to MH1, but ti is not as dramatic as the price difference would suggest.

clieos, what about the sony MH750?

MH750 will be reviewed next week, probably. In short, it is a spin off project from MH1 for a similar sounding IEM to use as stock IEM with the Xperia, but with cheaper production cost. The overall tuning and FR curve are very similar to MH1, but it isn't as good in most aspects. With MH1 so cheap and MH750 being a free stock headset, I really don't think you should buy it if that's what's in your mind.

MEElec and FiiO both have the cable type 'smart adapter'. Personally I hate the cable type and rather go with the plug type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back