[REVIEW] Shure SE215
May 29, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #227 of 296
Eh, compared to Etys maybe, but they actually have less bass than most popular consumer earphones (earpods, skullcandy, beats, erx)

The Shure SE215 even has a bigger bass than Beats by Dr.Dre headphones. 

May 29, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #228 of 296
SE215's are great. I bought a pair for my sister and mom. The only thing I don't like about them vs my SE535 is I notice the transition from a low note to a high note isn't smooth. It's almost like there is no sound for a very quick moment. I'm not quite sure how to explain it. It's like they can't deal with both low/high material at the same time. The 535's deal with the same sounds effortlessly. I guess perhaps that's just a flaw of the single dynamic driver. I hope this made sense haha

May 29, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #229 of 296
Depends what you mean by "bigger."
Sure the 215 looks like more on a graph, but if you hear it, its much tighter than the Beats, and doesn't have as much of that that woolly, overbearing muddy sound that makes the beats so "bassy."

May 29, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #230 of 296

Direct FR comparison between full size and in-ear usually doesn't work that well as full-size gets a bigger working surface on your skin so you will have better tactile response, especially on the lower bass region (as we 'feel' lower bass more than we 'hear' it). In contrast, in-ear doesn't get as much tactile response so elevated bass response often appears to be just enough.

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #231 of 296
  Regarding how long they last, the drivers have been doing real fine for me, and the only reason why I had to send it back to Shure for warranty was due to the MMCX plug on the cable to be slightly damaged after ~8 months or so. 

Nice. I'm still worried about the sound signature though. If they sound something like the M3s I'm sold.

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #232 of 296
I just got a pair for 70 dollars. I had the se scl2's previously which I got for 40 dollars (lost them on holiday) and now I'm questioning why I didn't just go for the 215's in the first place. The difference between these two earphones is ridiculously vast as well as what accessories come in the box for them. I have to say, these iems have a similar sound signature to Shure's full size headphones; it's not bad at all.

Some negatives I have to say is that the treble isn't sparkly enough and the foam tips make my ear canals itch after a while.

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #236 of 296
I'd say 80s pop would sound great. Classic rock is decent, the mids are forward and very nice. Can't speak to soft rock but its a warm earphone so it should do decently as long as you don't mind a bit of extra bass.

Thanks so much for the quick response.

It's not the lack of bass that I'm worried about. I think -judging from what I've read so far- it is adequate for these genres. I'm worried about the allegedly rolled off highs and what impact they have to guitar solos or high pitched vocals.

Jul 1, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #238 of 296
Au contraire, it has a bit of extra bass.

Guitars still sound nice, although electric guitars don't have a lot of immediacy or crunch to them; they still sound forward with good attack though. Bass guitars are awesome.

Good to know about the bass.
How about the highs? Do the guitar solos still sound edgy and inspiring?
Thanks a lot for your info.

Jul 1, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #239 of 296
ClieOS, I remember you reviewing the Fischer Audio Eternas V1 back then when released.
Seems that they offered a relatively similar sound signature with the SE215.
First of all is this a true statement and if yes, which of the 2 pairs is better?
I suspect the SE215s is a much better sounding headphone but at any case, your opinion who owned both, would be much appreciated!

I used to have the FA Eternas and I remember myself pretty satisfied with them back then. Unfortunately, I lost my pair over 3 years ago and had to upgrade to TF10s.

Jul 1, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #240 of 296
Not edgy, no. More like full and forward, but not edgy or crunchy. Bass guitar definitely sounds better and more "live."

Its a warm, full, smooth sound, with forward, slightly dry mids. Treble is recessed though so you won't get that real bite if you are an electric guitar fanatic.
Good to know about the bass.
How about the highs? Do the guitar solos still sound edgy and inspiring?
Thanks a lot for your info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back