[REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret
Dec 27, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #1,561 of 3,824
I bought a pair of these alleged MH1C's on Ebay after reading all the positive comments (hype?) on here. They have the Sony Ericson Logo on them so am I right in thinking they have sent the wrong ones?... however they still work fine on my Galaxy S player but I'm disapointed to say that I find them very thin, peaky and not loud enough, very underwhelming and not really that much better than the Samsung buds that came with the 'S'. They are probably as disapointing as when I first got my a pair of Re-Zero's  Maybe the source doesn't suit them or maybe I just prefer a fuller, richer more bassy sound signature, I guess we all have different ears.

For those with similar tastes/ears as me, the Sony NC series earphones that came with the X, S and A? series players really are excellent... rich, deep, extended bass and have good clarity and can now be bought for only $16 plus postage. 
wink.gif

Not 100% sure on compatability with other Daps all I know is that the ones that came with my X-series work fine with my 'S' and sound fantastic. See- http://www.lunashops.co.uk/goods-527.html

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #1,562 of 3,824
Quote:
I bought a pair of these alleged MH1C's on Ebay after reading all the positive comments (hype?) on here. They have the Sony Ericson Logo on them so am I right in thinking they have sent the wrong ones?... however they still work fine on my Galaxy S player but I'm disapointed to say that I find them very thin, peaky and not loud enough, very underwhelming and not really that much better than the Samsung buds that came with the 'S'. They are probably as disapointing as when I first got my a pair of Re-Zero's  Maybe the source doesn't suit them or maybe I just prefer a fuller, richer more bassy sound signature, I guess we all have different ears.

For those with similar tastes/ears as me, the Sony NC series earphones that came with the X, S and A? series players really are excellent... rich, deep, extended bass and have good clarity and can now be bought for only $16 plus postage. 
wink.gif

Not 100% sure on compatability with other Daps all I know is that the ones that came with my X-series work fine with my 'S' and sound fantastic. See- http://www.lunashops.co.uk/goods-527.html

"They have the Sony Ericson Logo on them so am I right in thinking they have sent the wrong ones?"

Correct those are not MH1C as they only have the Sony name.

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #1,564 of 3,824
Quote:

Yes, the difference is the type of jack fitted but as they still work then I still consider my findings valid.

I have a pair of the MH1C and yeah, the difference should only be the jack type. With those IEMs and certain players, I have to slightly pull the plug out a bit to get their normal sound, or depress the mic buttons, otherwise they sound like what you described, thin, quiet, and lifeless. I would suggest giving the pull out or try with the buttons depressed because the MH1 is a very bass thumping set of IEMs. They perform pretty similar to my M-80s.

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #1,565 of 3,824
Quote:

Yes, the difference is the type of jack fitted but as they still work then I still consider my findings valid.

Press the centre button on the mic/remote when you are listening to music, then tell us if there is any difference. If it instantly sounds better, then you got the wrong version.

Dec 27, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #1,566 of 3,824
Quote:

Press the centre button on the mic/remote when you are listening to music, then tell us if there is any difference. If it instantly sounds better, then you got the wrong version.

Thank you, yes... that's much, much better, its in stereo instead of mono now! 
biggrin.gif

I still prefer the NC's much deeper extended bass and they are not quite loud enough for me, I also cant keep holding a button to play my music so they will be going back as wrong item sent. The picture on their listing shows the Sony logo instead of the green Sony/ericson emblem which are on the ones I got.

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #1,567 of 3,824
Quote:

Thank you, yes... that's much, much better, its in stereo instead of mono now! 
biggrin.gif

I still prefer the NC's much deeper extended bass and they are not quite loud enough for me, I also cant keep holding a button to play my music so they will be going back as wrong item sent. The picture on their listing shows the Sony logo instead of the green Sony/ericson emblem which are on the ones I got.

Not loud enough? You sure you aren't harming your hearing? The MH1s have plenty of volume, even driven direct from a Sansa Clip+. Sure it doesn't get as loud as my other IEMs, but I'd never listen to them at that volume anyway.

Dec 27, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #1,568 of 3,824
Quote:
Not loud enough? You sure you aren't harming your hearing? The MH1s have plenty of volume, even driven direct from a Sansa Clip+. Sure it doesn't get as loud as my other IEMs, but I'd never listen to them at that volume anyway.

I guess it depends on the player, I havent rooted the 'S' to install a custom kernal for voodoo sound yet so I'll try them on my Sony X-series.. it is is one of the louder Daps.

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #1,569 of 3,824
^ Its pretty much the same with the X-series, maybe very slightly louder but sounding far better with the higher res wavs on it.I still prefer the NC's extended bass but yep, they definately are punching well above their weight at that price.... certainly far better than Re-Zero's which cost 3-4 times as much. If they had sent me the correct versions I'd have kept them as a worthy back up.

My listening habits are usually at 90% volume with TF10's (which definately do have far better external noise isolation) for an hour in total during the day, probably to drown out external noise and then at 50-60% volume at night in bed before falling asleep. I last had my hearing tested 8 years ago and acheived way above average for my age group (^90%), It wont be that good now (37) but I hope I'm not damaging my hearing too much listening at that level for that intermitant total of one hour during the day. 
ksc75smile.gif
    :/

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #1,570 of 3,824
For those who are still interested, apparently Taobao still got tons of it under $20, but you need to order it via an Taobao agent.

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #1,572 of 3,824
Does Taobao have an English version site yet?

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #1,573 of 3,824
Quote:
Nice job! I love Olives. I'll have to try this out soon :)

How is the sound vs. the stock silicone?

To my ears, the olives dampened the harshness of the treble, and somewhat reduced the boominess/fullness of the low end.  I had to hook them up to an amp to get the low end to my liking.  I'm wondering if the reduction in bass has something to do with the distance between the olives and the driver; might have to try making a pair of tips where the olives are flush with the tubing on the monitor end, to see if the bass improves.  That said, however, I sort of like how far in the tips I have now go--blocks out the loud guy sitting in the cubicle next to me nicely.  

Good luck, if you try it out--let me know if you develop any refinements to that technique.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back