[REVIEW] Shure SE215
Jul 27, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #196 of 296
I also bought some 215s after reading this review -- They are as advertised, and I was absolutely satisfied.
But 3 pairs later in 2 months... I've decided I don't want to deal with Shure's (apparent) build quality issues anymore.

To be clear -- I was perfectly happy with the sound; durability was the issue.  The left monitor flaked out within a week on the first pair.  Second pair lasted 4 weeks before another monitor flaked out.  3rd pair had a cable fray (same thing happened to my old Shure 115s).

I moved on to a pair of VSonics GR07; not as bass-heavy, but awesome so far.

I guess I'm saying -- beware build quality issues.   Maybe I just had a bad run?

Jul 27, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #197 of 296
I have to replace it once almost a year after purchase, but it has been fine after that. I don't think it is a problem on SE215, but any IEM that uses the same connector. I am really puzzled why Shure and other IEM maker sudden interest in this connector. There are certain better alternative out there.

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #198 of 296
hello, im looking for a good pair of earphones, neve had ones (only the ones who came with the iphone) and i want to spend between 100 and 150 dollars, is this the best option for me? i want durability, quality, comfort, if is bassier, is okay if not doesnt matter, mainly for rock, pop, electronic.

if not, wich ones would you recommend? 

thanks !!!

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #199 of 296
Quote:
hello, im looking for a good pair of earphones, neve had ones (only the ones who came with the iphone) and i want to spend between 100 and 150 dollars, is this the best option for me? i want durability, quality, comfort, if is bassier, is okay if not doesnt matter, mainly for rock, pop, electronic.

thanks !!!

Yes. Get the SE-215.

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #200 of 296
Yeah the SE215 should do you well.

thanks !!!

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #201 of 296
Yep. get this!

Quote:

thanks !!!

Aug 5, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #205 of 296
For me, the black is thick enough. Clear shell could give impression of being a hearing aid.

Aug 5, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #206 of 296
Is durability still an issue with SE215?
I still read about occasional bad connections (sound cutting in/out due to external connector, or broken internal wire) in customer reviews in 2013.

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #207 of 296
I bought mine in February 2012 and had to replace the cable in April 2013. I have sat on these, trodden on them, fallen in the sea with them in, often sleep with them in, have snagged the cable and had them pulled from my ears more times than I can count. I just use them and do not treat them as fragile objects. I have chipped the plastic on one bud but not pierced it and I superglued the loose fragment and it was fine (this was quite a few months ago). I would be more careful but often forget I'm wearing the things and that there is a cable that might snag. I really can't complain.

Occasionally, maybe after a few months, there is a little noise caused by the connector moving. Pop the cable out and clean the connections both on the cable and on the earphone and be careful to align the dots on reinserting the cable. Problem solved.

I don't mind replacing the cable because my experience with other earphones is that sooner or later they will die from a cable fault, and it's usually sooner. In the last couple of years I had two pairs of Sennheiser IEMs, one Klipsch IEM and a Sony headphone all die from cable problems. The Shures keep on going. I have only one IEM which has lasted longer, a Sennheiser CX95 which has had a lot less use, so I can accept that occasionally spending $30 on a new cable is a reasonable solution.

I think you have to add to the price the cost of an occasional replacement cable (maybe annually or less often) and perhaps some extra tips depending on which you like. This is still cheaper and more convenient than finding yourself with a broken earphone that is difficult or uneconomic to repair. I have given up buying new IEMs, which suits me fine, and won't replace these unless they break or I win the lotto, in which case I'll get Shure SE535.

These things are durable and easy to maintain and I would buy the same again.

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #208 of 296
I actually chose the T-Peos H-100 over the Shure SE-215 for about the same price. Check it out.

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #210 of 296
It's an SE-215 thread, zamorin. There are other threads suitable for coming out of left field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back